2013 Sled weights

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO funny chit.......I just know that you can't run out on a dooooooo. LOL
We ran 2 out on Boulder 2 winters ago. The first one ran out at Turbo and we drained a coke bottle and a half gas into it and got it to the cabin. The second sled made it back to Superbowl and ran out. Mark Schaede sold us some fuel at the cabin at hill market price and we got the second one and the first one to the trucks. Thankyou Mark.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Weight? Does it really matter?

They are all heavy when they are to the bars in a snow bank and you have to jump down to get to the tunnel and one has to extract the beast.

A friggin' good workout! I'm glad I'm on a Doo and don't get stuck much..........

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the idea. We lead you off into 15 directions and when your done you can't even remember what site your on. Lol.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garage weight means nothing to me. Weigh them after a day on the hill, see which brand packs in the most snow, which brand has the most storage area to pack weight in, etc etc. No one rides a garage weight with no fuel and no tools in the back.

Doo started it with the lightweight revolution, however now its to the point where boards are flimsy and manfacturers are producing sleds by bonding parts with epoxy. Polaris had a great idea when they built the bulkheads from cast and allowed the a-arms to be the weak link, then designed it so that the arms could be replaced in under 2 hrs.

Now they have gone too far by making too many items integrated into the chassis IMO (chaincase etc), if you tweak the tunnel you can no longer replace just individual components or you have to figure out a way to bond the parts together again, not sure how strong re-bonded seams would be and lots of straigtening will be required to make sure that the mating surface are aligned just right. This translates directly back to costs. The Cat/Pro/Doo/Yammy might be cheaper initially, but replacing a few parts can eat up any differences quickly off the initial price and should be considered. Also consider lost riding time due to repairs.

I'm all for lightweight but it seems like things are almost too weak now for us mountain guys. I'm not saying they should be able to take a head on at 60 with no damage but I'm not an eastern trail rider and I don't want to have to stick to the trail for fear of scrubbing a small tree at 15 km/hr that will bend my bulkhead or tunnel. Most buyers are not going to hang a sale over 15-20 lbs between brands, you might accumulate that much difference in snow on the hill any way. I say add 20 lbs of structure back into the sleds in the right spots and you'd have strong and light for us western riders. I'd rather pay $1000 more initially to have a sled that lasts a season and can take a little rub, than one that needs constant repairs/parts replacement.
good point but skidoo made the freeride !!!!All things being equal if garage weight is 20lbs different then bring them in from a day in the snow and they will be 20lbs different !!!???NO?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ran 2 out on Boulder 2 winters ago. The first one ran out at Turbo and we drained a coke bottle and a half gas into it and got it to the cabin. The second sled made it back to Superbowl and ran out. Mark Schaede sold us some fuel at the cabin at hill market price and we got the second one and the first one to the trucks. Thankyou Mark.

I have run mine out a handful of times. A few of which were on Boulder. haha are you sure Shaede didn't sell you fuel from some other poor suckers jerry can he found laying around? :p

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garage weight means nothing to me. Weigh them after a day on the hill, see which brand packs in the most snow, which brand has the most storage area to pack weight in, etc etc. No one rides a garage weight with no fuel and no tools in the back.

Doo started it with the lightweight revolution, however now its to the point where boards are flimsy and manfacturers are producing sleds by bonding parts with epoxy. Polaris had a great idea when they built the bulkheads from cast and allowed the a-arms to be the weak link, then designed it so that the arms could be replaced in under 2 hrs.

Now they have gone too far by making too many items integrated into the chassis IMO (chaincase etc), if you tweak the tunnel you can no longer replace just individual components or you have to figure out a way to bond the parts together again, not sure how strong re-bonded seams would be and lots of straigtening will be required to make sure that the mating surface are aligned just right. This translates directly back to costs. The Cat/Pro/Doo/Yammy might be cheaper initially, but replacing a few parts can eat up any differences quickly off the initial price and should be considered. Also consider lost riding time due to repairs.

I'm all for lightweight but it seems like things are almost too weak now for us mountain guys. I'm not saying they should be able to take a head on at 60 with no damage but I'm not an eastern trail rider and I don't want to have to stick to the trail for fear of scrubbing a small tree at 15 km/hr that will bend my bulkhead or tunnel. Most buyers are not going to hang a sale over 15-20 lbs between brands, you might accumulate that much difference in snow on the hill any way. I say add 20 lbs of structure back into the sleds in the right spots and you'd have strong and light for us western riders. I'd rather pay $1000 more initially to have a sled that lasts a season and can take a little rub, than one that needs constant repairs/parts replacement.

