2016 / 2017 Valemount Conditions and Updates

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, winter has certainly returned. Vince from #alpinecountryrentals and I went up Allen this morning to do what we could with the ice heaves. Now its up to mother nature.

The new trail up Allen will be CLOSED from now until Dec 27th to try and allow the trail to repair itself and develop a base for the holidays.

The old way up should be in good shape with all of this new snow and alpine conditions everywhere should be excellent.

We will be maintaining Chappell and Clemina until Dec 24th and will fire the machines back up Boxing day with hopes of a full pull at all three areas for the remainder of the season.

Ride safe and be sure to check in with Avalanche Canada before heading out into the backcountry.

Attachments

• 15542167_1478409978854648_4611955431500908884_n.jpg
    15542167_1478409978854648_4611955431500908884_n.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curtis, for those of us that are clueless, can you talk about the new Allen trail - what's wrong with it?

summitguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my understanding there are ice heaves in the trails so to prolong the trail as long as they possibly can in spring it is important to get a good base. They added ice melt onto the ice allowing the new snow to bond to the ice and give them something to work with all season.. Not just a slip and slide..

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chappell is deep. Over the hood and more in some spots. Snowed pretty much all day and had another 6 inches on truck. Some pretty big Creek holes with light fluffy snow filling them in. Once you hit you sink to the tits. Vis was crap and I don't think anyone ventured past the lake. If the sun comes out there it will be excellent.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I have family to go pick up in Saskatchewan and my sled is staying warm in the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old trail is left at the at junction at the 3km mark. You cannot miss it. But from the reports today it is very icy as well and only very experienced riders should head up there.

The ice on the new trail is from the ground not being frozen and then the weather flash froze to -30 for two weeks. This lead to ground water seeping up and these strange ice bulbs that run across the trail surface and our groomer could not get by them and riders were also having accidents. This is the first time we have ever seen them. We have spread melter in hopes to allow this new snow to stick so we can eventually get the machines up.

We have gated the new trail in previous years in the early season to preserve snow to create a base for the season although this time it is strictly due to these strange ice bulbs that are causing havoc and are a serious danger to riders. We have never dealt with this issue before and its a good one....

Next step is a team of people with chainsaws if this fails......

Thanks everyone for their understanding.

Can someone explain the old trail into Allen. We are in town and was hoping to go up tomorrow.

hardcorex

Reaction score
What's wrong with grooming old portion of trail? Worked in the past and am sure it would have improved the sh-t show you got going on now up there.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with grooming old portion of trail? Worked in the past and am sure it would have improved the sh-t show you got going on now up there.

I don't think the groomer will fit anymore. Last year when we came down it was hardly wide enough for sleds.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they need a corked up D6 with a 6 way for a weekend to get everything tuned up.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

hardcorex

Reaction score
I see revy's success is to have options for trail access to the areas and they maintain all year long! Looks like PPP on Varda's behalf to only rely on one main trail.if they split the trail into 2 useable lower sections did they ever think they both might last longer.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.I'm voting for you to be the new foreman of the trail maintenance department.
I see revy's success is to have options for trail access to the areas and they maintain all year long! Looks like PPP on Varda's behalf to only rely on one main trail.if they split the trail into 2 useable lower sections did they ever think they both might last longer.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that.

The old way did not work, that is why the Club built the new trail in the early 2000s. The Allen creek access is unfortunately not an easy place to work with. It consists of huge rock slabs that hamper construction efforts and road placement. Not sure about the "maintaining all year long" comment but we do hope you enjoy the access as it surely is a year long effort.

Besides this, the issue we are facing now is an environmental phenomenon, not PPP as stated..but we always appreciate constructive criticism. There are a few local operations that are dealing with the same issue at the moment. Hopefully we can get this issue solved as soon as possible and everyone can get back to riding instead of keyboarding.

In the meantime, the snow is great, get out and ride.

Merry Christmas

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well good trail bad trail. I'm excited I'm finally going to get a ride in before the new year. About a solid month behind schedule. Usually right after Xmas is the 3 trip of the season for us. Mainly due to conditions is why I haven't made the treck yet. We will try to make the best of the situation.
Just want to throw a shout it to Curtis and the VARDA. People are quick to complain. I've been there to. But the older I get the more I realize your doing everything you can the make the alpine accesable. So keep up the good work and hopefully everyone respects your hard work and leaves the gate alone so you can have a good trail for the rest of the season.
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone. (Yup I said it hope it's still allowed on here). See you on the 27th.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chappell has a good foot or more than Allan. Allan trail is sheer ice in a few spots after the switch backs. Will be a **** show this weekend of lots of guys head there.

If the sun comes out, Chappell will be a great time.

Top Bottom