2014 XM can issues

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just informed by my dealer this morning to reinstall my suitcase and take off the specialty can they sold me. They said it will go into limp mode. I'm heading to revy next weekend and I want to ride with the can. I know some guys have had the muffler code but was there a power loss? Limp mode in the backcountry doesn't sound fun to me....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard Skidoo changed the calibration on the XM's at the last minute and this is causing some problems for the can manufacturers. Not sure what will happen?

c.wilson07

Reaction score
I got the same call from my dealer, he didnt have much info other then dont run a can until we figure this out. would be nice to know if anyone has actually had one go into limp mode and how to get it out if it does. heading out in a couple days might just have to run the suitcase for now.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
It doesnt lose power.. and that code wont put it into "limp mode". its just a light. Most of them stopped doing it at elevation. Its just a tempature read that was set too fine. Put your stock can on until they find a fix if you dont want the light!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know of a 2013 Summit SP that had "the 2014 flash" yesterday, just after the phone call from MBRP. The lights were supposed to come on and the codes were supposed to be identified on the gauges due to a can. It was ridden today and there were no problems........the scallops were delicious!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my mbrp threw that code this morning. on the trail up. no loss of power. no negative effects. shut it off, light went off and never came on again for the entire day. even on the trail down.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just ref-lashed the computer on my 2013 xm yesterday and was cautioned about this…i did it any way and had no problems today with a thing can.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife's new xm throws a temp light and muffler code with the MBRP race can. She just shuts it off and starts it back up no limp mode or anything still runs good. Mine with the GGB loud can runs sweet no codes just pure awesome! Lol

Bradvtown

Reaction score
Mine did this twice today on a 30 km tour. Both times with in the first 5 minutes of the ride. After I shut it off the second time never came on again. This is from a brand new 2014. MBRP race can as well.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the code comes up when the probe takes a reading being too "cold", BRP put this calibration in so the operator would actually stop riding and physically look and see if their probe had fallen out so they weren't melting their plasti. so this will most likely effect the sleds in break in being so that they have more oil slubber in the pipe covering the probe via giving a colder reading. I have a 13 with the 14 flash on my sled and obviously im outta break in and no code came up with my sled with a can on

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this any different than the issues the 11's, 12's and 13's had with many of the aftermarket silencers? It seems many of them threw the temp probe codes....but I don't think I will be updating my 13 until we know more, I would rather not run the suitcase this year.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the code comes up when the probe takes a reading being too "cold", BRP put this calibration in so the operator would actually stop riding and physically look and see if their probe had fallen out so they weren't melting their plasti. so this will most likely effect the sleds in break in being so that they have more oil slubber in the pipe covering the probe via giving a colder reading. I have a 13 with the 14 flash on my sled and obviously im outta break in and no code came up with my sled with a can on

exactly. and it is nothing other than a warning. it does not effect the sled whatsoever or retard it in any fashion. and in the end it will most likely happen once or twice and maybe never happen again.

brp is testing right now so we may see an ECU update...or nothing. time will tell i guess

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured once it's through brake in it will be ok. I think it has to do with the amount of oil it's burning.

Boost Monster

Reaction score
Last night was the first ride out with my 2014 XM 163x. I installed a '14 MBRP Race Can. Not sure if I am just lucky but I put 60 hard miles on last night with NO issues! The sled ran flawless! No engine lights, muffler warnings or bogs! I was riding near Gibbons. Tried everything to make it go into limp mode or throw a code and nothing! (poor throttle lol). I had the MBRP Trail can version last year on my '13 XM. It was very quiet I thought. This New MBRP Race Can is loud! It sounds awesome! Nice and quiet just crusing, but slam the Throttle and BRAPPPPPP! ( makes me feel 18 again! ) Lol.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 150 km on a new 14 with mbrp race. throws a code every time i stop for a long time or after initial warm up. Turn it off, start and all good

SledManiac

Reaction score
Yup that is like mine too throws a temp code in the first 5 minutes of the ride ( got a 14' Summit X with a MBRP race can) ,,, shut it off wait a bit then fire it up again and it doesn't come on the rest of the ride.:nono:

finndoo

Reaction score
Got 150 km on a new 14 with mbrp race. throws a code every time i stop for a long time or after initial warm up. Turn it off, start and all good
Do you experience any performance issues when the light comes on?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With BRP thinking they are so smart why in the hell can't they build a muffler that is light and not to loud ??? Polaris has got that thought out. But Polaris is also a lot lighter due to thinking about things like this.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With BRP thinking they are so smart why in the hell can't they build a muffler that is light and not to loud ??? Polaris has got that thought out. But Polaris is also a lot lighter due to thinking about things like this.

the skidoo is meeting emmissions for the next 10 years. polaris maybe 2.

for people that keep the stock can it deffinetly sucks. but for guys who ditch it who cares how big it is

Top Bottom