30" Zillas finally on my 700 Grizzly

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a nice pic of you using the thumb throttle, no more still pics!!! Haha

Sent from my white iPhone 4

Yeah, we need a SxS in our riding group so we have a dedicated camera man. Or we could just give it to the guy with mudlites since hes not moving most of the time anyways :rofl:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we need a SxS in our riding group so we have a dedicated camera man. Or we could just give it to the guy with mudlites since hes not moving most of the time anyways :rofl:

I got a pretty good SLR I bring on trips, let me know if you need one more rider!

Sent from my white iPhone 4

bowhunter

Reaction score
Its almost time for me to be getting new tires on my grizz 700. I have 26" MudLites on right now but are starting to wear fast. They seemed decent when they were new. If I got 28" Zillas, is it going to be a huge difference or just a bit? Seems like my MudLites dont clean out very good. Kinda turn into slicks in the thick stuff. I like the outlaws or silverbacks but seem really heavy and the cost is alot higher too. I ride trais and deep holes and lots of skeg all in the same day so was wanting a good smooth tire but one that will pull me through the deep stuff.

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its almost time for me to be getting new tires on my grizz 700. I have 26" MudLites on right now but are starting to wear fast. They seemed decent when they were new. If I got 28" Zillas, is it going to be a huge difference or just a bit? Seems like my MudLites dont clean out very good. Kinda turn into slicks in the thick stuff. I like the outlaws or silverbacks but seem really heavy and the cost is alot higher too. I ride trais and deep holes and lots of skeg all in the same day so was wanting a good smooth tire but one that will pull me through the deep stuff.

Zillas are the best all terrain tire, they are far behind an outlaw or silverback for raw mud, but are at the top of the top for all other tires. Get some 28x12x12's on all 4 corners and never look back. Or Spend a crap load of money on axles and get 29.5" outlaws :d

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or Spend a crap load of money on axles and get 29.5" outlaws :d

You hear that alot but Me and a few other guys I know with the 29.5 Laws don't seem to bust axles? Very interesting. A buddy of mine put Laws on his 08 Grizz all stock except the tires and rims and he rode that way for 1500km until he busted his first CV joint.

I do agree about the Zillas being the best all round tire though. I loved my 28's but was tired of getting towed by my buddies running Laws.

bowhunter

Reaction score
Will the zillas be alot better in the mud then my mudlites are? I don't want to spend the extra money on axles if I went with outlaws or silverbacks though. How are the mudzilla tires from maxxis? They look like a pretty aggressive mud tire too!

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will the zillas be alot better in the mud then my mudlites are? I don't want to spend the extra money on axles if I went with outlaws or silverbacks though. How are the mudzilla tires from maxxis? They look like a pretty aggressive mud tire too!

Mudzilla's have a longer lug then zillas, probably not the best out there for harder surfaces, but they go through more mud the the zilla's will, they are up there in weight too!!!

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The mudzillas are barely any better then the zillas in mud yet weigh the same as outlaws and silverbacks. And zillas are better then a mudlite for sure.

bowhunter

Reaction score
If I put 28x12x12 all the way around on my grizz, would they rub anywhere in the front when steering or compression the suspension lots?

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I put 28x12x12 all the way around on my grizz, would they rub anywhere in the front when steering or compression the suspension lots?

My buddy runs 28x12x12s all the way around and has zero issues. They run a bit short.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read about shimming the primary clutch to lower the belt and affectively make it a smaller pulley but didn't think it would make that much of a difference! Thanks, I'm going to order the shims and do the mod to my '07! I'm only running 26's, so would I still need a stiffer spring for the primary?

Thanks man, thats exactly how I was describing it tonight haha,

I'm going to tell you a crazy trick, it will cost you a massive 15 dollars. Go to your local stealership and order 2 of these part #'s. 90201-225A4-00. That is a 1mm shim out of a yamaha sled. Put both of these shims in your clutch. Look up the way to do it properly as I cant go into details right now, I still run all 20gram weights, just have the shims and a purple EPI spring and it pulls that hard.

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read about shimming the primary clutch to lower the belt and affectively make it a smaller pulley but didn't think it would make that much of a difference! Thanks, I'm going to order the shims and do the mod to my '07! I'm only running 26's, so would I still need a stiffer spring for the primary?

You shouldn't have to change your clutch spring. If you're happy with your engine breaking and shifting you'll be fine.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There are NO springs in the primary on a Grizzly, just secondary and wet clutch. You will loose top end with the shims, only way not to is with a machined primary. :)

bowhunter

Reaction score
Who seems to have the best price for tires in Alberta? Im in Calgary. What should i expect to pay for these when its time?

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are NO springs in the primary on a Grizzly, just secondary and wet clutch. You will loose top end with the shims, only way not to is with a machined primary. :)

Thanks! I've never had the clutch off my Grizz, 8200km and trouble free though I'm sure it could use a service. As for the top end that's not an issue, most of the time I'm crawling, not doing 80km/h + :D

Top Bottom