2011 Duramax Diesel

bspot

Reaction score
CHEVROLET’S 2011 HEAVY-DUTY TRUCKS BUILD ON PROVEN STRONG HERITAGE WITH NEW DURAMAX 6.6L TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

PONTIAC, Mich. – Two factors reign supreme for heavy-duty truck owners: torque and durability. With nearly 1.3 million Duramax diesel engines put into operation since its launch in 2000, no other automaker has as much diesel engine development experience for meeting the demands of the heavy-duty truck customer as General Motors. For 2011, that bar has been raised with the new Duramax 6.6L turbo diesel V-8, which debuts on the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD launching this summer.

The 2011 Duramax diesel brings together Chevrolet’s proven legacy of building capable, durable heavy-duty trucks, along with improved efficiency and durability designed to maintain leadership. Highlights include:
• Significantly more torque and higher horsepower ratings
• Improved fuel efficiency
• Internal changes that enhance strength and durability
• Engine braking system with the Allison 1000 six-speed transmission
• B20 biodiesel capability

“Building on a proven architecture and knowing that our 2011 engine operates within the same boundary conditions let us confidently offer a product that takes performance and fuel economy to the next level,” said Gary Arvan, Duramax chief engineer.

The original Duramax turbo diesel earned its reputation for durability and led the industry with first-in-class common rail fuel injection and aluminum heads with a six-bolt-per-cylinder design. Those attributes formed the foundation for the 2011 engine, with digital modeling and simulation tools used to raise the Duramax’s power and durability benchmarks. It is expected to produce significantly more torque and horsepower than the previous engine, while delivering greater strength and durability.

The internal elements that help enhance strength and durability include:
• The main bearing profiles are changed to enhance oil film thickness
• Oil pump flow is increased for more pressure at low speeds
• The turbocharger’s oil circuit is changed to provide increased pressure at the turbo and faster oil delivery
• The connecting rods’ pin ends are modified to provide increased piston support
• A new, higher-strength piston design eliminates bushings to provide lower reciprocating weight
• An EGR cooler bypass reduces high-mileage soot deposits in the cooler and EGR circuit

The new Duramax 6.6L improves on an already low-noise reputation with double-pilot injection, a strengthened block and, in some conditions, lower rail pressure, contributing to a nearly 30-percent improvement in noise at the engine level. A new 30,000-psi (2,000 bar) piezo-actuated fuel injection system – capable of operating on ASTM grade B20 biodiesel – ensures more precise fuel delivery, improving emission performance and playing a crucial role in reducing high-speed noise, vibration and harshness.

Greater capabilities, cleaner operation
The new Duramax 6.6L helps boosts towing capacity of the Silverado HD trucks to a maximum of 20,000 pounds (9,072 kg), which is best in class. Power and cooling improvements, along with improvements to the truck chassis, were key elements in boosting the towing rating.

The Duramax 6.6L’s variable vane geometry turbocharger and new Allison 1000 transmission make downhill towing less stressful, too, with the addition of a new engine braking system. The feature creates added backpressure in the exhaust, resulting in negative torque during deceleration and downhill driving, enhancing driver control and prolonging brake pad life.

Significantly, all of the Duramax 6.6L’s improvements in power and towing capability don’t come at the cost of fuel economy. Already respected for its efficiency, the new Duramax turbo diesel helps delivers up to 11-percent greater highway fuel economy than the outgoing vehicle. Combined with a new 36-gallon (136 L) fuel tank, Duramax-powered Chevrolet Silverado HD pickup trucks can stretch up to 680 miles (1,090 km) of driving range on a single tank of fuel.

The 2011 Duramax will continue to provide outstanding cold-weather performance, with microprocessor-controlled glow plugs capable of gas engine-like start performance in less than three seconds in temperatures as low as -20 degrees F (-29 C), without a block heater.

When it comes to durability and reliability, no other heavy-duty pickup truck manufacturer has the level of experience as Chevrolet, which is why Chevy backs the Duramax with a five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. The engine has been developed to operate for at least 200,000 miles (322,000 km) on a rough-duty cycle without the need for a major overhaul.

“We recognize that a great number of our customers will use the product to its limits, that’s why we design our durability schedules to test for these heavy-towing customers. We also recognize that having any issues when towing large cargo long distances is much more than an inconvenience. That’s why reliability and durability are top focus,” Arvan said.

