2016 / 2017 Valemount Conditions and Updates

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! People need to use their heads or the future generations will not have a place to ride.....

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading back Friday night down the 93 loads of garbage on the highway not sure wtf is wrong with people use the gas stations and rest stops for your fast food you lazy bastards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highmark10

Reaction score
I don't know the facts of your avalanche I do know people need to heed the avalanche bulletins we were in the same bowl earlier that day played in the trees directly left of the slide path, we found a day old slide in the adjacent bowl to the right so was a good enough sign for us to leave. The whole right bowl is set to slide too and has yet to break lose. We lost a friend in an avalanche twenty years ago by ignoring warnings triggered a 3.5 slide during extreme conditions buried in a terrain trap 6 feet deep this slide rivalled that for size and danger with the large terrain trap glad to hear everyone got out but we saw so many people climbing aspects that shouldn't have been climbed that weekend most got out lucky this was the first slide we saw in our three days of riding. we went upto the tops of the hills to but stayed on tiered topography to do it hope everyone takes a course and learns some days its better to ride safe and leave some snow untouched. I never want to do another body recovery fir a friend or a stranger.

Dougie

Reaction score
I totally respect everything that is said on this forum and I appreciate the concern we all have as fellow sledders. Sorry for the harsh words I just think people should try to be less judgemental .
It is way too easy to get complacent and careless ridding the mountains. I definitely have a greater respect for nature. Ride safe I will.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we found lots of snow at allan creek.........dont get me wrong though pretty much had to exhaust all of my resources it is BEAT UP. we need snow. even what we were riding was only about 8-10"...fun snow though with a good base

16252103_10155051400553112_1276028588276249783_o.jpg

16463218_10155051400768112_4839274423604449083_o.jpg

16403399_10155051401563112_767949281194386102_o.jpg

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemount received a few cms of snow over night in the town site, with hopefully a few more falling in the alpine areas as a reload is needed for sure. It has been quite a challenging winter, weather wise.

There is very minimal new snow in the forecast so riders will need to get creative or simply off the beaten path to find some fresh lines. There is still some amazing riding out there if you know where to look, especially in the sheltered treeline locations. With a week of blue bird skies in the forecast, the sun and the mountain tops are still a great way to get away from work for a while!

Please know where you are at all time and know where the riding areas boundaries are in regards to the wildlife restrictions. We have seen some use of the Chappell Creek treeline closure and there will be strong enforcement in the area in the upcoming while. Please help us out and report all witnessed infractions to the RAPP line. If we don't stop this, someone will stop us....

Ride safe

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What is the correct spelling for Allan?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the few cms over night amounted to a nice little reload in Allen Creek

Think the "westridge area" got a reload we want to head out Monday for a repeat of Friday's awesomeness!

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think the "westridge area" got a reload we want to head out Monday for a repeat of Friday's awesomeness!

I wouldn't say total reload since the other areas only got about a foot and west ridge normally gets a little less but forsure better than it has been. Just a weird year that it dumps huge and then doesn't snow for multiple weeks. This pattern has to give sometime soon!

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alpine areas received upwards of 30cms on snow on 070130 and the riders have been blessed with blue skies and mild temperatures ever since. User numbers have been very low and riding should be quite good over the next couple of days before the next small storm is forecasted to hit us on Saturday.

We are trying a new schedule with the Chappell Creek area, to try to provide a more useable product during the weekdays. This will be a bit of a pilot for the next while please have a look below for the full details.

Please remember to leave the facilities and the mountains as clean as you found them. Pack out everything you pack in and more. The garbage cans located in the cabins are only for those who can’t understand this concept.

NOTE! Keep your wits about you and check www.avalanche.ca before your ride. If you do venture out, please report any of your findings to the Mountain Information Network through Avalanche Canada.

Please see the link below for the full update.
Grooming Schedule and Conditions - Home | Home

RIDE SAFE!

Attachments

• Chappell 2017.jpg
    Chappell 2017.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 820

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to post this as its a little embarassing being "those guys" bbuuttt.. last night me and another guy had to spend the night on the hill. long story but we got into a spot we could not get out of. we tried for hours and we finally ran out of daylight and energy. managed to get a hold of SAR but were told we had to spend the night. so we dug a cave and built a fire. keeping that fire going was a full time job for both of us. we had saved a bit of food and Gatorade. we cut some.spruce branches to sit on to keep us up off the snow. I'm not sure what the temp was but told it was around -25. keeping each other spirits up and constsntly moving to cut wood helped a lot with the cold. needless to say a little pre planning and being prepared literally is the difference between life and death. and thank you to the guys who stopped to wish us well in the clemina parking lot after doing our walk of shame off the chopper lol.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to post this as its a little embarassing being "those guys" bbuuttt.. last night me and another guy had to spend the night on the hill. long story but we got into a spot we could not get out of. we tried for hours and we finally ran out of daylight and energy. managed to get a hold of SAR but were told we had to spend the night. so we dug a cave and built a fire. keeping that fire going was a full time job for both of us. we had saved a bit of food and Gatorade. we cut some.spruce branches to sit on to keep us up off the snow. I'm not sure what the temp was but told it was around -25. keeping each other spirits up and constsntly moving to cut wood helped a lot with the cold. needless to say a little pre planning and being prepared literally is the difference between life and death. and thank you to the guys who stopped to wish us well in the clemina parking lot after doing our walk of shame off the chopper lol.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

we all make mistakes.glad you guys are ok.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Where in clemina did you drop in that you couldn't get out?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As always Allan Creek is always awesome. Here is some video from my last 2 trips. No music on this one. Just lots of 2 stroke symphony. I got to ride a 2017 mountain cat, a 2017 summit 850, my 2016 Axys 174 and a 2017 MTNTK turbo Axys 174. Enjoy!

Top Bottom