250 polaris atv

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a shop service manual for these bikes preferably a downloadable one. I have 3 polaris 250's ranging in years from 87 to 91 all need some repaire, if i can not get them all running good I will part them out instead

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked them up and have not got through them all.The one I had running has good compression but smoked really bad and left a puddle of oil underneath.Cleaning the carb now and going to try again. It is bad because I do not know exact years or exact history. One is a 87 cyclone 250S,the newest one 91 trailboss the other looks exactly the same as the trailboss just no electric start.I was told that the trailboss just had a 1800 bill at the dealership for engin work but compresion is only at 110 now not sure if that is enough for it to run properly.Going to be a project on all of them. I would like to make at least one good one and then part out the rest.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the trailboss being a 2 stroke not sure if thats why the lower compression,If it just came out of the shop should be fine dose it start and idle fine?

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fired the trailboss this morning by primeing it and it ran hoooked everything back up tried to start it again and nothing at all have spark but pulls over real easy going to do a comp. test tomorrow does anybody knoe what it is supposed to be?
The other 250 think it is an 89 got it running well but as son as i put it in gear it kills the engine :mad:

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will talk to a guy i know at the local polaris shop tomorrow and ask him whet the comperisson should be and will let you know tomorrow afternoon if you like have to talk to them anyway about some parts for mine.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok talked the guys i know at the shop and comprssion should be 120-125psi anything under 100 need a top end which is pretty easy to do and not bad was quoted about 250 for parts.hope this helps.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well first test came up at 100 but the next few came up at 75-80 so it is definatly week the local polaris tech here said it should fire on that. That is as far as I got so far.going to try some more later I will keep you updated and thanks again for your help

mud

Reaction score
I realize this thread is old, but how did you make out on these machines? I have a 88 Cyclone 250 with the same shift problem and wondering if you found out the problem

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sold the quads as is so never got the problem figured out:d Now room in the garage for winter

Top Bottom