2018 / 2019 Valemount Conditions and Updates

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I met Terry in Valemount at MMXI. A great guy and I believed him when he said "their place is great!" He also pointed out the bonus..............a little closer to the staging areas south of Valemount.

I can attest to it being fantastic. Always my go-to place when riding Vale. I find the most difficult part is convincing others as it’s a little more pricey than a hotel, but IMO it is way worth it.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree everything getting so pricey in sledding,have same issues gettin guys to try dif places but at 90 a night for 2 guys and a half decent breakfast and the loose moose next door pretty hard to sway the vote lol

I can attest to it being fantastic. Always my go-to place when riding Vale. I find the most difficult part is convincing others as it’s a little more pricey than a hotel, but IMO it is way worth it.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree everything getting so pricey in sledding,have same issues gettin guys to try dif places but at 90 a night for 2 guys and a half decent breakfast and the loose moose next door pretty hard to sway the vote lol

I find the worst thing about a hotel room is drying gear. It’s a royal pain in the hole. Least there you can hang all your your stuff over a wood stove and you know it’ll be dry in the morning.
I’m also good with a 40 of rum and a recliner. A few tall ones after a big supper and I’m done like dinner lol.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the worst thing about a hotel room is drying gear. It’s a royal pain in the hole. Least there you can hang all your your stuff over a wood stove and you know it’ll be dry in the morning.
I’m also good with a 40 of rum and a recliner. A few tall ones after a big supper and I’m done like dinner lol.

I’d bet a 40 of rum and Summit River could end up being the cheaper option!

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terry has a great setup here. A lot of people seem to forget a few things when it comes to supporting local. When you call and cancel a trip with a hotel it has little to no effect on the hotel. They didn’t spend $500 on food that’s going to spoil. A hotel isn’t making your lunch for you. A hotel doesn’t care if you make it to the alpine or not. Terry is closer to the staging areas. I’ve stayed there. Conditions in valemount at the time were brutal. -25 and it hadn’t snowed for two weeks. Terry was honest with me and told me so before I drove down from Gp. They have accurate conditions and are locally in the know.

Cheers
Chadd

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Even if it is a few bucks more( which it isn't if you like to have a few drinks with supper and buy junk sammiches at convenience store) it's worth it. It's my home away from home.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of B@B! As mikey said its my home away from home, I dont think you could go wrong with the Summit river or the Cougar Mtn lodge.
I really do miss Barry and Judy tho.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saturday we rode Clemina Creek, trail was awesome. Started in morning glory was an awesome morning with 1 1/2 to 2’ of fresh snow. Then we headed into lakeview there was 1 1/2 to 3’ of fresh, lots left to hit in this area, we headed toward the wall which was still untouched, and with the extreme cold temps I don’t think anyone would of ventured this far on Sunday. I ended up with some frostbite on my forehead and neck in a few areas and some tender fingers. When it was to be - 19 as a high we decided to call it a weekend, we had such a good day on Saturday it was not a disappointment.
yes excellant conditions and no complaints on riding pow like that, but as ron said with temp on sunday we decided to call it a shorter trip. but anyone who is willing to ride the conditions are the best. but as ron said frostbite can be a factor. ride safe

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been to vale but my buds have not . Think I will give you a call and book in a week or two.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beautiful alpine conditions once you venture through the cold. 20-60cms of good snow await the brave souls who go searching. Winds have affected the exposed terrain but there is still some incredible riding out there going into the weekend.

How you doing?

Attachments

• 51351656_2471334986228804_8437466736210477056_o.jpg
    51351656_2471334986228804_8437466736210477056_o.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 468

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Curtis, is Keyhole good to go?

We were up in Keyhole in late December and the rocks were just covered. Im sure by now it would be great to ride in with all the snow Valemount has received over the last month in a half.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been getting a lot of messages and calls regarding the latest SPAW (special public avalanche warning) issued by Avalanche Canada.

The link below is an excellent explanation the SPAW. Please give it a read to understand the reasoning behind it.

The hazard moving into the weekend is not your typical scenario where we are more concerned in the alpine areas and look to the trees for safety. Its actually the opposite and that was the reason behind the need for the special message.

Riding in mountain terrain requires discipline and continual observations to be done safely. The current state in the mountains is not the norm and we don't want it to catch you off guard.

Ride safe

https://www.avalanche.ca/blogs/dang...viHAfmmYYKJIfTLi-qVE2D-nfnFkxzZ52fyLVbkTYxh2E

Top Bottom