2014 m8000 won't pull rpm, inconsistent

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled will run good for hours then fall on its face. Pulls hard one minute then won't pull over 6500 rpm the next. Fuel tank doesn't seem to effect anything, tried at different fuel levels. When it bogs it sometimes sounds ratty, not a "full" exhaust sound. Hard to explain. Put dialectic grease on connections under hood. No codes pop up. Checked ground. It seems odd it will bog out, then 15 seconds later, pull rpm no problem. Will do this a couple times a day. Have pulled cover and looked at clutches, they appear fine. No unusual belt wear. Curious if anyone else has seen this kind of thing and what was the remedy.thanks

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
225 miles and thanks, I will try that. But what will that do?

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
It will make your secondary close up. if the problem is solved it is a sticky secondary or improper clutching. check with your dealer i know of a recall on some sleds for the secondary. not sure if yours is in that group or not.

thekrust

Reaction score
Also could be power valves not opening. If they fail it will fall flat at 65-6800rpm. Check servo connection. Also could be the exhaust getting blocked up with snow. (I thought this problem was fixed) Does it only happen in deep powder, especially carving to the right?

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots off deep snow, but does it regardless of which way I'm carving it. Going to rip it apart and check power valves, put in some new plugs, double check connections. Hopefully see some thing that will give piece of mind. Thanks

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True, it is under warranty. But this is the best riding local I have seen in a long time. I can't have it sitting waiting to be looked at. I'm taking a chance that it could be a simple fix and stay riding.

dopey333

Reaction score
have you heard your fuel pump whining at all? if so check your smart valves in the tank. Was out in the mountains and my dads friend had similar issues happening. next ride when it happens pull the assembley and see if your front smart valve is compressed closed. if so switch it with the rear one on the right I believe it is (theres a video on how to do it) and if it does it again to save your riding day pull the front smart valve off completely to continue getting fuel. Fuel pump may not whine. Took us about 15 mins to get it out and look at them on the trail so its pretty easy.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine did this exactly what your descibing originally when i was breaking it in, I swapped plugs ad check power valve adjustment then went to the mountains and its ran flawless since!

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have changed plugs, cleaned power valves, runs awesome 90% of the time. Seems consistently get moisture in intake. If you idle for a minute, you have to whiskey the throttle a couple times to get a clean rpm gain. Going to pull intake apart and see what seal is missing. Three sleds in our group are doing the same thing. Some worse then others. Anybody else notice these sleds are hard on fuel?

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2014 sems to run great now that they warrantied the smart valves but my buddies sled is doing the exact thing your talking about. runs great for a while then it seems like it drops a cylinder then it runs great again. He just changed plugs and dumped all his fuel to try different stuff, we checked the power valves and all seemed fine there. I unplugged every connector i could get my hands on and put dieelectric grease in all of them. He went out this morning to try it again before he takes it back to the dealer which is an hour away. Has about 180 miles on it, and it has been that way from the start.

Both sleds seem to load up when they idle for a bit, takes a bit to clean out when you go to take off. And yes they seem hard on fuel. Looking at the XM doo they are much harder on fuel and oil in comparison.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put foam intake seal from 2012 proclimb into my new sled, very little moisture now in my intake track. And I drained all fuel out and replaced with fresh fuel from petro can. Not a problem since, still loads up at idle but I can live with that. Premium fuels are not all equal

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem has resurfaced as bad or worse then before. Sled does not like fluff deep snow. Go for hard pull, slow a bit and won't rev past 6800. But power valves clean. Kind of a pi$$ off with all the fresh snow and sled just farts away. But then cleans up and runs great.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took my buddies sled out again yesterday and we found that the problem happened when he carved in deep snow to the exhaust side only. can carve to the clutch side all day long with no issues. looks like its the aftermarket can that is causing the problem.

TRACKSIDEDOWN

Reaction score
My sled has same problem I think. Hard pull, then no bottom end. Sounds crappy and burbles. Doesn't matter if carving on either side. I have checked over sled numerous times. New plugs, cleaned intake and power valves. No change. Took to dealer, who couldnt get it to show symptom, ended up have to pay shop time due to can't claim on warranty. Nice. Sporadic problems suck. Anybody else find a solution to this kind of thing? Happens about an hour into riding, but again, not consistently. Had three rides with no hiccups, then today, back to sh!t.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it might sound to simple but my brother-in-laws sled was doing this too. Cause was the O2 sensor on the top of the pipe, clutch side, was not installed from factory. Sled would load up when idling exactly as you mentioned.

It is hard to see and get at (located right under the headlight) and pointing straight down into the pipe. Worth a look if you haven't already

hurtinalbertin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem but I think I've got it fixed, ran in 3' powder this weekend and not a problem. First put a frogzskin on the exhaust side hole, then pull hood off and silicone around intake rubber and every other hole around a-arms and shocks etc... Before my belly pan was filled with snow half way up my exhaust and now only about 1/2" snow at the bottom and no issues

Top Bottom