2012 bd turbo issue

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, as some of you know i just bought a 2012 turbo pro. i have ridden it twice now and im pleased with the sled. first day was good, 40 miles and no issues other then the stock running boards are complete junk. i knew this when i bought it though. i did notice a small "stumble" ? best i can describe it. it wont happen all the time nor can i make it happen but it all most seems like it falls on its face for a split second and then back to normal. i dont have to back off throttle or anything. sometimes i notice it when im flipping the throttle open and closed quickly over and over and other times it will happen when i hammer down on it. not a huge deal as i said its only for a split second. now the second day/yesterday we went out again and i was able to ride the sled much better as i just installed a set of tr racing tube boards. i took a small poke at a hill to see how the sled would work. to my surprise the sled seems to break up at full throttle pulling a hill. almost like its short on fuel? rpms were breaking up almost like a rev limiter but it did not sound like a rev limiter at all, it sounded like a fuel issue or a miss. im running straight av gas and its set for 8lbs. the egts were 1250-1280 so it dose not seem to be running lean? the sled has just under 1000 miles on it. only thing i can think of is the fuel filter may be getting plugged and its starving for fuel under long pulls? the hill was not long by any means but like i said this was the first time i have held the throttle open for any period of time. any help would be great. i did have the sled checked at main jet before i bought it, they were the dealer who built the sled. they said its all ready to ride other then a few small things like engine mounts ect. on my way home i stopped by dr johns in kelowna bc who built my grandfathers turbo 13 pro and had him go over the bd fuel box settings and he said its looks perfectly set except he turned one value down 1 point/took 1 number less fuel away in one setting. he has built many of these sled as some of you may know and i trust his work. i will be calling him to check with him but thought i would ask here as well to learn more my self.

thanks for your time

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First issue you are describing sounds kind of like back pressure creating your turbo to "stall" momentarily. This is not good for the life of your turbo. It could be prevented by a blow off valve if your kit doesn't have one?

The second issue kind of sounds like detonation? Try to have a look down on the main screen and see if any codes or check engine lights come on when it happens next time. What are your A/F #'s at wide open throttle? Does this kit have the EBC box thing? Tyler at Backus Racing has been removing those controllers and going back to a manual boost controller and it from what I have heard is eliminating the DET issue that they have. I have heard of a few guys describe what you are describing and not sure why but removing the box thing was the answer. Good luck, and enjoy your new turbo pro! They are a ton of fun

Last edited:

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. i will be installing a bov very soon. as for the det issue, i do not have the ebc. i have the manual boost controller down on the waste gate. i dont have an a/f gauge on the sled either. i do want to install one though. i may ride wens or saturday and i will try to watch for any flashing lights. we have a 5 day trip booked in golden so i want it running good.

Top Bottom