2014 / 2015 Valemount Conditions and Updates

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Allen yesterday. High traffic areas getting tracked up. 8-10" fresh(ish) over hard pack

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one bust into oasis yet??? I'm not a newbie looking for directions just wondering if there's a trail through trees yet, or should a guy be prepared for a full day of smashing in??

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one bust into oasis yet??? I'm not a newbie looking for directions just wondering if there's a trail through trees yet, or should a guy be prepared for a full day of smashing in??

We were into oasis before Xmas. There's a path beat in

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The skies have opened up over the last few days and provided some fresh snow in the Valemount and surrounding areas. Reported amounts vary, although users can expect a good range from 20-40cm depending on location and distribution. Although........yesterdays inversion has really settled this new snow above 1850m and left a bit of a nasty crust in the open areas.

IMO best riding will be the treeline and below treeline elevations unless you can find sheltered pockets of windloaded snow in low risk alpine areas.

All three main areas will be groomed up again tonight!

Ride safe

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Chappel yesterday. Had a good day but severely tracked out till we get more snow. Gonna make our way up Allen or somewhere a bit more remote and see if we can find snow.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This video goes to show the importance of understanding the true extent of persistent weak layers. The typical "mount everest" type slopes are not the only ones that can surprise us.

As sledders, the terrain we can cover in a matter of hours demands that we pay attention. We must be aware and observe our surroundings and continually test the snow that we are riding on.

Thank you very much to the great group of riders that donated the footage. This is something that can really raise awareness within our community and its important that we share stories like this.

Dec 17 SH in Action - YouTube

Last edited:

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to take the time to comment about the group of guys that were messing around in avalanche alley yesterday. Our group was just passing by when there was a group of about 8 riders who were sitting right at the bottom of a run out zone watching eachother climb it. After we past the sign and got to safe ground we stopped to watch what we called fu**ing idi*ots put their lives in the hands of a sketchy hoar layer 1 m below surface. As we sat and watched, a guy got stuck on the cimb about 1/2-3/4 of the way up. Having to spend 30 minutes trying to get himself un stuck on the slope. Who ever this was i know you arent the only ones who do it. but you were a prime example of what not to do. every single tree on that slope is bent from previous avys do you not see it!!! and there were 2 slides a few chutes over in the alley aswell. I know you dont think this puts others at risk but if you were to get in an avalanche we are put at risk trying to rescue you. There are signs that say no stopping for a reason, no matter how tracked out the area is, why try to put your life at such a high risk.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to take the time to comment about the group of guys that were messing around in avalanche alley yesterday. Our group was just passing by when there was a group of about 8 riders who were sitting right at the bottom of a run out zone watching eachother climb it. After we past the sign and got to safe ground we stopped to watch what we called fu**ing idi*ots put their lives in the hands of a sketchy hoar layer 1 m below surface. As we sat and watched, a guy got stuck on the cimb about 1/2-3/4 of the way up. Having to spend 30 minutes trying to get himself un stuck on the slope. Who ever this was i know you arent the only ones who do it. but you were a prime example of what not to do. every single tree on that slope is bent from previous avys do you not see it!!! and there were 2 slides a few chutes over in the alley aswell. I know you dont think this puts others at risk but if you were to get in an avalanche we are put at risk trying to rescue you. There are signs that say no stopping for a reason, no matter how tracked out the area is, why try to put your life at such a high risk.

saw that. it actually slid on him in an isolated section thankfully. i have a photo i will find. this year that entire thing and the bowl above it came down. huge consequence. i couldnt beleive the marks on it this weekend! thats what happens when the snow goes to chit guys start pushing pushing pushing. its just the select few idiots that cant comprehend why there was 450843250984 snowmobiles through that area and thats the only hill with no tracks on it...

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
saw that. it actually slid on him in an isolated section thankfully. i have a photo i will find. this year that entire thing and the bowl above it came down. huge consequence. i couldnt beleive the marks on it this weekend! thats what happens when the snow goes to chit guys start pushing pushing pushing. its just the select few idiots that cant comprehend why there was 450843250984 snowmobiles through that area and thats the only hill with no tracks on it...

Always blows my mind when I see guys climbing there. You would think seeing the signs posted would be enough. Guess not.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Between this thread and the XM thread, you've been seeing an incredibly high number of sleds out there this season. ;) That, or you're trying to keep everyone away. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom