2010 m8 primary clutch

wants snow

Reaction score
question on my 2010 m8 sp. with sled idle and running primary clutch seems to be making noise, almost like something would be loose. have about 1000km on it. while driving at higher speeds or high rpm sounds fine and runs great but when slowing down to stop or just idling sled can hear it making some noise. I have mds weight set up. checked bolts, weights, and set screws everything looks good and feels tight. does not seem to be getting any worse have been hearing it for a while. anyone with mds weights notice this also? any input what to check would be great. thanks in advance.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Make sure the rubber O rings are on the weight bolts( nut and bolt head). .Cracked spider maybe. Look close in the middle of the clutch. My m1000 just did this.

wants snow

Reaction score
Hey guys this post is from last year. Same noise still there. Going to open up and look again. Seems like my set screws always come loose with these mds weights. Why would this be? Could this be my noise? I do always tighten them and use red loctite and give proper set time and temp. Friend of mine has a 08 crossfire 800. My sled is a 2010 m8 . 1400 miles. Anyone know if the primary clutches are the same that I could swap them. Trying to pick some brains again and see if anyone has seen this after this post last year. Any info appreciated.

Uptown

Reaction score
My set screws were coming loose on me. Found that Cat says use a green loctite, i will have to look up the actual loctite number. Also i did find that you have to apply the loctite to the hole in the weight, not the set screw itself. seems to squish the loctite out when putting it on the setscrew. Will be a bugger to remove when properly done. do you have the black primary spring? Oh also did you line up the dimple in the weight bolt, where the set screw tightens on? I have a 2010 m8 as well, just put a new primary on at 3500km. It does make a little noise at idle but not like the old one did. Hope that helps

Uptown

Reaction score
Clutches wont swap i dont think, could be wrong. the 09 and older are standard threads on the clutch and crank, 800 HO went to metric hardware and clutch and crank and puller.

wants snow

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Stupid what I found but got it in my head it was a clutch noise. Nope. Two things I found. Rivits holding the power valve servo motor are loose and rattle at idle. In that area so I could see it. How ever the real loud noise was actually the front shock on rear skid upper bushing is worn and rattles with certain weight in seat. Found this by fluke leaning on sled looking at the servo motor. Was driving me nuts hearing the noise. Mabe it will save someone else from opening there primary clutch over and over. Thanks for all the input guys.

Top Bottom