2011 etec piston swap

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been hearing stories about a piston upgrade for the 2011 etec under warenty? Just wondering if any of you peeps out there have any info on this? I have a 2011 etec with about 1500 miles on it and was just curious what the scoop is?

Thanks,

Britt

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been hearing stories about a piston upgrade for the 2011 etec under warenty? Just wondering if any of you peeps out there have any info on this? I have a 2011 etec with about 1500 miles on it and was just curious what the scoop is?

Thanks,

Britt

Check with your dealer. Its the real deal.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
just got mine done at 1300 km now just to wait all summer to ride again. real deal no charge and they replaced the stator cause it was looking rough.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why were they into your stator? Not required for the piston recall.:confused:

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

it had to be dropping voltage, you dont just change it under warranty cuz it looks rough? you can see the voltages on BUDS, they had to of done that

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checked the serial number on my 2011 and it falls into one of the motors that have to have the piston swap. Will have to go have a little chitchat with the dealer because I am sure I fall into the mileage rang for the swap out.

Billy Boy:cool:

xpsledneck

Reaction score

dealer has had problems in the past with these stators and desided to changet whell he had it apart hich is good with me as the stator is 600 bucks plus and it was covered under warranty just have to pay the $60 deductable

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
Most dealers are waiting til the sleds get over 1000 kms before installing the 2012 pistons, some dealers have installed them sooner if they're slow.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There have been a small number of higher mileage '11 have stator issues. Alot of the gremlins in these machines can be chased back to the stators and the voltage requirements for the voice coils.

A few short months and we will be riding again. A little maintenance required over the summer. Thankfully not on the '12!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the piston recall done at 2800 km's on mine and now have just over 5200 on it and absolutely zero problems with the motor! I love this sled and i love the free piston recall nothing wrong with free goodies with over 2800 km's on the motor! take it in get them to do recall and get them to check the reeds as well this is a pretty common one on the etecs

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then.... i have seen all these posts with the etec kms being so high... do you think BRP has an engine that will do 8000kms with out major problems unlike the 08 cranks (for an example). Years ago it wasnt unheard of to have a sled go an easy 6-10k without engine issues. Im just hoping as I have been reading lots of posts and seems they have it worked out
RP

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then.... i have seen all these posts with the etec kms being so high... do you think BRP has an engine that will do 8000kms with out major problems unlike the 08 cranks (for an example). Years ago it wasnt unheard of to have a sled go an easy 6-10k without engine issues. Im just hoping as I have been reading lots of posts and seems they have it worked out
RP

Years ago we didn't have 800 twins making 160 plus hp. All the manufacturers with the exception of Yamaha and there 4 strokes have issues with there big twins. Hell some of the new Cats this year never even made it out of the dealer parking lot.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you can only squeeze so much power out of the two strokes then something has to give. With a four stroke you can mod that thing till the cows come home with very little adverse effects on the motor.

Britt

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you can only squeeze so much power out of the two strokes then something has to give. With a four stroke you can mod that thing till the cows come home with very little adverse effects on the motor.

Britt

Running 4 strokes at 12000-13000 rpm only lasts so long as well. You can mod them but they still require preventative maintenance.

All it takes is a valve to be out of spec, a retainer or spring cap to let go or one of the additional rings to break and now you have a $10,000 issue over a new 2 stroke for under $3000.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it has some decent miles on it and still under warranty I would have them check the reeds. The etecs are hard on reeds.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it has some decent miles on it and still under warranty I would have them check the reeds. The etecs are hard on reeds.

Why are they so hard on reeds?
Is that due to required low number on clicker for trail.... and everyone leaves them on 3...4 or whatever setting they are on when unloaded at parking lot?
This has come up in a few conversations this year about the etec

Top Bottom