2012 800 Pro Quit on First Ride

Honda619

Reaction score
We just got back to hotel in Revelstoke after first ride on 2012 Pro 800. My 800 died on the trail about 2 miles past the cabin. We let it sit for 10-20 minutes it would start and run for 1 -2 minutes then quit again. Repeat procedure to get back to cabin. Put some gas line antifreeze in and ran great for 6 miles then quit again. It seemed to run good going downhill but quit going up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS - My wifes new 600 pro didn't miss a beat all day and has the same fuel as the 800.

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You running your fuel plug in the ethanol or non ethanol spot? My sled didnt run good when i had the ethanol resistor in, once i switched it to the nonethanol resistor and ran 91 octane fuel with no ethanol its ran perfect ever since. If you have your resistor in the ethanol side and run nonethanol fuel or vis versa it will not run worth a poop.Maybe injectors?

Honda619

Reaction score
The plug came from the dealer in ethanol mode and I switched it back and forth and made no difference. I need to pull the elevation off my GPS cause once I got to the Boulder cabin and lower it ran fine each time it failed was when I was up in elevation from the cabin. When I checked the plugs there was a slight oily feel to them so I wonder if the computer is sending the wrong fuel\oil\air mixture signal?
You running your fuel plug in the ethanol or non ethanol spot? My sled didnt run good when i had the ethanol resistor in, once i switched it to the nonethanol resistor and ran 91 octane fuel with no ethanol its ran perfect ever since. If you have your resistor in the ethanol side and run nonethanol fuel or vis versa it will not run worth a poop.Maybe injectors?

Honda619

Reaction score
Thanks OnlyPolaris- I will check it but on the rough trail comming down it didn't miss a beat?? I'm confused so hopefully my dealer can find the problem. No codes or warnings ever came up either.
Check the connection on the capacitor. Have seen a couple that weren't fully pushed together and would cause what you are describing.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks OnlyPolaris- I will check it but on the rough trail comming down it didn't miss a beat?? I'm confused so hopefully my dealer can find the problem. No codes or warnings ever came up either.

Got a gun........Lol.

luv2ride

Reaction score
I know its a little late for this reply, but my pro did the exact same thing my first ride. I was off the sled kicking the running board and using every swear in the book when a friend of mine stopped. She has always run polaris and she said hers all did the same thing on the way up. Turns out my machine was heating up..put my scratchers down for the rest of the way up and it ran perfect all day. Not sure if yours is the same issue, but worth looking into. Watch the temp and keep it pinned and spinning!

Honda619

Reaction score
I wish it was that but had the scratchers on all the way up the trail and didn't miss a beat. When I looked closer when sled was in garage back at home noticed the air box seat was pinched and an excessive amount of black oil/sludge on the belly pan below the throttle side exhaust. Not a very good PDI in my opinion. To my dismay I called my local Red Deer dealer that I bought it from on Jan.3rd to take it in and the message said "Closed till Jan. 10th. for freakin inventory". I called they're competion in Eckville and they were very accomadating to my wishes and it hits the floor tomorrow for inspection. Hopefully they find a code and its a quik fix. Fingers are crossed.
I know its a little late for this reply, but my pro did the exact same thing my first ride. I was off the sled kicking the running board and using every swear in the book when a friend of mine stopped. She has always run polaris and she said hers all did the same thing on the way up. Turns out my machine was heating up..put my scratchers down for the rest of the way up and it ran perfect all day. Not sure if yours is the same issue, but worth looking into. Watch the temp and keep it pinned and spinning!

09FordFx4

Reaction score
That oily black gunk is probably from the VES line, and around the exhaust.

All Polaris sleds have this.
Once everything gets seated properly the exhaust won't spit oily crap, but the VES line will. Just the way it is.

-Sent from my iPhone

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a longer line on my VES solenoid, routed it under the recoil and it dumps just below the chaincase. Easiest way to not have oily crap building up under the motor.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a longer line on my VES solenoid, routed it under the recoil and it dumps just below the chaincase. Easiest way to not have oily crap building up under the motor.

I did this exact same thing on mine. My sled is alot cleaner under the hood then my dads.

09FordFx4

Reaction score
I ran mine out by the can.
Either way, as long as it goes outside the sled I'm happy.
Don't need that crap in there.

lager99

Reaction score
I wish it was that but had the scratchers on all the way up the trail and didn't miss a beat. When I looked closer when sled was in garage back at home noticed the air box seat was pinched and an excessive amount of black oil/sludge on the belly pan below the throttle side exhaust. Not a very good PDI in my opinion. To my dismay I called my local Red Deer dealer that I bought it from on Jan.3rd to take it in and the message said "Closed till Jan. 10th. for freakin inventory". I called they're competion in Eckville and they were very accomadating to my wishes and it hits the floor tomorrow for inspection. Hopefully they find a code and its a quik fix. Fingers are crossed.
1 week inventory...LMAO

Honda619

Reaction score
Went to Silent Pass for a return ride after Eckville dealer adjusted throttle play and tightened Y pipe and Red Deer dealer fixed airbox seal. Took her to 2200 meters and rode all day without missing a beat. I'm a much happier Polaris owner now. Kuddo's out to both dealers who were very helpful and concerned. Buy the sounds of what I've been reading and hearing the TPS was the culprit.

Top Bottom