2010 Polaris RMK 800 Plug fouling? PROBLEM

Reaction score
hey guys I need some help, I went for a ride yesterday(first ride of the season) and everything was going great ran like it normally did rode for about an hour shut it down for about 5 minutes and it went down hill from there I took off an it was running on one cylinder, so I changed the plug on the exhaust side and it was very dirty(also just recently changed since I had it changed an the whole thing checked over by the dealer) started up idled good took off, and the same thing happen, so I changed both the plugs and took off again at about half throttle it was popping and still running like crap, now it has champion plugs in it, and last year I never had to change one all winter, I've also just recently installed a Skinz Super-Q can on it. the check engine light was on, I got home put the stock silencer back on still has issues at half throttle and seems like when the front end hit the ground the check engine light comes on or past half throttle but it doesn't seem to me it blinks -30 right now don't wanna go out an check it out right now haha, any help would be greatly appreciated, I also just ordered NGK BRP9EiX plugs and NGK Caps. Thanks

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might have some water in the gas that is giving issues if it's -30.

Reaction score
well I filled it up with 91 before I rode, and burnt up half a tank before I shut it off, still be an issue?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Throw those Champion plugs away!!! Only use NGK..... imho Also.. it would be good to know how many flashes you are getting???

Last edited:
Reaction score
went for a little ride after work today, was running decent at idle let it warm up to 100, an took off was running good made a couple loops in the lot and then the check engine light came on and just kept flashing, got home shut it down, fired it back up no light. NGK plugs be here tomorrow!

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled and I agree. Throw the Champions in the trash. Put in the NGK's. I have had the exact same problem. If you don't have a fix kit put one in. Also if you are running the wrong weights for the elevation you might get the engine light.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a SLP pipe and can. Do you know which flash you have in your ECM? I have the April 10 flash which runs rich but safe. I found at prairie elevations I would get the check engine light with mountain weights in. Also changed to NGK and add a little Lucas Octane booster to premium for good measure. Also add about 1 cup oil to each tank of gas. These sleds are finicky but once you have it figured out they are great.

Reaction score
Do you think my can would effect the sled at all? and im not exactly sure which flash it is, how would a guy figure it out. Im absolutely positive I don't have my mtn weights in, I like the tip on the octane booster and the oil addition to the fuel. my sled has about 1500 on the chassis, 800 on a factory warranty motor which was replaced because the breather on the oil cap plugged and therefore the pressure sucked the oil tank in an got no oil and blew, last year however I put 700miles on without an issue at all.o you have the fix it kit on your sled TDR?

Last edited:

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if just a can would impact it. I have a pipe also which means more air flow. The flash can be determined by the dealer in 2 minutes. They plug in their computer and it tells which flash. I would definitely recommend fix kit for any 800. My sled only had 400 km and the pistons were showing signs of trouble.

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the info, if it wasn't flashed for april would they be able to flash it, also do you run a PCV on yours?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the MTNTEK fix kit. No PCV required. They suggest reflash to 08 but I have left mine with the conservative April 10 flash until I get more miles on the fix kit. Eventually I will try 08 flash as April 10 flash de-tunes sled but in due time. Also when fix kit installed do a good visual check on the lower tabs of each cylinder. Many of these have hairline cracks in them. After fix kit and NGK's my sled ran way better.

Reaction score
well got a call from the dealer today, and I guess its time for a rebuild. the recommended rebuild kit was the mtn tek kit, which I believer is the fix kit, at first I asked the mechanic about the kit and that's what he said, although they've never installed one yet might as well be mine hopefully I have some good luck with it, gonna, also anyone know the difference between the 08 flash and the april 10 flash, and overall with an slp pipe, can, fuel programmer and this kit with one flash or the other whats an est. horsepower?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well got a call from the dealer today, and I guess its time for a rebuild. the recommended rebuild kit was the mtn tek kit, which I believer is the fix kit, at first I asked the mechanic about the kit and that's what he said, although they've never installed one yet might as well be mine hopefully I have some good luck with it, gonna, also anyone know the difference between the 08 flash and the april 10 flash, and overall with an slp pipe, can, fuel programmer and this kit with one flash or the other whats an est. horsepower?
Is that the RK Tek kit?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AJ - the fix kit is very simple to install. Any reputable shop can do it. I have already done 3 myself this year. The fix kit (MTNTEK) is. Set of pistons and rings and a spacer. Once the top end is removed, the cylinders have to be re-honed and that's when you inspect the lower tabs for cracks. The ring gaps need to be checked for clearance. Pistons installed. Spacer installed. Cylinder installed. That's it. MTNTEK says no fuel controller needed and original 08 flash in ECM. The April 10 flash is the last release and is very conservative (rich in mid range) and de-tunes slightly. I have heard cases where 08 flash doesn't always work great. Little bit of trial and error if you want Max power. You can use PC if you have it. Just need to find a fuel map that works with your setup. Check with shops on this forum for the fix kit price. I believe Chrisco and Elk Island Sales sell a ton of these. Where are you located?

Reaction score
well I found out more on Friday, not good new at all. it was running lean, the cranks bearing spun and now they want 6grand to replace the motor grr. resale of my sled it like 5500 lol, think im gonna look for a new sled and salvage mine

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well I found out more on Friday, not good new at all. it was running lean, the cranks bearing spun and now they want 6grand to replace the motor grr. resale of my sled it like 5500 lol, think im gonna look for a new sled and salvage mine

That sucks!!!! Get a hold of Kelsey at RK Tek, I'm pretty sure he can get you up and running for less than that.

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should also give chrisco at parkland a ring, im sure he would have a few good options for you as well

Top Bottom