2014 Yamaha Viper

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy all gung hoe for the four strokes now after you got a lemon pro rmk. Maybe if you didn't cheap out with a crappy silber turbo kit you wouldn't be whining so much about what time bombs 2 strokes are. I have ran plenty of skidoos and Polaris and had zero engine issues ever. If I was gonna turbo I would spend extra coin on a real kit buddy.

Wow more people to yap their mouth off like they know people and their snowmobile history. Let me fill you in a little, I the last 4yrs I have ran a cutler m8 10lbs, Boondocker pro 13lbs, BB 860r, silber pro 10lbs.

How many miles a year do you put one? Are you one of those guys that buy the $8k turbo run 6lbs and put around saying how their sled is the goat?

Anyone who thinks high boost 2 strokes are just as reliable as high boost 4 strokes is on crack.

I have always liked 4 stroke turbos, never said I didn't. They are just heavy right now for my liking

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be argued that most people who buy new sleds do so to get warranty primarily on the engine in a 2 stroke application. Warranty is not as much of an issue with a powerplant designed to last 100,000 kms so buy one for half price.

I look at a sled purchase as an investment. Cat and Yammy partnerning puts more sleds on the snow and makes it easier for the aftermarket companies to build parts for because they fit 2 different brands now. Also, I think Yammy and Cat (and Poo to some degree) both did it right by building sleds (Apex/Vector and M series) for many years on the same platform, just with different models or displacements. This means lots of parts still available for these sleds and should be for many years to come. Also that they retain the resale value better. Doo continually hurts the resale of their sleds be releasing the "latest and greatest" every few years or model specific chassis'. Also, they don't keep tooling up for parts for the older models, so guys with ZX and even Rev chassis', will soon find their parts supply diminishing, just as the S chassis' did.
(poor investment,)( Why would a manufacturer want to have higher resale value? Look at all 4 brands, they all generally depreciate the same)(Would you as a manufacturer want to lose sales by not improving every couple of years?)(doo has a parts program for older sleds HERE)
Charging more for the new models (either to raise resale or increase profit) doesn't help either when consumers buy a cheaper brand that maybe didn't have all the "innovation" costs associated with it. Being able to drop costs as Yammy and Cat have done in their supply partnership also will benefit both as stated previously, but also means that production of parts for both has also dropped, and therefore dropped for the consumer. When "Company X" tools up to run idler wheels for the proclimb seriers, they are also tooling up for Yamaha's Viper series now too. Mass production = lower costs, which translates back to the consumer.
(If the competitor can sell twice the sleds, that also is mass producing) (I think the sales quota for both will not really increase because they have to play catch up for all the years they lost sales)(people want innovation and will pay for it)
It can be argued that while a dealer makes profit on a sled sale, they also make profit on parts and service if you have a large number of sleds on the snow and many customers requiring "maintenance" parts etc, your company can be just as profitable, even though you might be last or almost last in official new model sales. Its not just about who sold the most within a given year.
(sled sales are the bread and butter of a dealer, so are parts sales. I guess it also can be argued that they should make them of lower quality so they also sell more?)
Contrary to Maxwell's opinion, not everyone wants or has the financial ability to buy a new sled year after year and take the massive hit on depreciation associated with recreational toys, regardless of how many miles you put on or what your level of enjoyment is during that time. If guys can afford it and want to do it, great, more power to them. But to throw out arbitray numbers and say things like "XX% of people want this or that" is simply a fallacy. Not one of the guys I ride with buys a new sled every year, more like every 5 yrs, and even the guy that can afford it, still doesn't, he is riding his 06 Rev he bought......in 06! Not one of us own a brand new sled (ok that's not entirely true.... one guy bought a hold over 2010 in late spring of 2011 for a smoking deal, it was new as in never been ridden, but not "new" at the time). These are the guys buying parts and service, and putting $$$ in the dealers pockets that way.
(new sled sales are still strong, and that's how manufacturers make money.)(we live in a throw away society unfortunately)

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a little more info on whats going on this is the guy that runs the totally yammi site.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=1052640#1052640Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 am Post subject: 2014 and beyond..

I wanted to post one more time a few things. I know I stated this in another thread but "I have driven all the Viper sleds. I was very optimistic... I didnt want to like it because of the Cat Qualities... I wanted to hate it... I am telling you this sled is SOOO much fun to drive."

As a die hard Yamaha fan I am sure you were like me.... a CAT ..WTF...lol, but over time and looking at it from a business side, I see what Yamaha was doing... causing some huge hype and making heads turn in the industry. This is a first in the industry, I am sure, having 2 snowmobile companies come together to build a very unique project. There is no one going out of business.... there is no one merging into the other... basically it is a trade agreement. This is actually pretty great if you really think about it. Yamaha needs to learn to bring snowmobiles to the consumer faster and basically meet the customers demands while Arctic Cat needs to learn from Yamaha about durability and fit & finish.... so they are learning and learning fast. The goods news is both snowmobile companies have a separate direction plan and only this one sled in common. After being in Minneapolis the last few days I have learned for us die hard Yamaha fans that there is going to be 1 new sled every year for the next 5 years from Yamaha with some new and outstanding technology with new chassis and motors... and yes they said motors So even though we are not all getting the sled we want let's not frown on the fact of what has happened. Let's encourage and look to the future of what is to come and look at this decision as a great thing for the snowmobile industry. So please get out to a demo and ride this sled.... it was extremely fun to drive and I think you will be pleasantly

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You seem to be working your way up to an LHF or OneEye reputation here, you seem to get dumber and dumber everytime you post $hit

Holy all gung hoe for the four strokes now after you got a lemon pro rmk. Maybe if you didn't cheap out with a crappy silber turbo kit you wouldn't be whining so much about what time bombs 2 strokes are. I have ran plenty of skidoos and Polaris and had zero engine issues ever. If I was gonna turbo I would spend extra coin on a real kit buddy.

