2014 rmk assault engine temps

doober

Reaction score
Just wondering what temps i should be running at and what is to hot, where should i shut it down, what should i warm it up to before moving, etc, thanks for any info, 2014 155 rmk assault, just a jaws can on it.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My pro runs at 51-53 Celsius. Can't remember when they shut down. But at 65 I stop and cool things off. I don't move mine till at least 35, 40 for the trail.

XanderKane

Reaction score
Just wondering what temps i should be running at and what is to hot, where should i shut it down, what should i warm it up to before moving, etc, thanks for any info, 2014 155 rmk assault, just a jaws can on it.

TKI gear down, Carl's clutch kit, panel vents and mine runs at 120 F on the trail up to the alpine.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the service manual it says ideal running temp is 120 F. I will typically see 125 on hard pack trail with scratchers down and 120 in powder. I wont ride until 120 F and if it hits 150-160 F on the trail I pull over and throw some snow on the tunnel just as a precaution

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing on my 14 pro
In the service manual it says ideal running temp is 120 F. I will typically see 125 on hard pack trail with scratchers down and 120 in powder. I wont ride until 120 F and if it hits 150-160 F on the trail I pull over and throw some snow on the tunnel just as a precaution

doober

Reaction score
Well I am running a lot warmer than that, think I was near 160f last weekend, didn't have my scratchers down though, if I'm not mistaken these assaults don't have the front cooler? What's my easy options to cool it down? Would an extra coolant bottle under the hood do the trick?

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use scratchers!! I stop at 140f, 150-160 scares me! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast6seccamaro

Reaction score
i guess that'll be a good start and see how it affects it, thanks :)

If I forget to put my scratchers down on my sleds, it`ll get pretty warm. Stop and drop the scratchers, within 500` down the trail and its back down to 120f or so. Thats on both my cat and poo with small coolers.

ken.gee

Reaction score
Regular operating temp in constant powder is 121F. I've run mine to 175F, but that was with a broken scratcher and icy trails. A friend of mine new to snowmobiling ran his 15' to over 200F before the light came on.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regular operating temp in constant powder is 121F. I've run mine to 175F, but that was with a broken scratcher and icy trails. A friend of mine new to snowmobiling ran his 15' to over 200F before the light came on.

Scary thing the engine will not enter "limp mode" and shutdown until 230 F... no damage done at 160 F if only for short period of time. Issue I find is once it hits 140 F it will heat up very quickly. Cooling by pass (28$ upgrade) solves this issue and I will be doing on my sled before next trip. No brainer IMO

ken.gee

Reaction score
Jorgy, I've seen the bypass threads briefly but don't quite understand how it works. What is the heat soak? My 13 Pro doesn't seem to lose temerature very quickly after shutting down?

I always thought that even 160F was too hot, until I started paying attention to operating temps on my truck and realized that 160F is nothing. How long do you figure it would be safe to run at a sustained 175F?

doober

Reaction score
Do you think hooking up a second coolant bottle would help at all? Adds more coolant?

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jorgy, I've seen the bypass threads briefly but don't quite understand how it works. What is the heat soak? My 13 Pro doesn't seem to lose temerature very quickly after shutting down?

I always thought that even 160F was too hot, until I started paying attention to operating temps on my truck and realized that 160F is nothing. How long do you figure it would be safe to run at a sustained 175F?

I am no expert on it by any means but have kept up with the threads on Snowest. The heat soak I believe is also referred to as a coolant surge. When you shut your engine off and lets say the temp was 120 F the coolant temp will actually keep rising when the circulation is shut off since the coolant is sitting in top of engine. Then when you start the engine the gauge will likely read up in the 140-150 F range, then will drop due to a surge of fresh coolant that gets shot through the engine and "shocks it". This shock is avoided by the bypass and allows for a quicker warm up time, lower operating temperature and increased engine performance. This is huge after a long tough pull or after a lunch break to let the temp balance either back down to 120 F after re-starting or warm up to this temp. Bypass accomplishes this quicker.

I've read and heard different opinions from different people. There is those who never read the gauge and claim there pro never overheats...Multiple dealers have made recommendations to shut it off and let it cool down if 150-160 F is reached. No internal damage is done at this temp however as I mentioned anyone with a pro knows there is point where you lose it and it will indefinitely creep up unless you find some fresh snow. At 175 F Id drop scratchers if not down already and throw some snow on the top of your tunnel. Better safe than sorry

ken.gee

Reaction score
I am no expert on it by any means but have kept up with the threads on Snowest. The heat soak I believe is also referred to as a coolant surge. When you shut your engine off and lets say the temp was 120 F the coolant temp will actually keep rising when the circulation is shut off since the coolant is sitting in top of engine. Then when you start the engine the gauge will likely read up in the 140-150 F range, then will drop due to a surge of fresh coolant that gets shot through the engine and "shocks it". This shock is avoided by the bypass and allows for a quicker warm up time, lower operating temperature and increased engine performance. This is huge after a long tough pull or after a lunch break to let the temp balance either back down to 120 F after re-starting or warm up to this temp. Bypass accomplishes this quicker.

I've read and heard different opinions from different people. There is those who never read the gauge and claim there pro never overheats...Multiple dealers have made recommendations to shut it off and let it cool down if 150-160 F is reached. No internal damage is done at this temp however as I mentioned anyone with a pro knows there is point where you lose it and it will indefinitely creep up unless you find some fresh snow. At 175 F Id drop scratchers if not down already and throw some snow on the top of your tunnel. Better safe than sorry
Well I've definitely experienced this coolant surge/heat soak, but always attributed it to some electronic issue rather than poor coolant circulation. I've never seen a drastic spike, but I've seen it go up while off, or sustain a hot temp for far too long, then drop off once the machine is turned back on for a minute or so.

Interestingly enough, it appears that the Polaris engineers rectified it on the Axys RMK.

That's great info Jorgy, thanks!

geelak900

Reaction score
I did the $28 cooling mod that Jorgy is referring to on my 2013 pro and have great results. The bypass loop and cold shock benefits are real and worthwhile but the bigger benefit in my mind is the increased flow in the cooling system. The stock pro thermostat is very small and restricted even when it is fully open. The new BRP stat you install is much larger and flows much better. My pro now runs consistently at 111F vs 125F before the mod. Last ride with scratchers down on a long hard packed trail in I never saw it climb over 140, the other pro with me was struggling to keep it under 170. This mod will not allow you to not use scratchers, in my opinion they are mandatory but it makes a substantial difference in cooling system performance. I purchased all the parts including the nice Powerclamps that make for a clean install for under $100, no brainer. Easy mod, takes an hour or so. Hardest part is getting the coolant out.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bit of an off topic but do you guys let it idle for a bit before you shut her down for the trailer ride home?
The guys I ride with usually let there sleds idle and throw snow on the tunnel before they shut them Down (both xps)

Top Bottom