2018 Cat Engine

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_large_cities

Take your pick.

IMO they should be dynoed at the elevation they are intended to be ridden at.

But that's just my 2C

Agreed.
8353454b43c445abe19a210eec059464.gif

914708e775070adae559a681e7a3aa92.jpg

And this is why they should. How can a 2008 800 make more then the 2010. They need to dyno all of the brands at same time and same altitude with the same dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My home town cat dealer told me they will be keeping cc's at 800 and looking to bump 15 to 20 hp. Cat race department is pretty involved in the drag racing and would be closing quite a few doors on championships in the stock 800, modified 800 ect classes if their flagship motor was bigger. I'm not a racer and dont understand how it all works but I guess there could be merit to staying at 800cc for that application.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My home town cat dealer told me they will be keeping cc's at 800 and looking to bump 15 to 20 hp. Cat race department is pretty involved in the drag racing and would be closing quite a few doors on championships in the stock 800, modified 800 ect classes if their flagship motor was bigger. I'm not a racer and dont understand how it all works but I guess there could be merit to staying at 800cc for that application.

They may be building more than one new engine don't know, is 15 hp more possible sure, can they past emissions not likely. Using 600 numbers @125 hp the 800 is around 165 hp. To get 15 hp more you need a pipe, Jaws says 12 hp, pretty close but fuel needs to be added wont pass emissions. Unless AC has new technology, in order to get more hp you need more fuel. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Yamaha is back in the game with the Sidewinder legitimate sled. Yamaha is known for a high grade product and great quality. I believe we will see more cooperation between the two companies and many great new products.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More fuel is deffently needed to make more power but with direct injection and semi direct injection they can get a more complete burn close to stoic at most engine loads ......i would have to look more into it but if you look at the automotive industry yes all cars/trucks have to pass emmisions but not at wide open trrottle its called enrichment mode and at WOT its in open loup and does not have to meet emmisions

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They may be building more than one new engine don't know, is 15 hp more possible sure, can they past emissions not likely. Using 600 numbers @125 hp the 800 is around 165 hp. To get 15 hp more you need a pipe, Jaws says 12 hp, pretty close but fuel needs to be added wont pass emissions. Unless AC has new technology, in order to get more hp you need more fuel. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Yamaha is back in the game with the Sidewinder legitimate sled. Yamaha is known for a high grade product and great quality. I believe we will see more cooperation between the two companies and many great new products.
Couldn't agree more.
And the King Cat 9000 looks mean.
Little work and the ready to ride weight can be 600lbs, within 50lbs of the 800s.
For $2k power up to 270 HP.
And have a reliable 10,000 mountain mile sled.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most companies that sell easy bolt ons like to bump numbers Ive seen Teds products work and his stuff does make good power also his numbers were right on par with what neil at NNP sees on his dyno give or take a couple hp for the different elevation

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most companies that sell easy bolt ons like to bump numbers Ive seen Teds products work and his stuff does make good power also his numbers were right on par with what neil at NNP sees on his dyno give or take a couple hp for the different elevation

Holy, LOL another brain wash job. Nice going Ted....you haven't changed.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you rode one of his builds ? I dont own one but have sen a few and they worked really good for a pump gas NA sleds

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a thread about Ted. Take it somewhere else. Don't get me started about Ted.(funny you specifically say N/A cause he don't know his arse from a hole in the ground when it comes to turbos, N/A stuff not bad, tunnels awesome!)
I've heard the long delay on the big bore ctech was the size increase from the 600 wasn't just a simple as increase the cylinder volume. The cases didn't have the volume or some such thing. 600 is/was a stout motor, just didn't translate to the 800 so good. Hope they've got it figured out, they can't another disaster like the 2012 1100s.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right 2012 alot of guys had alot of issues and sleds handles like ****, trenched bad and weight was excessive! The next motor and or chassy needs to be a hit out of the box really cat has some brand loyal guys still buying each year but they hold the smallest part of the mountain market and if they have issues you will see more guys jump ship! They need something on par with the 850 skidoo like it or not the sled rips and is extreamly easy to ride and minouver and puts power to the ground

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right 2012 alot of guys had alot of issues and sleds handles like ****, trenched bad and weight was excessive! The next motor and or chassy needs to be a hit out of the box really cat has some brand loyal guys still buying each year but they hold the smallest part of the mountain market and if they have issues you will see more guys jump ship! They need something on par with the 850 skidoo like it or not the sled rips and is extreamly easy to ride and minouver and puts power to the ground
Minus the belt and bulkhead issues......

Kyle k

Reaction score
I've been out 7 days on my 2017 mountain cat. I am enjoying it so far. Came from an XP summit and had to relearn riding the cat. Found I was over driving it off the start, got hang of it now. Good power, only thing I would say about the engine is if your not ripping on it all the time the engine looses its crispness. Was riding in conditions with lots of wind and snow (bad vis ability) and found I wasnt on the throttle as hard as usual, then when you need it it was choking and acting like it needed to clear itself out. Meanwhile I was depending on that engine to rip now to hold a side hill to avoid a bad situation. Not sure if I was having fuel problems that day this was happening. Every other day it's been ripping good with good conditions.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been out 7 days on my 2017 mountain cat. I am enjoying it so far. Came from an XP summit and had to relearn riding the cat. Found I was over driving it off the start, got hang of it now. Good power, only thing I would say about the engine is if your not ripping on it all the time the engine looses its crispness. Was riding in conditions with lots of wind and snow (bad vis ability) and found I wasnt on the throttle as hard as usual, then when you need it it was choking and acting like it needed to clear itself out. Meanwhile I was depending on that engine to rip now to hold a side hill to avoid a bad situation. Not sure if I was having fuel problems that day this was happening. Every other day it's been ripping good with good conditions.

mine is same. But as they break in that clears up. They have them running quite rich from factory.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a thread about Ted. Take it somewhere else. Don't get me started about Ted.(funny you specifically say N/A cause he don't know his arse from a hole in the ground when it comes to turbos, N/A stuff not bad, tunnels awesome!)
I've heard the long delay on the big bore ctech was the size increase from the 600 wasn't just a simple as increase the cylinder volume. The cases didn't have the volume or some such thing. 600 is/was a stout motor, just didn't translate to the 800 so good. Hope they've got it figured out, they can't another disaster like the 2012 1100s.

last year about this time, rumour on the street, when they built the 800ctec, added fuel for the 800 jugs, couldn't pass emissions, and a crank issue. Again, word outta an unnamed race vet, they had to scratch the concept, re tool and start over. Another 3 months and the "cat" will be out of the bag lol. If I was placing a bet, my money will be on the same ole 800 suzi and cat die hard fans are going to jump ship

knh208

Reaction score
last year about this time, rumour on the street, when they built the 800ctec, added fuel for the 800 jugs, couldn't pass emissions, and a crank issue. Again, word outta an unnamed race vet, they had to scratch the concept, re tool and start over. Another 3 months and the "cat" will be out of the bag lol. If I was placing a bet, my money will be on the same ole 800 suzi and cat die hard fans are going to jump ship
Why would we jump ship from the best engine in the business? I'd rather see five more years of the old Suzuki than a poor replacement.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
E
Why would we jump ship from the best engine in the business? I'd rather see five more years of the old Suzuki than a poor replacement.

I somewhat agree. The good. It's proven, strong and reliable. It's a power band I like in my youth, but as I age it's getting tougher to ride on the edge. The tired bad. It's also hard on fuel, hard on oil, needs to be ripping or it loads up. Weak or laggy in the bottom rpms. It's wide and heavy.

I said it in some of the first posts in this thread, IMHO, they need to freshen it up, direct inject, smooth constant power delivery throughout operating rpms. Why you ask? I have a 162 3". Tons of traction and lift, I don't always wanna be screaming, I do like feathering around and playing technical at a slower pace. Now I can handle it in most situations and have always been on cat so I'm used to its characteristics, but it does come down to ability for others, and new customers switching to cat when they say they trench out, can't keep up to other chassis, when stuck, they seem to plant kind of jabs at cat.

I've felt what I'm talking about in other chassis, the smooth power delivery, it can be done.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat admitted that they had an issue with one of their suppliers and had to find a new source, so they had to restart their whole testing procedure over again. Hence the year delay. Suppose they could just stuck the new parts in, run them for a month and then called it good and released the sled. I'd rather they didn't, that is why the 2012 has so many issues, they rushed it out so they could have a new sled for their 50th anniversary.

the guy blathering about the Doo is right about one thing, AC needs their new motor to be bullet proof, Doo and Polaris might have enough customers they can afford to lose a few percent to a bad release, AC needs to attract new ones.

The real question is, will they actually even put the new motor in a mountain sled right away? They didn't with the 600, way easier to get some high mileage in a bit less stressful environment starting out in the trail or cross over segment. Then if you find any issues you can fix the before subjecting it to throttle to the bars situations.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat admitted that they had an issue with one of their suppliers and had to find a new source, so they had to restart their whole testing procedure over again. Hence the year delay. Suppose they could just stuck the new parts in, run them for a month and then called it good and released the sled. I'd rather they didn't, that is why the 2012 has so many issues, they rushed it out so they could have a new sled for their 50th anniversary.

the guy blathering about the Doo is right about one thing, AC needs their new motor to be bullet proof, Doo and Polaris might have enough customers they can afford to lose a few percent to a bad release, AC needs to attract new ones.

The real question is, will they actually even put the new motor in a mountain sled right away? They didn't with the 600, way easier to get some high mileage in a bit less stressful environment starting out in the trail or cross over segment. Then if you find any issues you can fix the before subjecting it to throttle to the bars situations.

New 600 ctec motor came out in 2014 and they did in fact put it in a mountain sled, just so you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you are right, went and searched for it and found this from spring 2013

If you look at the number of 6000 C-TEC2 powered sleds for 2014, you’ll see just one, the El Tigre

but then found an announcement of the m6000 in September of that year.

Top Bottom