26km on new sled and it caught fire

Dr. K

Reaction score
So I took my new M1100turbo limited down to sicamous for a christmas ride. We went into eagles pass and were having a great day with lots of powder. i was sidehilling across a gully and got bucked off, the sled went on its side and I was a few feet from the sled. My tether cord was attatched to my wrist and worked as it should, sled shut off when the tether cap pulled off. So I lugged my way back to the sled and tipped it back on both skis and started it up, within few seconds I noticed black smoke from under the side panel so I quicly shut it off, opened the side panel and threw some snow in on. The fire was directly on the turbo. I removed the hood to try and find where the fire had started and noticed a trail of oil running out of the oil tank vent, down the brace tube from the steering post to the bulkhead and directly onto the exhaust. Fortuntely I caught the fire in time and there wasnt alot of damage and the sled was still driveable so I immediately rode it out. The side panels onthe sled are now a little warped and have some mushy spots, but for the most part at a glance the sled appears to be relatively ok.

I have been riding in the mountains for quite a few years and have alot of experience with turbo sleds, I even owned a Z1 turbo last year that I streatched and rode for half the season, and that sled took a beating and I literally rolled it numerous times with no issues. So this isnt like this is my first 4 stroke turbo and I was just being foolish.

i believe that if cat was on their game they would have installed a check valve (rollover valve) for the oil tank or AT LEAST routed the oil vent tube to a more suitable location where it would not cause any damage.

Currently I am working with my dealer and calling cat canada tomorrow to try and get this issue resolved. Apparently there have been others like me with a flash fire under the hood caused by the oil vent tube leaking.

At this point Im just giving other guys the heads up on what could happen to them. I am currently trying to find a check valve to install in the hose, and if i am unsuccesful I will be extending the vent tube and routing it down into the right footwell by the tool kit (not the best idea but probably the safest location I can see for the time being)

I will update this post with pics as soon as i get a chance and I will also let everyone know how my bout goes with cat. Im not getting my hopes up just yet but I definitely plan on getting resolution somehow. Words cant really describe how upset I am with the situation right now. I had really high expectaions for this sled and so far Im at a loss for words for how dissapointed I am.

Hope everyone is having a good holidays! LEt it snow

DR. K

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dr. K and keeps us informed on how you make out. Mine is currently at the dealership waiting on an a-arm and sub frame after an encounter with a rock about 3 weeks ago. I'll be looking into getting a check valve installed while it's still at the dealership.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dr. K and keeps us informed on how you make out. Mine is currently at the dealership waiting on an a-arm and sub frame after an encounter with a rock about 3 weeks ago. I'll be looking into getting a check valve installed while it's still at the dealership.

Are you guys telling us that even the Cats bend up when they hit a rock. Who whudda thunk. I thought this was only Ski doo related?:rolleyes:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys telling us that even the Cats bend up when they hit a rock. Who whudda thunk. I thought this was only Ski doo related?:rolleyes:

With those big rock finders on the front, I'm surprised there's not more.

sent from a phone

Dr. K

Reaction score
Let me just clarify, the tube in referring to is clear and comes from the back of the chain case and loops around and up the post. So chain case oil is the oil I'm talking about, and I guess I answered my own question about why the z1 never lit up, the z1 had a diamond drive and not a chain case.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Hope you make out good....probably a loophole in the owners manual that tells you while riding do not roll onto side

sledhead80

Reaction score
Dang man that really sucks. I hope they fix it for you, they really should warranty something like that, that's just a poor design. Good luck.

White86

Reaction score
If anyone is wondering this is the Hose that Dr.K is talking about...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325021648.740386.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325021648.740386.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 473
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325022056.980635.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325022056.980635.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 470

Dr. K

Reaction score
Yes that is the hose!! Thanks. Also I have found a suitable check valve. Turns out our friends on the bombi side have just the fix. The 2 stroke oil tanks on the xps have a check valve that fits the same size hose. It is currently used on the vent hose for the oil tank and vents into the airbox. Went and bought one today from the skidoo dealer $8ish. So if any guys are interested here is the part number 275500398. I will post pics when I get a chance. Sorry but I've been working late the past few days.

Outacontrol

Reaction score
I don't have a cat but I know a couple guys who do have 12 800s -
could this be the same situation on the 800s minus the turbo?

Top Bottom