2011 850xp Power Steering Issue

cementfist27

Reaction score
Calling all POPO owners!

I recently took my machine in to have the radiator relocated and snorkels done. Mission complete...When I went to pick it up, the power steering light was on and it was not working. I was told that a re-flash needed to be performed and that the dealership was the only place that this could be done.

Of course, my warranty just ran out and there are no recalls on this part.

Has anyone had issues with the 2011's? Any information or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks all.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like he wiring plugs aren't making a good connection in the eps unit. push on the plugs and wiggle the wires on the box. have not had to reflash an 11 myself. not easy to check the fuses and relays now with that stuff on the front rack.

cementfist27

Reaction score
I think that was the problem. The power steering is back! I was really scared due to the amount of issue with EPS that I have read about concerning the XP's. Thanks for the tip.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 started having issues with weak power steering a few weeks after putting the plow on it last winter. Used to be real easy to turn even at a stop then gradually got weaker until it wasn't working at all unless I was moving. Pulled the plow off and after a couple of rides it appears to work normally again, thinking it may have been low battery voltage from operating the plow so much.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '09 suddenly stopped working just days after the warranty ran out, they tried the reflash etc. Nothing worked so the whole gear box had to be replaced $2200. My cost, warranty covered $0 !! Polaris & the warranty company did not care at all that it just ran out days before.
I have heard of many others with very similar problems, and know some of them personally.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it mess up the steering when it's not working? If you were in a bind can you just remove the gearbox and have regular steering? I've never really looked very close at a power steering unit!

cementfist27

Reaction score
You can still use the steering in manual mode without removing anything. I was told just to remove the fuse from the fusebox and you are good to go. Just an update on this... Took it out to Hinton this past weekend and rode some water and mud - had no issues. I truly believe its a connection issue. We are heading up to Grassland for a ride this weekend and will advise if there are any problems.

Top Bottom