2016 / 2017 Valemount Conditions and Updates

X-Treme3x

Reaction score
Rode in Valemount yesterday for the day - We did hear one let go. When we returned the rental pack the owner said he heard 8 let go from the town.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any reports on Chrystal ridge thinking about heading that way Thursday any info would be muchly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rolled up (Redsands) just after the sleds were dug out. I honestly couldn't believe someone would take a run at that slope. Let alone 2 guys on it at once. The shock of seeing something that large quickly turns to anger when u find out how it was triggered !

Anyone have a picture of the Redsands one for reference. Thanks

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was avi slides in clemina and allen over the weekend,mostly east,south,east facing.triggered by snowmobilers and snowboarders. pay attention to where you ride and play safe. i think it was 3 in 2 days on allen alone.ride safe and watch out for each other

braaapbraaap

Reaction score
image.jpg Saturday at chappel. Open areas tracked out, wind blown on higher elevation but tree riding was great.... Lotsa untouched pockets if you don't mind riding off the beaten path!!!!

zeke800

Reaction score
Anyone know when Chappell was groomed last. Thinking of going there tommorrow

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alpine riding areas had received a great new dose of snow last week although it has now been hit pretty hard by the weekend crew. There is very minimal new snow in the forecast so riders will need to get creative or simply off the beaten path to find some fresh lines. There is still some amazing riding out there if you know where to look, especially in the sheltered treeline locations.

Please know where you are at all time and know where the riding areas boundaries are in regards to the wildlife restrictions.

Grooming Schedule and Conditions - Home | Home

Dougie

Reaction score
Don't know where you got your facts from on the RED sands avy, but you are contributing to false rumors. Only one guy in my group was on the slope at one time and we did do a test pull to see if it
was loose and it was ok, WE SHOULD HAVE PROBABLY been more cautious considering the conditions we experienced in VALEMOUNT the day prior. It's sooo easy to criticize . I'm sure you have never
made any poor judgement calls when riding.

Riderville

Reaction score
Group of 4 of us headed up bright and early tomorrow, would like to do renshaw, but wondering how conditions are after the MMM10 w-end? Not sure if we gander up that way or ride down in Vale area? suggestions/advise?

Rkwhite

Reaction score
Don't know where you got your facts from on the RED sands avy, but you are contributing to false rumors. Only one guy in my group was on the slope at one time and we did do a test pull to see if it
was loose and it was ok, WE SHOULD HAVE PROBABLY been more cautious considering the conditions we experienced in VALEMOUNT the day prior. It's sooo easy to criticize . I'm sure you have never
So that is how you test a hill, by "doing a test pull"? Brilliant! Obviously your testing methods aren't very accurate......

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys if anyone is looking for accomadate ins this weekend , I have both the cabin and 2 bdroom trailer available

Full meal deal $129 person , breakfast, lunch ,supper

Or if you want to cook yourself
Minimum 2 night booking .

Option 1) 2bdrm trailer - 5 beds , full kitchen , living room .
$129 night 4 guys , 20$ extra person

Option 2- 2 room Cabin , 3 beds , kitchenette
$129 night
Thanks
Terry
250-566-9933

Dougie

Reaction score
How do you test it smart ass!! I guess you can predict avalanches can you? I'll give you a call next time I am unsure!!!

Rkwhite

Reaction score
Dig a pit or read bulletins.... The info is out there. You said you witnessed activity the day before. I can predict where avy's won't happen, it is called simple terrain, there's a time and place for everything.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man. Hope everyone is OK. I would highly recommend some backcountry training or taking an avy course. Taking a pull on a slope is definetly not the way to check conditions. There is so much info out there now from the avy Canada app to sites like this as well as premium training courses in western Canada. There are guys on thi's forum that sled these areas daily. They post conditions for a reason. Everyone has something to live for. Get educated. If you use it just once a year you can save your own or better yet someone else's. Stuff might get blown out of proportion a little here but we're trying to get the message out.

Cheers and safe riding

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

Doug, I thought all you guys had your AST?
Saw the 850 in the shop. Bent up pretty good. I would say a write off.
Easy to see how a human body would not fair very well.
Glad everyone came home safe.
Moving forward and taking these learning's into consideration. A personal self check of each individual rider is a good idea at all times.
I was stunned to hear that there was no handle to pull. Not saying that is the save all.

Everyone should check themselves and their crew to ensure that everything is good to go.

It is as simple as having zippers, straps or tether not done up.
How many folks have lost things on the hill because of this.

I myself have been guilty of this and the guys behind me pull up with an arm full of stuff out of my tunnel bag.

I used to never put my T-handle in my avy pack till I got to the cabin. Forgot to put in one day and was riding in areas that i may have needed it.
One of my crew said, hey, you lost your handle.
To my embarrassment I told him I forgot to put it in............

Part of my self check before leaving parking lot now is to ensure my handle is installed on the avy pack along with other things on my checklist.

Not making any judgement here, just trying to enlighten folks and put forth an idea that others may use,

Safe sledding all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom