2015... 174 1000ci three inch skidoo....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think they learned a lesson with the RT. My bet would be if they released a 1 litre, it would be pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes i hope they did but i won't be their guinea pig this time around. The last time it cost me alot of $$ just to make their junk work, worst part i got talked into selling my M1Cat for a BRP 1000cc boat anchor. Granted once i replaced 80% of the entire sled with aftermarket stuff it started to perform...till then crap.

At the moment i see the exact same hipe that happened in 05 with the RT, everyone gave up their 800 and jumped on it and it was going to be the mountian dominating sled ever to date. Just to see the next 2seasons guys DUMPING the RT like a dirty shirt and going back to the 8s.
The RT was just another big cluster"F" from a long list of cluster"F" from BRP.
Yes they had a **** load of money invested in the RT project....a doomed project from the getgo.

Sorry for being so critical, not trying to bash or put down anything but i believe without criticism things DONOT improve or get better.
If this proves to be a solid sled without a complete overall, i will be at the front of the line with my money...till then...no way, that is just me, i hope the guys that get one, like them and have good success with them.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not that familar with the rt, but wasn't it's electronics that made it a turd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not that familar with the rt, but wasn't it's electronics that made it a turd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To some degree, some ran great others didn't. They were under grounded and that could cause strange running issues, they also like to eat big end rod bearings, the E-raves are sluggish, sled is heavy, need a t-stat, clutching sucked, etc etc. My 2nd one worked pretty good and Lund has pretty much single handedly written the book on make the RT work well. Still tougher and not as much fun to throw around as an XM.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The electronic's of the sled once the engineers finally got a workable program was good and reliable, that was not the biggest problem and overall the electronic's was just as good as any other BRP sled out there. But lots of missunderstanding of the RT electronics and many would jump to conclussion's blaming it first.

The #1 biggest flaw with this sled was the fuel system and especially the SDI system.
As bnorth already mentioned this motor chewed up big end rods like a dog on a T-bone steak. Why.....the SDI fuel system combined with an EXTREMELY poorly designed air intake system that acted more like a hoover vacuum for belt dust.
The SDI system injected into the cylinder ports thus NO fuel would go into the base and crank to help control heat and lubrication of bearing's. Combined with the poor intake the motor would ingest belt dust that would attack the rod bearing constantly, causing them to run dry.
A very large portion of RT1000 motors failed in less then 2,000km, some even with less then 1500km. All with the same issue....dusted out rods(dried out).
BRP would cover the first repair but after that many were not covered and you were on your own.
That was one of the main issue, the RT was plagued with numerous issues ranging from bad clutching, weak drive chains, bad fuel pump, running too cold, spark plug fouling, sluggish and gumming up rave valves, rave valve cable failure, rave valve gear failure.......AND MORE.

Yes it was heavy, though in 2005 intro of the RT was ADVERTISED by BRP and claimed by dealer's to weigh in at 520Lbs. The actual weight of the sled was 577Lbs an out right lie by BRP but denied because they claim that was the weight of their Proto and production weight doesn't have to be advertised in their brouchers. Eitherway the 05 RT sold like hotcakes as every one jumped on them.

Yes i was involved in the final developing and testing of the RT in 06 as things started to go side ways for them.....i had lots of arguments with their R&D department about the sled for us rider's.
I did learn one thing, they are stuckup in their ways and yes i did a complete article a few years back on RT upgrades to make it work, you can find it on Dootalk.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Have never had a problem with mine, but i immediately put the timbersled air filter kit on..... Knew about the clutch dust getting into the air intake system. Mine is an '06 and have none of the other problems listed...... Had engine replaced 1 year after new, because of broken crankshaft. Warranty covered it no problem, and they sent the engine into brp to inspect, because they never had any broken cranks like that before.... Several with rod bearing damage etc, but no broken cranks they said

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have never had a problem with mine, but i immediately put the timbersled air filter kit on..... Knew about the clutch dust getting into the air intake system. Mine is an '06 and have none of the other problems listed...... Had engine replaced 1 year after new, because of broken crankshaft. Warranty covered it no problem, and they sent the engine into brp to inspect, because they never had any broken cranks like that before.... Several with rod bearing damage etc, but no broken cranks they said

That was your savior, the filters. The 1000 has huge bearings and properly lubed and protected should technicaly go a long long time.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

I sold alot of spacer kits to float the secondary on Summit 1000's (to reduce belt dust), in fact alot of my testing was done with a Summit 1000/151 and it had 3500 trouble free miles (replaced the cable actuators once), heavy sled with big power.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i sold alot of spacer kits to float the secondary on summit 1000's (to reduce belt dust), in fact alot of my testing was done with a summit 1000/151 and it had 3500 trouble free miles (replaced the cable actuators once), heavy sled with big power.

i put one of your ducks in mine when i bought it..... 5k on sled now

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's only 10 years ago I'm sure there just gona throw the same engine in the xm without changing a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

BoondockerPro

Reaction score
uhh, that picture looks retarted same look 173 inch track and the tunnel is too short for the track... i seen this picture on google images, hah when i seen it i laughed

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Lund!!

I'm sure a 1000 etec will be a bit better than a sdi but IMO I doubt will be offered. I'm sure BRP has the capability to boost the hp on a 800 without resorting to sticking a dimensionally bigger heavier 1000 engine in there.
With the aftermarket bringing reliable bigger HP numbers to the 800, it can be possible from the manuf. wether is done this year or not only time will tell.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Lund!!

I'm sure a 1000 etec will be a bit better than a sdi but IMO I doubt will be offered. I'm sure BRP has the capability to boost the hp on a 800 without resorting to sticking a dimensionally bigger heavier 1000 engine in there.
With the aftermarket bringing reliable bigger HP numbers to the 800, it can be possible from the manuf. wether is done this year or not only time will tell.

I keep hearing about a Etec 1000 maybe Ski-doo will build one?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The New line up sounds sweet! Know what im checking.....

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
orange.jpg skis.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really a doo guy but those look pretty sharp. As far as a 1000 goes, the weight doesn't justify the power.

Top Bottom