2019 Alpha

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is this hitting on the drivers?

Maybe the front shock is bottoming out to easily?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah could just be a weak point I guess. Lots of material there though.

If was mine I would have dealer look at it and if couldn’t get part right away it would get welded,plated and reinforced and ride on .

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the first one but the ones I just posted look like stress cracks.

The top of the rail is where the cracks are starting.
Bottoming the suspension should stress and cracked the bottom.
Hard impact would stress the top of the rail as it would be the piece under tension not compression.
Weird to have a compression break on metal.
Either way a weak point may need to be addressed.
Going to give mine a thorough going over today since I have been laying some hard riding on it.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard impact would stress the top of the rail as it would be the piece under tension not compression.
Going to give mine a thorough going over today since I have been laying some hard riding on it.

They are breaking in various places on rail... there are some cracked on top, bottom, front part of rail, mid rail ... so it’s guessing what & why at this time. The TKI I think is a bandaid for portion of rail. It’s possible some are going to be fine and others won’t due to maybe there is a process/compound/temperature/press/molding issue who the hell knows. I think we might have a problem Houston!!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say if the rail by the antistab is contacting the drivers when the track bottoms that would put a downwards force on the beam and cause the topside cracks.

Probably not designed for that kind of force, in that direction.

Any contact marks on yours?

Would be interesting to let all the pressure out in the front shock and see if it does make contact in a sled stand.
a0125ac2ef50d0ce40f0572c116105c9.jpg

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have to look at a brace kit for something preventative. Did not notice anything unusual with mine but I don’t mind beefing stuff up.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder if that would help or make matters worse. Look at the cracks in the above photo. It looks to me where the stop is bolted or screwed its also stress cracking.

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what some of these guys weigh.... I have a strong feeling these stress cracks are from some of the "bigger boys" bombing down a whooped up trail at 90 miles an hour. Which is hard on any sled, but would be worse on a single rail.
You have remember too AC puts very little air pressure in the center shock from stock. This could make the issue above worse.

I'm a smaller guy and take it easy on the trail, but ride hard were they are supposed to be ridden hard and I've had zero issues. A few other guys on social media sending these sleds too without issues.

WesG

Reaction score
Just info for anyone interested.

180 lb rider. 90 lbs front ski shocks clicker 1. 40 lbs fts clicker 1. 145 lbs rts clicker 1. 170 miles on the machine. During this time, I did not hit anything that made me think I would have damaged my rear skid. Finished a ride, thawed the sled out in the shop. Set air pressures up (75 skis, 55 fts, 140 rts, all clicker 2 except fts clicker 3) checked sliders, set track tension, loaded sled on the deck and drove to riding area. Pulled in and found my rail broke between the bottom fts mount and the bogy wheel. Didn't even get to unload. Figure it must have had a hairline crack and the drive in finished it off. Did not see a crack in the shop but that could be easily missed when not really looking for cracks. No signs of impact on the rail or suspension. Local shop did a great job of getting me fixed up and going so not a big ride time loss. 38 years old so I am not a road warrior. Best way I could describe it would be I cruise on the moguls not pound.

Love the sled. Most fun snowmobile I have rode (started in the mountains in 98').

Had to turn the photo to meet the size requirements

Attachments

• Skid.PNG
    Skid.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 319

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just info for anyone interested.

180 lb rider. 90 lbs front ski shocks clicker 1. 40 lbs fts clicker 1. 145 lbs rts clicker 1. 170 miles on the machine. During this time, I did not hit anything that made me think I would have damaged my rear skid. Finished a ride, thawed the sled out in the shop. Set air pressures up (75 skis, 55 fts, 140 rts, all clicker 2 except fts clicker 3) checked sliders, set track tension, loaded sled on the deck and drove to riding area. Pulled in and found my rail broke between the bottom fts mount and the bogy wheel. Didn't even get to unload. Figure it must have had a hairline crack and the drive in finished it off. Did not see a crack in the shop but that could be easily missed when not really looking for cracks. No signs of impact on the rail or suspension. Local shop did a great job of getting me fixed up and going so not a big ride time loss. 38 years old so I am not a road warrior. Best way I could describe it would be I cruise on the moguls not pound.

Love the sled. Most fun snowmobile I have rode (started in the mountains in 98').

Had to turn the photo to meet the size requirements
Junk. Cat has a big problem on there hands.

IMO you have too much in the front shocks and not enough in the center shock and the rear could probably be 150-160.

I am starting to think these failures are because of bottoming.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the front skid shock mounted on one side like it appears to be, it would be putting some uneven forces on the skid at that point in my opinion. Perhaps that is part of the issue? Its hard to tell where all these failures are occurring, but I've seen a few for sure where the nose has broken off.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode an alpha on the weekend. Some poor guy was brave enough to lend it to me for 30 min or so. All i can say is... i bleed doo yellow, and the alpha one up's it. Anyone that says different is full of it. and i would say its power is equal to an 850 do0... its amazing what real clutches can accomplish. Bravo.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Junk. Cat has a big problem on there hands.

IMO you have too much in the front shocks and not enough in the center shock and the rear could probably be 150-160.

I am starting to think these failures are because of bottoming.

Is this because of low snow levels till recently and things were hit?........or is it a design problem?.......
if it's the latter.....design issue...that is one of the downsides of buying the 1st year of production.....you are the real test rider.....???
I'm sure Cat will come through with a warrantable fix or upgrade........may take time, likely see some changes in the 2nd year.

Top Bottom