4' 250 pound muskrat sighting on trans can #1 that bites!!

Little

Reaction score
For all the safety nazis. Think of all the enclosed van type semi trailers you meet on the street/hiway. Not a single one has any cargo tied down, not one. There aren't even anchors in the trailers. So before you get mouthing about a 450 lb. sled in a trailer being dangerous, think of all the 5-50,000 lb. stuff that is sitting loose on the floor of commercial freight trucks. A 500 lb. sled shifting 2 ft. max in a trailer isn't even noticeable. Mark

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Ok
For all the safety nazis. Think of all the enclosed van type semi trailers you meet on the street/hiway. Not a single one has any cargo tied down, not one. There aren't even anchors in the trailers. So before you get mouthing about a 450 lb. sled in a trailer being dangerous, think of all the 5-50,000 lb. stuff that is sitting loose on the floor of commercial freight trucks. A 500 lb. sled shifting 2 ft. max in a trailer isn't even noticeable. Mark

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Really? A 500lb sled in a 1000lb or less trailer is alot different than a 500lb anything shifting in 14 000lb trailer.
I'm pretty sure there are regs about how heavy an item inside an enclosed transport trailer has to be before it's required to be tied down. I will look into it. I definetly know it's less than 50 000lbs though!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Really?
Really? A 500lb sled in a 1000lb or less trailer is alot different than a 500lb anything shifting in 14 000lb trailer.
I'm pretty sure there are regs about how heavy an item inside an enclosed transport trailer has to be before it's required to be tied down. I will look into it. I definetly know it's less than 50 000lbs though!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a bunch of info in here: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/nacs/NSC_10_Cargo Securement.pdf

I stand corrected on the weight of the load as being a factor in load securement for enclosed transports.
The jist of what it does say though is that the walls must be able to withstand puncture of the load at a speed of 6.1m/sec, the bulkheads and walls must be able to support 50% of the loads weight. Also, in cases where the load isn't secured by tie downs inside the load cannot be permitted to shift at all and goes on to mention friction mats as possible required to assist in this. They too have a rating on them. All the ratings on the trailer are supposed to be available from the manufacturer.
I have cut into these walls before and I can tell you they are solid and much stronger than they look.

So a sled trailer where the sled isn't secured is probably not going to meet the above regs. Especially the flat deck trailers with the fiberglass shells that cover them!

Like I said before, use common sense.......

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

Dude, are you serious?

I work in the patch and drive mean machines!

I am missing all you Regulation points on weight and security off loads..

Please define?

Good ladies ride in Revy though!!!!!!!!

Any other gals will post some pi<<<<<<<<

Little

Reaction score
Having been in the trucking biz for 39 yr. I can assure you I am serious. There are no anchors in van trailers. Common sense dictates the carrier would try to minimize load shift, mitigating risk to load shift/damage, placing cargo close together and against walls. Some van trailers are 30 ga. aluminum skin only, with 1"x4" formed channel posts holding a roof of 32 ga. and a 12"-24" 1/4" plywood kicker around the bottom. Not much different than an enclosed combo trailer.
Also, snowmobliles would normally be loaded side by side, close together, touching the wall, but even loaded down the center the most movement would be less than 2'. I don't know about the small single axle trailers but my 30' enclosed weighs almost as much as my truck. It would be all but impossible to get a sled to move with enough force to cause unit to skid sideways due to sled shift.
To each their own, but tying of sleds in an enclosed is not a safety issue. Mark

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common sense??? I thought Webster removed those words a few years back. I think they should start selling in stores, right next to condoms.

Top Bottom