27" or 28" ITP Mega Mayhems on 2012 550 eps Polaris

MudChukker

Reaction score
Just looking to get some feedback on my idea for new tires on my 2012 polaris 550 eps. I plan on putting the ITP Mega Mayhem's still undecided on the size 27" or 28" i'm not a speed demon so power loss is not a issue. But i was planning on putting the same width on front and back, so that be 11" on the front and back. just wondering if there are any major disadvantages to doing this?
the pro's that i can think of are;
- my machine will be able to float a little more
- the front tires will dig and pull rather then spin and dig the front end down as it does with 8" or 9" front tires
- better traction in muddy, muskeg, clay terrain
- be able to rotate tires when the rear get worn down
- fronts will grab better on rutted out trails
- the machine will be a tank.

Cons;
- steering will be affected?
- alot more weight on the front end
- power loss?
- turning radius will be effected?
- blowing axles?
- belt slippage or break from increase in resistance on the front tires?

I'm some what of a newbie so any feedback would be awesome. also 27" or 28" which would be better for my machine in overall performance?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the 27" they're great tires...
The only downside is the steering got a little tougher on really slow tight turns.
There's a good chance I'm headdin out to Hells Half Acre tommorrow if ya want to check em out.
016.JPG

MudChukker

Reaction score
so what width do you have on the front compared to the back? do you think there would be much more of a benefit by going to 28"?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went with the 9's on the front and the 11's on the rear.
I would stay with 27's unless your gonna consider gettin a little more power rollin. At the very least a clutch kit would be wise.
I've done a few tweaks to squeeze a little more power outta the the old girl, but nuthin major .
When I jump into a big bore kit its gonna be on new machine right outta the box. And very likely a bigger version of these tires, but thats today and
things could change in a couple of months as I research/learn more.

Fresh motor 002.JPG

MudChukker

Reaction score
Ya i hear ya is that a 800 renegade? i'm riding a 550 polaris eps but the power that little engine pumps out is actually surprising. your right i think i'll stick with 27" but go with 11" on the front (If they fit) instead of 9" those are deadly looking tires though dude how many Km you got on them?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got around 150km on em so far but it was mostly mud...

Attachments

• 493250.gif
    493250.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 176

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they measure to a true 11" wide, you WILL be breaking cv joints, I've snapped two so far with 28x11 zillas on the front of mine and the Zilla measures to 10" wide for the 11's. The meyhams have a bigger lug and weigh a couples pounds more to. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, just to budget for some better aftermarket axles.

MudChukker

Reaction score
oh ch!t ! the last thing i want to do is break cv's did you notice any power loss with the 850 ? thats good to know i think i'll definately stick with the recommended 9" in hte front and 11" in the back.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will notice some power loss, I throw mine in low when I'm going through skeg, both times I broke the cv's was in sticky skeg and I think I was turning to the left both times was the left outter cv that snapped. I'm switching over to rhino full axles for the fronts.
My buddy runs 30" zillas on his 850xp and he never uses low till he broke his belt a week ago and found out the OEM belts are $182 from the stealer.

MudChukker

Reaction score
I'm almost wondering if a guy should go to a less aggressive tread tire. I mean i want performance in the rutted out mudd holes but i definately do not wanna be the guy that has to get towed back to camp lol. Does anyone know how the GBC grim reapers are ? or the spartacus tires ? it be a no brain for me to get the maxxis big horns but you can only get them in 26" for the 14" rim

MudChukker

Reaction score
Actually piss on it. I'm gonna go with 28" Mega Mayhems and just do a clutch kit at the same time. Anyone know what a good clutch kit is for a aggressive tire. i ride in mud, skeg, clay, creeks, trees, hardpacked. but i never like to go around mud holes lol

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give er man you'll be happy with em....
I got a Dalton clutch kit from Katy @ Rapid Revolutions and it works well...
Not sure how hard yours would be to do, The Can Am was pretty easy though only about 1-1/2 hours...
.....and I really didn't know what the phuk I was doing....

MudChukker

Reaction score
Ya i talked to katy at rapid about a sport utility clutch kit. I think a mudding clutch kit would be too much for what i'am doing. And i gotta give rapid revolutions a thank you they are always willing to talk about mods or answer any questions i got i recommend them to anyone looking to do work on their machine or looking to get aftermarket parts.

Top Bottom