2017 Ski-Doo Summit Lined up with a 2016 Summit T3

bentwrench

Reaction score
I just spent 2 days riding the new sleds at CKMP and the 154 was giving the 174 a run for its money on knee to hip deep heavy snow and the 165 was killing it, this new Doo flat out works, it was hard to ride our xm's after, the weight loss is very noticeable and the new 850 flat out pulls; I was definitely over riding it until i learned how little input it took to make this thing carve like a knife

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Let me take a guess......the new one is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better and we should all buy one.

Ah it is way better, I don't need to sell it, it is and will sell out, lots of guys who want one, won't get one...they can only make so many....but of course you have to ride it to believe it. cheers dave

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Morn Frist time ever I heard that ski doo will not be making many machines (850). Are they worried about something not lasting or breaking. That way not many claims??

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Morn Frist time ever I heard that ski doo will not be making many machines (850). Are they worried about something not lasting or breaking. That way not many claims??

I would think the dealers got a earful from the guys that snow check and then in January you can buy it for $4000 less. Now if you don't snow check a 850 you SOL.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to here you got a few days on it.. It seams all the videos so far have pretty serious ski lift, and to here a 154 giving the 174 a run is crazy in that amount of snow.. Must have a lot more track speed, my plans are to turbo it so even more ski lift I would think, or was the lift not as bad as it looks??

just hate to spend the money on a 165, just to find out that we have to buy a 174 track, longer rails and tunnel exstesion, when if we wait a year we will have all that as a stock option for 300 dollars more

wish do would of dropped the 154 line this year instead and went with the 174 instead..

I just spent 2 days riding the new sleds at CKMP and the 154 was giving the 174 a run for its money on knee to hip deep heavy snow and the 165 was killing it, this new Doo flat out works, it was hard to ride our xm's after, the weight loss is very noticeable and the new 850 flat out pulls; I was definitely over riding it until i learned how little input it took to make this thing carve like a knife

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a really hard time believing a sled that is 12lbs lighter than a T3 with 10hp more is just laying such a smack down on a 174 T3 with a 154 track... Anyone that has had a 163 T3 and went to the 174, knows what an animal the 174 is. All my buddies call it the compensator for a reason, damn thing tractors up any hill and through any snow.

I think if the T3 gets anymore tippy, I might fall right off it.

I am excited to try this new sled out and am very curious to see why there are no videos of a G4 165 vs T3 174 in a climb or through some deep pow. Does the 165 sidehill like the 163?

Rulonjj

Reaction score
The 154 will not beat the 174. 10hp doesn't beat 20" of track. Not to mention the wheelie factor does not equate to a high mark.

He didn't say it beat it. He said it was giving it a run for its money. 10 hp more. 16lbs less rotating weight, 30lbs lighter narrow chassis that is designed to get up on the snow better. It's very possible. I've seen what a 155 axys does compared to a 163 t3. Beat it easily in 4 feet of powder.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He didn't say it beat it. He said it was giving it a run for its money. 10 hp more. 16lbs less rotating weight, 30lbs lighter narrow chassis that is designed to get up on the snow better. It's very possible.

Agreed. There are many things folks are overlooking about this machine. It's not just then10hp that's going to make the difference on this machine it's going to be how well they all work together. The lighter clutch and crank along with 10lb lighter track are likely playing a larger factor than the extra 10hp. When your trying to climb a hill or pull a technical line it's all about how fast can the machine get up on the snow and get moving. Look at the front end aswell it's a much better design to not push snow. Combine this with the extra torque and power of the 850 and you've got a machine that will likely pop out of the snow and be at a higher rate of speed much quicker than its predecessors. Now take a 200 meter run jnto a hill and I think you would see the gap close between the two but put both sleds at the base of a steep incline and see what happens would be my bet. The machine is going to be more responsive and spool up that track much quicker due to all the combined changes and this is what will make the biggest difference. Losing 1lb of rotating mass is probably like loosing 10lbs total mass. I don't actually know it's just a guess but to lose 12-13 lbs of it is a big deal from the driveline

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you rode the 17s? I have so I'm speaking based on experience not maybe coulda woulda shoulda. The 154 will not touch the 174. The 154 is prone to wheelie and the 174 keeps the front end down and flat out climbs. They are two completely different sleds for completely different riding styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. There are many things folks are overlooking about this machine. It's not just then10hp that's going to make the difference on this machine it's going to be how well they all work together. The lighter clutch and crank along with 10lb lighter track are likely playing a larger factor than the extra 10hp. When your trying to climb a hill or pull a technical line it's all about how fast can the machine get up on the snow and get moving. Look at the front end aswell it's a much better design to not push snow. Combine this with the extra torque and power of the 850 and you've got a machine that will likely pop out of the snow and be at a higher rate of speed much quicker than its predecessors. Now take a 200 meter run jnto a hill and I think you would see the gap close between the two but put both sleds at the base of a steep incline and see what happens would be my bet. The machine is going to be more responsive and spool up that track much quicker due to all the combined changes and this is what will make the biggest difference. Losing 1lb of rotating mass is probably like loosing 10lbs total mass. I don't actually know it's just a guess but to lose 12-13 lbs of it is a big deal from the driveline

So the 850 you rode Maxwell how did it compare to your T3 174?

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I have a really hard time believing a sled that is 12lbs lighter than a T3 with 10hp more is just laying such a smack down on a 174 T3 with a 154 track... Anyone that has had a 163 T3 and went to the 174, knows what an animal the 174 is. All my buddies call it the compensator for a reason, damn thing tractors up any hill and through any snow.

I think if the T3 gets anymore tippy, I might fall right off it.

I am excited to try this new sled out and am very curious to see why there are no videos of a G4 165 vs T3 174 in a climb or through some deep pow. Does the 165 sidehill like the 163?

I have them both, sorry no test together yet as I have been soul on the g4 this past week, but the 165 out climbs the 174 pretty easy and it does it feeling much lighter. I love the 174 and the xm is a great sled but this new summit is a big leap ahead. I was showing some guys the sled in the parking lot of Valley Chainsaw in Pemberton and a guy just burp the throttle and when it caught he could not believe how fast it was just off idle. Of course you will have to try to believe and I will wait but when you do try it make sure you remember who told ya it was "that good"! :) cheers dave

krazy c

Reaction score
I just rode the 17s! Amazing! I ride a 16 t3 163 and love it. I got on the new 165 and was sold in minutes if not seconds. That thing rips!! You will notice the throttle response instantly. Motor pulls so hard!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you rode the 17s? I have so I'm speaking based on experience not maybe coulda woulda shoulda. The 154 will not touch the 174. The 154 is prone to wheelie and the 174 keeps the front end down and flat out climbs. They are two completely different sleds for completely different riding styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whee! Wheelies! 154 for me. Hi marking big hills are what I like to watch. In the bowls and meadows my current 154 is perfect. As you point out- different purpose.

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave, i know your busy riding the new sled.... and busy cleaning the excitement outta your shorts but could you do a vid of the 165 850 vs. 163 or 174 t3? or even the 154 850 vs either?
this would make all these fools stop fighting like grade school girls.

Top Bottom