2014 / 2015 Valemount Conditions and Updates

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708702.416464.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708769.144263.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708781.593440.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708793.571909.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708808.120979.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708820.222366.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708834.499507.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708860.006148.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416708874.458487.jpg

Great ride up Allen.
Ok it your no good at climbing the icy old trail wait till next weekend
3 inches at parking lot. Rode good snow from truck to almost the new trail where the old one connects at km 6-7 ish there there was about 8 inches to a foot.
Once you round the corner at the top where you can see the cabin snows great. We were carving everywhere. Went back to caribou bowl and turned around cause it was puking snow so hard. Went back and played around cabin and close to lake at deepest was 5-6 feet of snow.
Didn't hit any land mines and ha a great day we will be back up tomorrow.

Wish I could load videos but don't know how

FatGuy

Reddragon816

Reaction score
View attachment 178295View attachment 178296View attachment 178297View attachment 178298View attachment 178299View attachment 178300View attachment 178301View attachment 178302View attachment 178303

Great ride up Allen.
Ok it your no good at climbing the icy old trail wait till next weekend
3 inches at parking lot. Rode good snow from truck to almost the new trail where the old one connects at km 6-7 ish there there was about 8 inches to a foot.
Once you round the corner at the top where you can see the cabin snows great. We were carving everywhere. Went back to caribou bowl and turned around cause it was puking snow so hard. Went back and played around cabin and close to lake at deepest was 5-6 feet of snow.
Didn't hit any land mines and ha a great day we will be back up tomorrow.

Wish I could load videos but don't know how

FatGuy

were you boys the first to make it into Allen? And what's this new trail? Like new as in this summer or was it there last season? Great pics and info. When the riding is good i know its hard to stop to take pics. Much appreciated!

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No some boys were in last weekend I think.

The old trail is old switch backs from back in the day. The new trail (the one that gets groomed ) is gated and locked at km 3 and is closed to until there is enough snow to groom. Makes the trail last longer in the spring.
Old trail goes strait into the willows at km 3. It has some steep nasty icy sections and often bottle necks with riders trying to get up it in early season. Key is to run it fast and keep your momentum up.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update FatGuy!! See you guys up here middle of december! Probably going to need a few days to relieve all this damn exam stress.:mad:

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ufortunatly I'm having some electrical issues on my Xp and need to tear it apart to properly fix it. I have my new freeride here but don't know if I can get parts before next weekend if I smash it. Lol so I won't be going up. Dam.
But it is snowing hard in blue right now so Curtis and the crew should have a blast today. Be back in a couple of days. Keep dancing boys.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey fat guy , send me a pm if u wanna disgust electrical issues un less u know what it is , I'v dealt with a lot of minor electrical problems that caused some pretty wierd and serious issues . Or u can give me a call at lodge 250-566-9933. I'm no mater mechanic but Iv know my way around an xp .

Summit River Lodge
" The Secrets Out"

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reeds are getting changed in the turbo. In prep for Tuesday.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416777725967.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416777725967.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 809

Valemount Skier

Reaction score
Clemina Conditions on Friday November 21 and Sunday November 23

Into Clemina on Friday and Sunday for some more early season ski touring. About 12-15cm since previous weekend, giving maybe 60cm at road from about 15km to cabin. Higher up there is about 80cm where wind hasn't moved things around too much. Still lots of open water in Morning Glory, and in a few spots in Goat Ridge Bowl. Snowed all of the time I was up there on Sunday, with about 5cm accumulated in about 6 hours.

On Friday dug pit at about 6650ft on 30 degree SE facing slope in sheltered location on Goat Ridge Bowl side of ridge between Goat Ridge Bowl and No-Name Bowl. CTM15 below raincrust about 20cm down and CTH21 about 60cm down at density boundary, both sudden planar. ECT showed collapse but no propagation. Results were repeatable in that pit.

On Sunday, as I moved into open treeline areas, could feel a "punchy" layer a few cms below surface. Stopped and dug pit at about 6700ft on 20 degree SW facking slope in open area heading up to saddle south of Stargazer Peak (radio tower). CTE3 below wind crust about 8cm down, CTM11 at top of rain crust about 20cm down, CTM17 at bottom of rain crust about 28cm down (rain crust was about 8cm thick here), all sudden planar. ECT showed collapse but no propagation. Results were repeatable in that pit. "Punchy" layer was in all wind-exposed areas at treeline, and reacted repeatedly in hand shear tests.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clemina Conditions on Friday November 21 and Sunday November 23

Into Clemina on Friday and Sunday for some more early season ski touring. About 12-15cm since previous weekend, giving maybe 60cm at road from about 15km to cabin. Higher up there is about 80cm where wind hasn't moved things around too much. Still lots of open water in Morning Glory, and in a few spots in Goat Ridge Bowl. Snowed all of the time I was up there on Sunday, with about 5cm accumulated in about 6 hours.

On Friday dug pit at about 6650ft on 30 degree SE facing slope in sheltered location on Goat Ridge Bowl side of ridge between Goat Ridge Bowl and No-Name Bowl. CTM15 below raincrust about 20cm down and CTH21 about 60cm down at density boundary, both sudden planar. ECT showed collapse but no propagation. Results were repeatable in that pit.

On Sunday, as I moved into open treeline areas, could feel a "punchy" layer a few cms below surface. Stopped and dug pit at about 6700ft on 20 degree SW facking slope in open area heading up to saddle south of Stargazer Peak (radio tower). CTE3 below wind crust about 8cm down, CTM11 at top of rain crust about 20cm down, CTM17 at bottom of rain crust about 28cm down (rain crust was about 8cm thick here), all sudden planar. ECT showed collapse but no propagation. Results were repeatable in that pit. "Punchy" layer was in all wind-exposed areas at treeline, and reacted repeatedly in hand shear tests.

Awesome information thank you!

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome post BCskier, thanks a lot.

We saw similar snow levels in the Allen Creek area today. Treeline to alpine averaged between 70-90cm depending on distribution.
The wind has been hammering quite hard from the south and slabbing is apparent near ridgetops.

The snowpack is a mixed bag for sure and it will be very intersting to see how it plays out. We saw the same failures as noted above by BCskier in ther upper of the two crusts.

For a quick video and a to view a few photos from the day, please click this link. Please Like the page if you want to recieve auto updates throughout the season

https://www.facebook.com/frozenpiratesnowservices

Attachments

• 20141123_113030[2].jpg
    20141123_113030[2].jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 721

Agent417

Reaction score
Awesome post BCskier, thanks a lot.

We saw similar snow levels in the Allen Creek area today. Treeline to alpine averaged between 70-90cm depending on distribution.
The wind has been hammering quite hard from the south and slabbing is apparent near ridgetops.

The snowpack is a mixed bag for sure and it will be very intersting to see how it plays out. We saw the same failures as noted above by BCskier in ther upper of the two crusts.

For a quick video and a to view a few photos from the day, please click this link. Please Like the page if you want to recieve auto updates throughout the season

https://www.facebook.com/frozenpiratesnowservices

How was the trail up Curtis? Hopefully better than last year at this time!

Top Bottom