FLEMINA

Reaction score
What the hell??? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361552268.879879.jpg

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope this Cat and Yamaha deal doesn't turn into the Ski-doo/Moto-ski back in the day!They were 2 different 'brands'!Lol!For the young guys you'll have to google Moto-ski!

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You seem to be working your way up to an LHF or OneEye reputation here, you seem to get dumber and dumber everytime you post $hit
I didn't realize you get offended so easily lol you ride cat and drive a dodge of course we are going to clash get over it or get off your moms Internet

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My moms internet, good one bud, speaking from experience maybe, never seen anyone defend a polaris motor so much, what next, are u gonna tell us that polaris' 900 twin was the most bullet proof motor in history

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a little more info on whats going on this is the guy that runs the totally yammi site.
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 am Post subject: 2014 and beyond..

I wanted to post one more time a few things. I know I stated this in another thread but "I have driven all the Viper sleds. I was very optimistic... I didnt want to like it because of the Cat Qualities... I wanted to hate it... I am telling you this sled is SOOO much fun to drive."

As a die hard Yamaha fan I am sure you were like me.... a CAT ..WTF...lol, but over time and looking at it from a business side, I see what Yamaha was doing... causing some huge hype and making heads turn in the industry. This is a first in the industry, I am sure, having 2 snowmobile companies come together to build a very unique project. There is no one going out of business.... there is no one merging into the other... basically it is a trade agreement. This is actually pretty great if you really think about it. Yamaha needs to learn to bring snowmobiles to the consumer faster and basically meet the customers demands while Arctic Cat needs to learn from Yamaha about durability and fit & finish.... so they are learning and learning fast. The goods news is both snowmobile companies have a separate direction plan and only this one sled in common. After being in Minneapolis the last few days I have learned for us die hard Yamaha fans that there is going to be 1 new sled every year for the next 5 years from Yamaha with some new and outstanding technology with new chassis and motors... and yes they said motors So even though we are not all getting the sled we want let's not frown on the fact of what has happened. Let's encourage and look to the future of what is to come and look at this decision as a great thing for the snowmobile industry. So please get out to a demo and ride this sled.... it was extremely fun to drive and I think you will be pleasantly

Very good Point. As a true Yami fan. I was extremely disappointed that it was with the worst durability snowmobile maker that they partnered up with. However like you say maybe Cat will finally understand what fit and finish is as well as building something that doesn't look manufactured in my backyard. As far as the naysayers about Yamaha they didn't become the worlds largest engine manufacturer by building Junk. I would have continued to drive my 08 Nytro for ten more years if I had to untill Yami built something competitive to Poo and Doo. (which I also own) The only problem with the rest is lack of building a true Quality lasting product. Too many recalls change ups and failures to ruin a guys weekend which are too few and far between.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worst durability snowmobile? Have you heard of polaris before, cmon in the last three seasons alone the majority of problems with anyone i ride with hasnt been on the cats, the last 5 sleds weve towed out or turned back because of were poos and doos, the last cat pulled out with us was an 04 f7 stretched to a 144 in 2007, seen 4 doos and 2 pros pulled out of chappell in one day about a month ago, and 3 of those six sleds were being pulled by cats

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good Point. As a true Yami fan. I was extremely disappointed that it was with the worst durability snowmobile maker that they partnered up with. However like you say maybe Cat will finally understand what fit and finish is as well as building something that doesn't look manufactured in my backyard. As far as the naysayers about Yamaha they didn't become the worlds largest engine manufacturer by building Junk. I would have continued to drive my 08 Nytro for ten more years if I had to untill Yami built something competitive to Poo and Doo. (which I also own) The only problem with the rest is lack of building a true Quality lasting product. Too many recalls change ups and failures to ruin a guys weekend which are too few and far between.

When did Yamaha overtake Honda as the World's largest engine Manufacturer ?

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected (I should have said one of the worlds biggest engine manufacturers) I think maybe they are #2 to Honda.
And Yes Ive heard of Polaris. Happen to own one. Its only my opinion but everytime we ride its a Cat broke down, or (Oh thats not working right theres a recall)
Or (yeah theres a changeup coming for that) or (Jeeeze I don't know why I blow a belt a day) or (I dont know why its not performing but I have an engine light flashing??) I have been mountain riding since 1988 and probably 60% of the time if someone has issues its on a Cat. Ive even rode with one of the dealers lots and he has all the same excuses. They all break down it just seems Cats R&D department is (Send it to the customer and we'll fix what breaks)

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just different experiences viper. I've towed out more sleds with the rider saying " I don't know y I don't have compression on one hole. I got the fix kit!?" The cats we can usually limp out. Just different experience

Top Bottom