2012 etec mid range bog

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, get about 5500-6500 rpm and the sled bogs a bit. Where should I start with diagnosing the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that, is it a common issue with the execs? If so I'm gonna check that first.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how common it is but have heard of a few etecs with cracked or broken ones.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reeds, fouled plugs, fouled plug wires, check for corrosion on coil, ensure raves are operating normally. After that it's hard parts like injectors

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many Kms? It seems the etecs won't make it much past 2-2500k on the stock reeds. I would start there,mine were completely destroyed at 2400. I did my RAVE valves at 3200kms just because and they were carboned up but my no means sticking. Also if the Raves are hanging up they should trigger a check engine light. The other bog issue I've run into is a broken filament seal on the spark plugs. A telltale for this is when u pull a plug boot off it will have a bunch of black dust on it. They should be pretty much clean. Go from there and let us know

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many Kms? It seems the etecs won't make it much past 2-2500k on the stock reeds. I would start there,mine were completely destroyed at 2400. I did my RAVE valves at 3200kms just because and they were carboned up but my no means sticking. Also if the Raves are hanging up they should trigger a check engine light. The other bog issue I've run into is a broken filament seal on the spark plugs. A telltale for this is when u pull a plug boot off it will have a bunch of black dust on it. They should be pretty much clean. Go from there and let us know

I agree, my reeds where destroyed at 3000kms. Very bad midrange bog and sometimes really bad at WOT.

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put new plugs in, raves look and feel very smooth to lift, pulled reeds and not cracks or lifting but a little gummed up, pulled primary apart and cleaned it up, everything looked good, will be trying it next weekend. Thanks for the input guys.

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So took the etec for a little ride today, doesn't have the bog at mid range, it's now only reving up to 7200, adjusted the clickers from 1 to 4 and only gained 200 rpm up to 7400. Why can't I get it up to 8000? Belt deflection is good. From what I've heard you should get 250 rpm for every clicker increment.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check billows on the raves.
Had one a few years ago rip and was doing the same thing.
On a ptec but same , same.

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bellows are good. Pulled the line of that operates them and they were easy to move, put the line on and they were stiffer.

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured out the problem, found one of the output hoses from the solenoid to the raves had pipped off the solenoid. Runs way better with that hooked up haha.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured out the problem, found one of the output hoses from the solenoid to the raves had pipped off the solenoid. Runs way better with that hooked up haha.

Good to know. I will make sure I look over that the next time.

Top Bottom