2011 / 2012 Valemount Info and Updates

BAP

Reaction score
Hello folks,

This is my first post in this forum and hopefully I will not offend anyone. I am from saskatchewan but have been riding in the valemount area since around 04. I've ridden 3 or 4 differrent riding areas in BC over the last few years and valemount is second to none, as our group can attest to as we always come back. When I hear reports of rough trails I have to empathize.......as I myself have had anger over driving 18 hours to pay 20 dollars to ride 20 to 30 k on solid and I mean solid huge rumble bumps without a break right to the top. However, this phenomena is not just in valemount, but anywhere there is a snowmobile trail. Over my years riding snowmobiles, it sure appears that if the snowmobilers themselves could just ride these trails up as if they were their very own trapping trails or something, that this problem could be mitigated somewhat........all I ever see is people tapping thier throttles and spinning thier tracks all the way up....just can't seem to save it for when they are at the riding area. Actually its amazing that we've hit smooth trails as often as we have, which says something for the groomers. One thing that may help, and that is a big MAY, is an odd sign or reminder on some of the trails to remind the riders, to go as easy as they can on the trails. Now I wouldn't know how to word such a thing, but I am sure the trail maintenance people could come up with something. I realize that alot of these riders are kids and don't even realize that they are making the trails rough, and I know that on the uphill side it may be impossible to keep it smooth, however I have seen some pretty smooth non groomed trails when only certain riders were using them.....and I know these are public trails...... but my opinion is still that the trails could be upkept a little better and easier with some rider awareness of some sort.........I don't know.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

This is my first post in this forum and hopefully I will not offend anyone. I am from saskatchewan but have been riding in the valemount area since around 04. I've ridden 3 or 4 differrent riding areas in BC over the last few years and valemount is second to none, as our group can attest to as we always come back. When I hear reports of rough trails I have to empathize.......as I myself have had anger over driving 18 hours to pay 20 dollars to ride 20 to 30 k on solid and I mean solid huge rumble bumps without a break right to the top. However, this phenomena is not just in valemount, but anywhere there is a snowmobile trail. Over my years riding snowmobiles, it sure appears that if the snowmobilers themselves could just ride these trails up as if they were their very own trapping trails or something, that this problem could be mitigated somewhat........all I ever see is people tapping thier throttles and spinning thier tracks all the way up....just can't seem to save it for when they are at the riding area. Actually its amazing that we've hit smooth trails as often as we have, which says something for the groomers. One thing that may help, and that is a big MAY, is an odd sign or reminder on some of the trails to remind the riders, to go as easy as they can on the trails. Now I wouldn't know how to word such a thing, but I am sure the trail maintenance people could come up with something. I realize that alot of these riders are kids and don't even realize that they are making the trails rough, and I know that on the uphill side it may be impossible to keep it smooth, however I have seen some pretty smooth non groomed trails when only certain riders were using them.....and I know these are public trails...... but my opinion is still that the trails could be upkept a little better and easier with some rider awareness of some sort.........I don't know.

in a day of big mod sleds and turbos etc, people cant hold there throttle in a steady position for more than 5 seconds. OH MY EGT ARE CLIMBING STEP ON IT, shoot now im making too much boost shes gettn hot! better slow down...crap now its loading up!...oh no now its detonatin...better blip the throttle for the next 5km. braaaap.braaaap.brapbrapbrap. and repeat....not me i ride a stock sled LOL

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
in a day of big mod sleds and turbos etc, people cant hold there throttle in a steady position for more than 5 seconds. OH MY EGT ARE CLIMBING STEP ON IT, shoot now im making too much boost shes gettn hot! better slow down...crap now its loading up!...oh no now its detonatin...better blip the throttle for the next 5km. braaaap.braaaap.brapbrapbrap. and repeat....not me i ride a stock sled LOL

.... lol.... somewhat like sex that sledding !

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I can easily stay at a steady speed on my turbo, and actually I find that the majority of people who are off and on the throttle trying to wheelie on the trail are the stock sleds.

With a turbo you gotta keep the rpms down on the trail so you don't burn half a tank of gas just getting up to the riding area lol

Sent from a iPhone

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kruiser, cscherer is a great dude, just hit a small nerve thats all.

hey deep, not looking to create a crap storm at all.....thanks for the above.

My point is simple.....is there a chance to get a mid week groom for those of us that are on shift work and cannot always make the weekends. My group always supports the local establishments as much as possible when we are in town.
I like vale and surrounding areas....so do the guys I ride with. But we also like to be able to walk and ride the next day.

The above is why we do not frequent this area as much as we used to. We go to revy lots now do to the fact that we can pretty much find a groomed trail during the week and any supplies we need are an usually in the town or are only 45mins away.

I am not looking to create a war here but rather a nice groomed trail at any area on a tuesday......

and Curt...see you in chappel tomorrow!!

Last edited:

jaws

Reaction score
could we get back to snow conditions i think the grooming has been explained and covered pretty well by curtis

oly

Reaction score
I can easily stay at a steady speed on my turbo, and actually I find that the majority of people who are off and on the throttle trying to wheelie on the trail are the stock sleds.

With a turbo you gotta keep the rpms down on the trail so you don't burn half a tank of gas just getting up to the riding area lol

I agree. If im getting to hot on the trail up I dont burp and spin track I stop and add alittle fuel so I can stay at a constant speed while still running a decent egt temp. I have those guys in my group with stock sleds ( even after I lecture them about keeping the trail nice ) they just think it's a big race to the cabin. Never fails... I like when when guys blow belts that pass you on the trail, I always hope that it should slow them down a bit!
As fore me, I like to take in the scenery and the beautiful creeks all the way up because when I get to the play areas I'm only looking at lines on the hill or trees to go through and really not paying attention to the beautiful area we are blessed to play in. Then on the way down take it nice and easy to enjoy the veiw and the day that I just had. Beer will still be cold if i'm a few minutes behind the trail racers!
my .02

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Morning all

Reports are coming in slowly, I personally have not been out since tuesday.

Monday in Clemina the snow was great and the few reports coming back are really the same. This area is not hit as hard by the cold and heavy winds we have gotten recently and provides a lot of low elevation access to some good snow and tree riding.

Allen alpine is definately wind effected in the open alpine, although the burn, and sheltered NE Aspects are holding the best snow in this area, although the NE aspects require a bit more decision making and good terrain choices to ensure a safe ride.

Not certain how Chappell is going to be. Not looking like I am going to make it out there today.....

The forecasted snow has not arrived yet and the outlook has changed a bit. Sure a wierd winter thats for sure !

Top Bottom