GM’s 6.6L Duramax diesel features the latest in emission control technology, making it the cleanest Duramax engine ever produced, with NOx emissions reduced by at least 63 percent, compared to the 2010 model. NOx emissions are controlled via a Selective Catalyst Reduction aftertreatment system that uses urea-based Diesel (Emission) Exhaust Fluid (DEF). The DEF is housed in a 5.3-gallon (20 L) tank and needs to be replenished about every 5,000 miles (8,000 km). Electrically heated lines feed the DEF to the emission system to ensure adequate delivery in cold weather.

The 2011 Duramax 6.6L will also include GM’s second-generation diesel particulate filter system. Unlike most of the competition, the Duramax regenerates its diesel particulate filter using a downstream injection of diesel fuel directly into the exhaust stream and can travel up to 700 miles (1,125 km) between regenerations – a 300-mile (482 km) increase over the previous Duramax engine. The use of downstream injection also helps to improve engine life by eliminating concerns surrounding the possibility of diesel fuel contaminating engine oil, which can happen when fuel used for regeneration is introduced directly into the cylinder.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Wow, now if they could only find a solid front axle...

Love the Chev/GMC trucks, but cant have one that pukes the front end out whenever it enters a jobsite. And so hard to find a 3500 single wheel...I dont understand why GM pushes the 2500HD so hard, when Ford and Dodge sell far more 1-tons than 3/4 tons, but try find one at a GM dealer. Is it the manufacturer, or the dealers? Maybe some of you GM guys can enlighten me...

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, now if they could only find a solid front axle...

Love the Chev/GMC trucks, but cant have one that pukes the front end out whenever it enters a jobsite. And so hard to find a 3500 single wheel...I dont understand why GM pushes the 2500HD so hard, when Ford and Dodge sell far more 1-tons than 3/4 tons, but try find one at a GM dealer. Is it the manufacturer, or the dealers? Maybe some of you GM guys can enlighten me...

There's a better profit margin for the 2500 over the 3500 for the GM mothership. I had a couple 2500s and liked them both more than my Ford except when it comes to pulling, this thing just owns everything I have to pull. For day to day driving I puke a little in my mouth whenever I have to get in it so much so I bought a Jeep Diesel to bomb around in. I will be looking at the new Dmax very seriously when it comes time to get rid of the Ford.

bspot

Reaction score
You don't see many 1 ton single rear wheels because you could only get them in a long box. For 2011 They will finally offer a 1 ton single rear wheel short box.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i just scanned quickly through the article, did it include any change in the HP and TQ? also is the bigger tank only in the the long box version? i hate my 95L (or whatever it is) tank esp towing.

should be due for a new unit by then

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think another reason you don't see many SRW Chev 3500s is they don't have much more payload than a 2500. 400lbs if I remember right. Where as the Fords and Dodges had quite a bit more, maybe the front axel holding back the chev SRW 3500s. Maybe this is why they have increase the front axel capacity for the new dmax? 'bout time!

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
I hardly doubt GM has more diesel experience than Cummins. But what I want to know is, how far can one travel on the urea injection and what kind of dollars to refill?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All i have to say is the cummins engine in the 2500 and 3500 do not need urea injection.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
I'm on board with cummins haveing more experence. GM had a joke of a diesel till they came out with the duramax that has had what 4 differnet versions since it was released. dodge has had a real deisel since the late 80's with only 5 dieffernt engine changes over that hole peroid. 5.9 liter dodges can handle over 1000hp on a stock engine, duramax is limited to 600HP I choose the truck that gets good mileage, has tons of power and a solid front axle.

bspot

Reaction score
They have yet to publish hp and torque readings but are rumored at 425hp and 700 ft/pds. The standard 6'6" box will have the same large fuel tank @ 136 litres. Maximum payload will be 6000lbs. Have not seen prices on the urea but a tank of it will last 8000km's and holds 5 gallons. They say about $2.50/gallon?? The nice thing about urea is that it is so much more efficient to clean the dpf than diesel is, allowing further travel between regenerations. Only downfall is it freezes @ -7c so it apparently will be stored in a heated tank.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have fun paying for urea it's gonna be just like diesel jumped 10 years ago there wasn't much for diesel pickups, diesel price wasn't to bad. Now every soccer mom has a diesel. Urea will SKYROCKET in price in the next few years as GM and Ford diesel will depend on it. I will agree, I just said WTF BS on more engine experience then Cummins, give me a break!

