2012 PRO 163 Rear Shock Blew

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to there rear skid shock as well. Blew on the trail out of Mustang Powder a couple weeks ago. I was hauling some ass but no hard hits I noticed and then the rear end began to buck and bottom out hard. I figured this is what had happened and just took it easy the few miles left to the trucks and found it completely split and the end cap slid right inside.

Do you think this was from bottoming out hard? Should I put a stiffer spring on the next one? Find it crappy that theres no rubber jounce stop on the shaft to stop this from happening.

I'd love to put a set of Raptors in the rear but no way I can invest that kind of cash yet.

Does anyone have a stock rear shock that they could sell me?

IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0328.JPG IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0330.JPG

Last edited:

crts_lmbrt6

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen on my 2012 155. I was 2km from the truck and I saw pieces of my shock fly out in front of me. I talked to polaris about it and they said it happens when the shock gets worn out. A replacement shock from them was around $500.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$500 Ouch. If I can't find a used one might as well get an aftermarket one for that price.

Shouldn't be worn out sled only has 900 miles. How many did you have on it?

Sounds like Polaris bull anyway, shocks should just start to get bouncy not blow wide open.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think it should be covered under warranty but it might come down to if your dealer is a good one

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this sled second hand and was told it had warranty until this Sept but I thought that was only engine and the chassis warranty was only one year, but I'm not sure about that. I haven't talked to Polaris yet. I'll try stopping in at Cycle Works in Calgary here with the shock and see what they say. It was bought from Cycle Works in Edmonton.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Cause is definatly poor skid design. If your skid had a proper bump stop even with completely worn out shocks that wouldnt happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom