2016 / 2017 Valemount Conditions and Updates

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its like groundhog day.....the cold weather and lack of precip is really starting to drag a guy down... Riding conditions are marginal to say the least and the mornings are freezing...as mentioned above, there are lines still left out there but things are getting skinny.

The snowpack is heavily wind affected and we are now seeing widespread surface hoar development. When the snow starts to fall again, it will be mandatory to investigate and test to see how the new snow will be bonding to these weaknesses we have developed during this cold snap.

Ride Safe

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we have not had any major changes in the weather or riding conditions in some time. No new snow has fallen over the last week and the frigid temps have remained in full force. There are hopes of fresh snow on the horizon although the precip does not looks to begin until Sunday afternoon. The lack of snow is causing some issues with the Allan Creek grooming program so please read the full report by following the link below and make your decisions accordingly.

Riders are urged to use caution as many hazards such as rocks, stumps and open water still exist.

The snowpack is heavily wind affected and we are now seeing widespread surface hoar development. When the snow starts to fall again, it will be mandatory to investigate and test to see how the new snow will be bonding to these weaknesses we have developed during this cold snap.

Grooming Schedule and Conditions - Home | Home

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Atta boy Mikey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know probably not the right thread, but ibknow you guys can help. Anyone have a phone number for a helli service to lift a sled out??? Depending how tomorrow goes might have to get one flown out ! Thanks in advance

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 of us went into keyhole today. it was f**kin cold! like Curtis said, any open area is heavily wind affected. it's like riding on concrete. the snow in the trees is sugar snow. I've also seen rocks down in the lower bowl that I have never seen before haha. need some more snowfall bad!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know probably not the right thread, but ibknow you guys can help. Anyone have a phone number for a helli service to lift a sled out??? Depending how tomorrow goes might have to get one flown out ! Thanks in advance

Best of luck, sometimes a heli is cheaper than the damage that both sleds can sustain if something goes sideways on the way out. 👍

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yellow head chopper in Valemount /blue river last year it was 2200 bucks$$ for one sled.... good luck

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I had fun at Allan went past super bowl and some good stuff still the front half is pounded pretty good that ice heave has doubled in size since last weekend just keep your speed up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 743

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 704

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like we have a series of storms on the way and they can’t some soon enough. We need these consecutive storms to hit the valley to improve our riding conditions as it has been far too long since we have seen any precipitation worth mentioning.

This new snow is going to quickly raise the Avalanche Hazard level in the backcountry so please use caution as you venture into the terrain and test as you go. Our snowpack is still quite low below treeline elevations, so riders are urged to use caution as many hazards such as rocks, stumps and open water still exist.

Please read the grooming schedule by following the link below as we are experiencing some issues at Allen Creek due to the low snow levels.

Grooming Schedule and Conditions - Home | Home

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pilots are no longer using the small jet rangers and are using bigger choppers so the hourly rate is now closer to $2200. The sleds, especially a frozen up 174 full of fuel, are close to maxing out the little choppers and really, they want to help, but they do not want to risk their lives to haul a sled out.

A lot of insurance companies cover this now (which is crazy) but super beneficial. Likely worth a couple extra hundred a year for the piece of mind.

2 years ago I had mine lifted out of Alan Creek by yellowhead and it was around $1100.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lucky enough we got the sled out . Tree wired to the broken a arm, and tree through the skis to steer and dis connected the tie rod, to say the least it was a fun ride out hah. Thanks to they couple different groups that helped out at certain points , yesterday a, and today, much appreciated

Top Bottom