2013 Pro rmk 800 maintenance

Kyle89

Reaction score
Hi I just picked up a 2013 pro rmk. I'm new to polaris sleds, know about the common piston issues.
c9431ea3aaf4abb95094ee3c6f241bc3.jpg

It has 1800 miles/2900km. Seems to be original top end. Compression was 112psi on clutch side and 106psi on other. Believe is stock top end still.

Previous owner never had any issues, said it was solid sled. I removed the exhaust valves today and cleaned them right up.
67cedd5d0fb24f8794ed94e274830890.jpg

Shot of the rings
18ae3da9eb591f2186b56756f5c4aff7.jpg

Just looking for tips and things to check for to have the most reliable I can make it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swiller

Reaction score
compression sounds a little low ....should be 125 ...might want to put in the fix kit.valves look a little gummy for using good oil...mine had 2600 miles and looked a lot cleaner.ck clutch bushings and weights ...I bet they are wore out .blow dust out of both clutches ...makes them last way longer .i blow them out 3 times a season. Ck ski bushings and suspension bushings as well

Kyle89

Reaction score
compression sounds a little low ....should be 125 ...might want to put in the fix kit.valves look a little gummy for using good oil...mine had 2600 miles and looked a lot cleaner.ck clutch bushings and weights ...I bet they are wore out .blow dust out of both clutches ...makes them last way longer .i blow them out 3 times a season. Ck ski bushings and suspension bushings as well
VES oil is what was used and 100:1 premix in tank aswell. I'm looking at either fix kit or fresh topend kit. Thanks!

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I found VES to gum up the power valves on two sleds. Check the tunnel in the foot wells to see if it is bulging, might want to throw a set of stiffeners in. Check the primary clutch faces on the minor diameter. They will wear flat so might need to replace the clutch if it bothers you. The Arctic Cat belts are not as abrasive and wont wear the clutch faces out so I am told. Like said before check all the ball joints and make sure the fasteners are tight, mine loosened off but that was on the Timbersled arms after the glue let loose on the factory arms. Change the bottom quick drive bolt every season, cheap insurance since they can still break. If you like rolling the sled and have the handle bars in the snow carry some lock deicer or winter windshield washer fluid to put in the throttle cable if it starts to freeze up.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As has been said already, check/replace pistons, check clutches, check bearings in skid, check all bolts in skid as I had a couple back out on me. And for me the big one was the glued A-arms, if there is rust coming out of the glue between the a arm tube and the aluminum end its almost certainly about to fail.

Kyle89

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'll be checking these things out.

nosaj82

Reaction score
Agree with all the comments already noted. I threw a mtnk in my 11 Pro last season for peace of mind, had a little over 2000km. It's also a good idea to go over your wiring. Unplug all connections, clean up prongs, throw some di-electric grease on the prongs and plug back in. Tedious task I know but it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nosaj82

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the motor mounts. This was a common problem on the 11 and 12's. not sure if it was rectified in the 13's. check to make sure they are tight. I had two snap on me in my 11. Luckily they snapped around the same time I threw my fix kit in. I had to pull the whole motor out to fix the mounts. Good old heli coil came in handy and is still holding strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it has the original Quick Drive belt that has to be changed. In 14 they improved the belt. I had a 13 and 15 Pro and check compression after every ride. Never had a reading over 118 in Calgary. Altitude affects this.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it has the original Quick Drive belt that has to be changed. In 14 they improved the belt. I had a 13 and 15 Pro and check compression after every ride. Never had a reading over 118 in Calgary. Altitude affects this.

And not to mention everyone's gauge reads different. We have a buy gauge and sell gauge. They are both quality gauges and read different. 110-115 is not uncommon 150-120 would be better. I have seen brand new Axys with 120. There are not higher compression motors. I read a post of a guy selling his and has 145psi. stock LOL! okay.

Top Bottom