I agree with some of what u say but , reality , I think I've seen way more serious damage to sleds like bulkhead, tunnel, steering components and shock attach points on the older sleds over the years than the new ones. I think the new tech is stronger more durable and certainly lighter, and it's allowing us to have more fun and go places we couldn't get to before. We have a pretty big riding group of all the newer iron, xp, pro, especially, not many proclimbs, and some of them have been beat on pretty good and other than just head on with trees or whatever, these new tech sleds are tough, I say tougher than our old iron. But the $1000 more for better longevity or resale, no way, might have been true with the dragons and their issues but that $1000 bucks isn't coming back on the resale xp, especially now with the xm out. Even maxwell agreed he uses over 1000 liters a year, well just imagine, anything up to 1000 liters is like free fuel for the pro guys, awful lot of pros on the snow last 2 years and other than on this 4 m, the down time for our poo guys was almost even with our doo guys, and that's considering a whole pile of sleds. And the weight thing, I ll pick the lighter one, just more fun, more snow held in chassis or suspension making them even during riding, no way, same ch!t, different pile I think. If they start 50 lbs apart, put the same gas and riders on me, they r gonna finish the day 50 lbs apart.

And if anyone on here believes any of the horseshit fredw babbles about they need a head check, his stories are southern Alberta farm fantasies and have no basis in reality, even maxwell and sno pro have jumped off his bandwagon, even they couldn't eat that crap.
xp, Pro, great choice, Xm ..... I guess well see. Cat...... Not snuff experience with proclimbs to comment.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run mine out a handful of times. A few of which were on Boulder. haha are you sure Shaede didn't sell you fuel from some other poor suckers jerry can he found laying around? :p

With Mark that is a distinct possibility. Lol.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for all the guys that say the etec is great on fuel, i think you need to spend little more time on the throttle and a little less on the bottle. I burn my full tank and most of my caddy pretty much every ride. This year i'm gonna be hauling a second caddy seeing how brp was nice enough to pre drill my tunnel for the linq thingies;)

oh and the weight issue is kinda silly. what difference does it make when your sled is 20 lbs lighter than mine, but I am 50 lbs lighter than you?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for all the guys that say the etec is great on fuel, i think you need to spend little more time on the throttle and a little less on the bottle. I burn my full tank and most of my caddy pretty much every ride. This year i'm gonna be hauling a second caddy seeing how brp was nice enough to pre drill my tunnel for the linq thingies;)

oh and the weight issue is kinda silly. what difference does it make when your sled is 20 lbs lighter than mine, but I am 50 lbs lighter than you?

I don't care who you are but a full tank and 2 caddy's on an etec and you are one bagged dude at the end of the day. Do you stop to have a pizz anytime throughout the day?Lol.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

30 lbs, Duh. Not 50 like if the sleds were equal weight. And u r dealing with 50 lbs more sled, I don't care how light you are or how heavy I am.

Reactions: cs5

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 lbs, Duh. Not 50 like if the sleds were equal weight. And u r dealing with 50 lbs more sled, I don't care how light you are or how heavy I am.

LennyR this wasn't a math lesson, the point is that the sled weight is just a part of the equation.

snopro i've never burned the second full caddy but I have had to throw a little in from a buddies caddy just in case lol. If those depends were a little more comfortable, I wouldnt have to stop at all

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lenny your horsecrap is much thicker than mine could every be... you need to find new fish stories to feed us... the stinch is getting nasty once again on here...

I agree with some of what u say but , reality , I think I've seen way more serious damage to sleds like bulkhead, tunnel, steering components and shock attach points on the older sleds over the years than the new ones. I think the new tech is stronger more durable and certainly lighter, and it's allowing us to have more fun and go places we couldn't get to before. We have a pretty big riding group of all the newer iron, xp, pro, especially, not many proclimbs, and some of them have been beat on pretty good and other than just head on with trees or whatever, these new tech sleds are tough, I say tougher than our old iron. But the $1000 more for better longevity or resale, no way, might have been true with the dragons and their issues but that $1000 bucks isn't coming back on the resale xp, especially now with the xm out. Even maxwell agreed he uses over 1000 liters a year, well just imagine, anything up to 1000 liters is like free fuel for the pro guys, awful lot of pros on the snow last 2 years and other than on this 4 m, the down time for our poo guys was almost even with our doo guys, and that's considering a whole pile of sleds. And the weight thing, I ll pick the lighter one, just more fun, more snow held in chassis or suspension making them even during riding, no way, same ch!t, different pile I think. If they start 50 lbs apart, put the same gas and riders on me, they r gonna finish the day 50 lbs apart.

And if anyone on here believes any of the horseshit fredw babbles about they need a head check, his stories are southern Alberta farm fantasies and have no basis in reality, even maxwell and sno pro have jumped off his bandwagon, even they couldn't eat that crap.
xp, Pro, great choice, Xm ..... I guess well see. Cat...... Not snuff experience with proclimbs to comment.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely less damage on the new sleds cause their so much easier to ride and they don't get crashed as much. Fred, put her to the bar dude burn some fuel, seems most the other Doo guys are using more than you.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually get to the Hill crack of noon probably why I don't use much fuel.

I bet.

But really... FredW is full of crap. How much fuel do you really use in a day of Maxwell riding?? Not that it will matter when the snow flies. We will all ride what we have in the trailer and fill what needs to be filled when the snow finally arrives :)

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a 2012 etec loaner for 3 days and every day had to add fuel to go home. Partly cause it wasn't mine and I never shut it of. But mostly cause I diddnt get worn out like on my nytro. Can't wait to get my xm!! Having a new chassis/sled is going to make this season awesome. It's all about the fun boys. Ride safe and keep an eye on your buddies.

Top Bottom