2011-2012 polaris cut out

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can any one help with info on my sled ,It cuts out some times when I dump on the gas(2011 rmk assault )The dealer said I must run shell gold only And it will go away(no ethanol ) ,Wtf So I dumped the petro gas (the good stuff mined u)And ran shell gold , it went away and thought it Was fixed ,Talked to other rmk riders and they had no idea what I was Talking about ,and then they would say they just Put reg pump gas and go ???Some say they swapped the spark resistor And it went away ??Any ways it's back again and I know theirs others out their ,So can any one help? Cuz apparently my dealer can't ,If I take it their and they can't make it do the cut out ,They will look at me funny and tell me to beat it and say bring it back ,What a joke ,Man this sled is so good other than this ,I have also keep changing plugs to see if it helpsBut no help ??

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you hitting the rev limiter? pro limiter doesn't stutter like most. RPM's just drop off and takes a second to come back. Might need some more weight in your primary. This happening around here or up in the hills?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure you are running the proper weights for your elevations. Make sure your throttle cable freeplay is set right. Try changing the ethanol resistor and see if it helps.

• Recommends
Reactions: cs5

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey It seems to do it around home when ditch bangingBut does not in the pow in the mountains Will it f up something if I switch the resistor ?Is it switched only for race gas or is shell gold ok ??? LolWill it over heat the coil packs ??

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't change the weights when you ride at home it will do this for sure, you need 68's at least at home that motor likes to be loaded hard.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres a small group of plugs wrapped in a bag under the headlight/dash panel. theres been a few cases where some of the wires on the plugs arent fully seated. go through the wires and push the pins in. use dielectric grease between the two connectors as well. mine would cut out when i would push the throttle fully, must have been a certain vibration to cause the plugs to loose contact. might work...

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will look in to the weight deal but going toCheck the plug inthe bag idea first ,cuz my ride Did none of this for the first 150 miles , so I thinkClutching is not the answer as the stock weights serveA prety brod range of rideNo?Any one else with this problem?

flygti32

Reaction score
My 12 600 rmk was doing this 2 weeks ago. I took it to my dealer and they scanned it, no codes came up, i told em i wasn't dreaming this bog issue but they didnt change any parts. I took it out this sun, I've run Shell V-power since purchase ,but have my ethanol plug set on the 10% resistor setting as per polaris saying to do that in Canada ( whatever) . Anyway, went for a good run this past sun. First crack in the field, she bogged, I'm just F'ING pissed at this point, so i stop and shut the machine off, i swapped the ethanol resistor to the premium setting and went 80 miles with out a hiccup!. Sled ran allot better, more snap, better throttle response and gained some rpm as well, I'm leaving it just like this now.

Last edited:

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 assault did the same thing at first i took switched to the non ethonal resistor and have only been running shell V-power. but the problem was the TPS sensor get them to meter it. DO NOT run regular. the pro is super picky with fuel it seems like husky and petro is garbage fuel my streetbike especially doesnt like that stuff.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 12 600 rmk was doing this 2 weeks ago. I took it to my dealer and they scanned it, no codes came up, i told em i wasn't dreaming this bog issue but they didnt change any parts. I took it out this sun, I've run Shell V-power since purchase ,but have my ethanol plug set on the 10% resistor setting as per polaris saying to do that in Canada ( whatever) . Anyway, went for a good run this past sun. First crack in the field, she bogged, I'm just F'ING pissed at this point, so i stop and shut the machine off, i swapped the ethanol resistor to the premium setting and went 80 miles with out a hiccup!. Sled ran allot better, more snap, better throttle response and gained some rpm as well, I'm leaving it just like this now.

My dealer told me to if you run in the 10% eth that your sled will run rich.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I can live with just running shell gold andSwapping the ethanol resitor if that is a fixIs the tps sensor a easy swap out ? Is it a cheap part Why can any of these dealers just be strat up andRecognize the problem and beleave the customerWhen something is wrong with the ride I am sure their is lots of guys with this problem But don't want to admit it cuz their to proud of their new Sled , lol , I did the same for awile untill I ate to much ofThe bull shut

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't start with the weights you are just not hearing good advice, NO MATTER WHAT you need to run the 68's at home so start with that. That engine is not loaded hard enough at 2000' with 62's. If you melt down a piston with 62's in it are you going to cry about what a POS it is ? If you can't understand the concept and reason for changing the weights when you are at different altitudes then you need two sleds, one for home and one for the mountains. I don't want to sound insensitive but you have been told by more than one person to change your weights, if you do and you still have a problem then for sure your dealer needs to have a look but I am telling you flat out if you run the 62's at home the thing will fall on it's face just like it is too lean. You squeeze the throttle and count to 3 or 4 and it's dead correct? Put 68's in it and you will think someone put in an extra 30hp and I am betting it will not stumble.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am hearing u, I will try the weights after the resitor deal Can u explain why for the first 150 kWhen it was new I could run petro Canada 10% ethanol and never had a Hic up?This is why I am not on board with changing Weights every time I go to the real pow

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the first 150km the sled was likely still in break in mode and was running rich. After the break in the sled likely leaned out and started making more power, which probably started an over rev issue at low elevation. I'm with cs5 try changing up to a heavier weight and see what happens.

Reaction score
THink you hit the nail on the head SnowJunkie, Mark I would definatly change weights cs5 is not blowing smoke every thing he stated in Factual and acurate. Lower elevation = more weight in the clutch. It does not take long to change them out; 15 - 20 minutes at most. Alot less time and hasle than a melt down and a new engine.

Reactions: cs5

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KI am going to buy some 68 /weights tomorrow And try out this weekend Also ,if I just run shell gold (as i have been now for a year )is it ok to swap the spark resistorTo the -None- ethanol side ?Will I see any gain in doing this ,or will it run coolerOr hoter ? Or just leave it alone?

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been running in the non-ethanol side with no issues. The sled should run cleaner and have better throttle response. If changing the weights clears your issues, try experimenting with the plug, but watch for detonation. Especially when your ditch banging at home.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KI am going to buy some 68 /weights tomorrow And try out this weekend Also ,if I just run shell gold (as i have been now for a year )is it ok to swap the spark resistorTo the -None- ethanol side ?Will I see any gain in doing this ,or will it run coolerOr hoter ? Or just leave it alone?
I've been running the shell gold exclusively with the non eth resistor have had none of your issues. Installed Dalton adjustable weights to keep RPM's down here.
I only have about 200 miles on my machine so far.

Top Bottom