Rumour has it Cummins in 2014 still won't use urea, and possibly not even a DPF to meet emissions. All I can say is, if they can do this, duramax and powerstroke better get their ducks in a row, or it will be their nail in a coffin, their diesel are already behind, it would finish them. I mean WHO would buy a diesel that needs urea when you don't have to?

As far as ride or anything else, my cummins rides like a cloud. Doesn't cost that much to upgrade the suspension a bit, not like they ride bad stock anyways. Anyone who thinks they ride that much different are grabbing at straws defending their GM. My bros 2010 dodge 1500 ride vs my 04 dodge 3500 cummins is MINIMUL.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its funny how the manufacturers have gotten caught up in a hp/tq war in the last few years. Its like the musclecar era all over again but this time with 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. How about a 300hp truck that gets 25mpg in the city? My 04' Dodge with the 305/555 Cummins has plenty of grunt to do what I want. Sure the new trucks do it quicker and the transmissions are an improvement over the 48RE but still, how much fuel economy should we kill for hp?

As for the emissions. Its here, it isn't going away, get used to it. I don't like it as much as the next guy but its the way things are going. DEF is already on the market, I saw if for sale in various size containers at Cummins Western Canada a while ago. I didn't catch a price but its another cost to running a diesel rig.

You guys want a rough ride? Take a ride in my 93 Dodge W250. Makes my 04 feel like I'm driving on pillows... Its a truck not a flippin' car

If GM or Ford can figure out a sensible way to get around the DEF freezing issue, all the power to them. They got some pretty big challenges ahead of them in the emissions department.

My two cents

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
They have yet to publish hp and torque readings but are rumored at 425hp and 700 ft/pds. The standard 6'6" box will have the same large fuel tank @ 136 litres. Maximum payload will be 6000lbs. Have not seen prices on the urea but a tank of it will last 8000km's and holds 5 gallons. They say about $2.50/gallon?? The nice thing about urea is that it is so much more efficient to clean the dpf than diesel is, allowing further travel between regenerations. Only downfall is it freezes @ -7c so it apparently will be stored in a heated tank.

thx for the info, im sold!!!!!!

friend from a gm stealer said his didnt have much info yet but he said he wasnt sure what you could find that heavy to put in your box (7000+lbs) and the fluid for the urea system is pricey $$$

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they not have the urea system on semi's? What do they do to keep there tank heated and what happens when the heating system fails and the piss tank freezes up? For me, i would be filling that urea tank sometimes once a month and what happens if you run out or your in an area that does'nt have urea? can you pee into it?

han solo

Reaction score
The semis tank is heated with an element where the urea is sucked up. Once the engine is up to temp, coolant will heat the tank. With urea, engine will have more timing added back that was taken away, power & mileage is suppose to be coming back. Also less regens is what have been told @ work. There will lots of growing pains, guess will have to keep a jug with you incase. It wont be going away, were stuck with it. I will drive my 03 Cummins into the ground.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
* The '11 Duramax incorporates urea injection, or as GM calls it, diesel exhaust fluid (DEF). Bells and flashing lights indicate when the DEF needs to be refilled. If the tank goes empty, the truck is sent into limp mode

* Coming down the pipe for the '11 Silverado and Sierra should be larger-diameter brakes. We expect 13- to 14-inch rotors.

* The torsion bar front suspension has been retained but features more load capacity.

* 1480 U-joints will be used to handle increased cargo andtowing capacities.

* The AAM 11 1/2-inch ring gear rear axle will be carried over.

* The body and interior stayed the same, but the chassis has been redesigned in order to increase the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).

* The '11 Duramax traded its slower solenoid injectors for quicker opening and closing piezo units. The common-rail fuel system sprays diesel up to 29,000 psi inside the combustion chamber.

So this means, no solid front axle (mistake in my mind) and instead of being called a DMAX it will be a UMAX (for Urea injected).

A 9th injector to dump raw fuel...there goes the mileage...Maybe I should keep my Dodge a few more years :)

bspot

Reaction score
It will not dump raw fuel, it uses urea to clean the dpf. Urea is much more efficient that is why fuel economy will be IMPROVED. When your truck runs out of diesel you cannot drive it, that's why you have a gas gauge. Same thing goes with urea, you will be warned when its gets low.

Top Bottom