2013/2014 Valemount Conditions and Updates!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Planning on heading to Valemount tomorrow morning, going to go to Allen Creek just wondering if anyone has been up there today and what the Avalanche conditions are like, hearing alot of different things online.

there is a special public avalanche warning in effect for all of BC. its bad, alot of things are moving. tread lightly and minimize your exposure to big slopes and ANY 30-50 degree terrain even some very small hills are letting go in thick slabs on low angle aspects. tons of snow out there no need to be pushing big terrain. im curious as what different things your hearing online? when a special public avalanche warning is issued its pretty hard to say things are in good shape LOL

North Columbia - Cariboos : Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
Well I rode Clemina today. Was playing around in goat ridge bowl and watched the south west of the bowl rip down all by its self. Very good eye opener. At least a3 foot slab at the top. Pay attention. Watch every direction. The flats had more then enough snow to get stuck in.

Was the best ride I had in Clemina in years.

Fatguy.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent Weds in Chappell, great snow not many tracks. On the way out there were several large sluffs on the trail... the larger of which were easily 2.5+ foot deep slabs. The snowpack sitting on the bad layers is dense and heavy.

Rode Clemina on Thurs, stayed in the roadside cutblocks and cabin valley. About a foot less snow than Chappell but still good snow, much more traction.
Wouldn't even consider riding the bowls right now with what I saw in the layers. While digging my sled out of a creek on just slightly sloped ground, 2 foot deep slabs kept slipping off into my driveway.

Keep your eyes open!

Last edited:

dsenych

Reaction score
Yesterday a guy got caught in a small slide at Allan Creek. It wasn't very big and he was only under for about 10 secs but still pretty crazy. It carried his sled into some trees and smashed it up a bit.. He was able to ride it out in limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday a guy got caught in a small slide at Allan Creek. It wasn't very big and he was only under for about 10 secs but still pretty crazy. It carried his sled into some trees and smashed it up a bit.. He was able to ride it out in limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yikes! thats scary stuff.

Maxwe

Reaction score
Here is more of a sense of the snowpack conditions.
UPDATE: The Coquihalla Highway reopened Saturday between Hope and Merritt after closing for two days due to a high avalanche hazard.
On Thursday, there was a “class 4″ avalanche that was 100 metres wide and three metres deep. More than three metres of snow has fallen over this region of the Coquihalla in the last nine days, which is unprecedented for this region. The Coquihalla Highway has been open for 27 years and officials say they have never seen avalanche conditions in the corridor, from Hope to Merritt, like they have seen recently. The Canadian Avalanche Centre confirmed this is one of the worst weak layers they have seen in years.

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic from Clemina last weekend. Kinda hard to see cuz it's a screenshot of a video I took. I'll post the vid when I get the chance. But these cuz couldn't have picked a worse hill to climb and climbing two guys at a time to boot. Not to mention the four guys right below them getting a sled unstuck. Very lucky the hill didn't slide and kill all of them. If your that dumb to climb hills like that in these conditions just stop sledding your making all of use look bad. This hill is off the right of the trail about 2-3 km before the cabin.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the guys that were poking avalanche alley all day today. You got lucky that's all I'm saying. Fresh snow everywhere and you choose there? Avalanche area ahead do not stop didn't do it for you? Not only will you kill yourselves but also harmless passer bys. I couldn't even go down to give them a tip because I didn't feel like dying. Unbelievable! In this day and age with Facebook and sledding websites you would have to live in the bush to not know what's going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the guys that were poking avalanche alley all day today. You got lucky that's all I'm saying. Fresh snow everywhere and you choose there? Avalanche area ahead do not stop didn't do it for you? Not only will you kill yourselves but also harmless passer bys. I couldn't even go down to give them a tip because I didn't feel like dying. Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Really. ....after all the warnings there are still some "richards" out there? Guys like that you want to steer clear of but " common sense " says HELP.... then makes decent people feel guilty.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

xp24

Reaction score
That's what I mean maxwell and catryder88. Those are the people that should stay at home before they hurt someone. Thats all I meant

SummitX509

Reaction score
Planning on heading to Valemount and do some riding next weekend. With all the fresh snow tree riding should be a good time! Can't wait!!

Last edited:

GT500john

Reaction score
Yup seen that to when we went by couldn't believe it. Same in Super Bowl to. Had to leave early before the sh $&t hit the fan.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow people are stupid. In the upper left of the first pic It looks like people were poking beside or on the hill that slid last Monday and buried the guy? Can't tell with the shading but it kinda looks like tracks going on it

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and they walk amongst us........unreal.

I really cant believe the video.......fawktards! Stay home!

Top Bottom