2nd class power engineers

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here got their 2nd or 1st class? Looking at getting my 2nd and wondering experience with SAIT or BCIT courses. Also anyone looking to sell 2nd class books?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm only a 4'th,Good luck on your quest for your 2'nd.Do you have your hour's to
challenge your part A?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here got their 2nd or 1st class? Looking at getting my 2nd and wondering experience with SAIT or BCIT courses. Also anyone looking to sell 2nd class books?

my cousin just got his 3rd, works at the coop refinery. has it so good there but doesnt like regina, hes looking at week in week out. Has a baby on the way, told him week in week outs gonna suck...

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got 2 papers to go till im done. Just used the pan global books and mike maidens power prep courses for the electrical and the mechanics paper.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished a tutorial for the 2nd class Thermo paper with BCIT and highly recommend them. I've never had a course for the 2nd through SAIT so can't speak to them. Sanja at BCIT is a phenomenal instructor and the course is excellent. I write on the 19th and if I pass just have the Boilers paper left. Rocketron you can have the 2nd class books I've got other than the Thermo and Boilers which I will send to you when I'm done with them. PM me if your interested with your contact info.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know absa changes the rules and can write without hours.
Our plant is looking for 1/2/3/4 class guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's the same as BC you can write all the papers except the last one where you need either a course or hours signed off by your steam chief to write the final paper.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the 2 year program at SAIT and then took 2 of Maidens classes ( work sent me ) ended up w a 2nd. Mikes classes are the ticket for exam prep. 1st class is a lot of work, and with the 7 year limit you can't waste any time. If you wanted off shift it might be the ticket though.

'12 T4

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SAIT is the world leader in power engineering, there is a reason all the big plants in ft mac have been funneling money into SAIT's power engineering facilities for the last decade ( NAIT as well but not as much). Thats where I took my schooling, facilities and instructors are top shelf and every other school in Canada offering these courses are just trying to follow suit with the standard that SAIT is setting. I dont have my 2nd, im a bit into my third and have been for awhile, lost interest though a couple years ago and could care less if I ever get it now, not a big fan of night shifts or shift work in general so eventually Im going back into concrete, it is our family business

Last edited:

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I'm about 6 months shy of time but wanted to get started on it, been a long time since I've looked at a textbook! I have a pretty cushy job right now, chief engineer at local brewery work m-f 7-3. Don't really need to get it but it may open some doors in the future.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished a tutorial for the 2nd class Thermo paper with BCIT and highly recommend them. I've never had a course for the 2nd through SAIT so can't speak to them. Sanja at BCIT is a phenomenal instructor and the course is excellent. I write on the 19th and if I pass just have the Boilers paper left. Rocketron you can have the 2nd class books I've got other than the Thermo and Boilers which I will send to you when I'm done with them. PM me if your interested with your contact info.

Than you for the offer! PM on the way!

ABOMB177

Reaction score
The panglobal books are useless when it come to the math portions. Mike Maidens course and reeds books are what you need to get lots of example questions. I reccomend sticking with it to get a second for sure. A first seriously limits your job opportunities. Ive been sitting on the hiring commity and guys with a first applying for jobs other than cheif never get them and will always be passed up. A first gets you off shift and gets you just straight managment. A second with expierance can get off shift and do 90% of the same roles as a first without having doors closed.

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Ol man got his first class back in Newfoundland through SAIT we are both working at shell's Albian sands mine he's currently Production Unit supervisor and Steam chief in Utilities plant, i'm just an operator in extraction

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ABSA changes the hours rules in January. You can now write all your papers and get the steam time after. Worked on my first for a couple of years, then decided I didn't want a day job, enjoy shiftwork too much(Time Off!!). Lost 3 papers when they switched to new first class.

I took the two year power engineering at SAIT many years ago. ;)

Top Bottom