2019 Alpha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are 2 kinds of sleds in the mountains CATS and dogs

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ideally it isn’t designed to rocket off of hard objects nor are the conventional twin rail designs but we all know it’s sometimes unavoidable or unintentional so it seems like maybe Cat needs to either make it stronger in that area or make that section a replaceable piece. Simply from a replacement cost/serviceability perspective. And availability.

All the ones I’ve seen breaking on the interweb all seem to break in the same place.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder how hard they are hitting rocks.
I came off the sled sideways way harder than when I crushed my 850 bulkhead and nothing.
Hit a rock head on and over the bars and nothing.
Hit a tree stump and over the bars sideways....Nothing.
Pounded the sled down Renshaw whooped out at up to 100kph and nothing.
I am not being kind at all to my first cat and it is flawlessly withstanding the beating.
Me thinks some one not telling the truth on how hard the impacts have been..........

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder how hard they are hitting rocks.
I came off the sled sideways way harder than when I crushed my 850 bulkhead and nothing.
Hit a rock head on and over the bars and nothing.
Hit a tree stump and over the bars sideways....Nothing.
Pounded the sled down Renshaw whooped out at up to 100kph and nothing.
I am not being kind at all to my first cat and it is flawlessly withstanding the beating.
Me thinks some one not telling the truth on how hard the impacts have been..........

If you see the actual pic the idler wheel has a flat spot hard to see on that screen shot but you can kinda see top of wheel is flat.. but said failure with no impact ???

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an observation - Cat themselves stated that the Alpha was intended for deep snow only, hence why they also offer the MC and Hardcore. Is the single rail weaker then a two rail setup? I would think so, and in our quest for lighter sleds, Ice Age sells a lot of Bomber rails for the aggressive guys these days. Think of it as a footprint, do you think there is more pressure under a skate blade or a snowshoe? The impacts are absorbed better over two rails as the track acts as a shock absorber between them if you hit something dead center...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always said if you hit something hard enough or something Mother Nature put on the planet a million years ago things will bend or break. Today’s new sleds have amazing suspensions and cushion a lot of hits that happen at low or high speed. Mountain sleds are built for powder not hitting things. People just need to understand that instead of blaming the manufacturer for all their self inflicted problems.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always said if you hit something hard enough or something Mother Nature put on the planet a million years ago things will bend or break. Today’s new sleds have amazing suspensions and cushion a lot of hits that happen at low or high speed. Mountain sleds are built for powder not hitting things. People just need to understand that instead of blaming the manufacturer for all their self inflicted problems.
I agree on the first one but the ones I just posted look like stress cracks.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya lots are breaking or cracking.... there is 10 now from what I’ve read on FB pages. Well I shall try to break mine I guess.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya lots are breaking or cracking.... there is 10 now from what I’ve read on FB pages. Well I shall try to break mine I guess.
I talked to the byes at carbon sled a while back and they were thinking of making a carbon fiber rail, maybe if this turns into a big problem they will.

Carbon Fiber Rail would be sweet.

Top Bottom