2010 M8 jerky takeoff

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My M8 has started having rough engagement from idle. Best way I can describe it is "jerky". Instead of a smooth engagement it seems it has to idle up and the clutches are harsh. I did a lot of searching and found peeps were saying to change the belt which I did. Helped a bit for about 2 hours and now back to what feels like snapping clutches. Willing to try anything so any ideas?

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My M8 has started having rough engagement from idle. Best way I can describe it is "jerky". Instead of a smooth engagement it seems it has to idle up and the clutches are harsh. I did a lot of searching and found peeps were saying to change the belt which I did. Helped a bit for about 2 hours and now back to what feels like snapping clutches. Willing to try anything so any ideas?

Check your secondary spring, it might be broken.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

put a lower engagement spring..

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have this same issue with the wifes 2010 M8. There was a upgrade spring for the primary so I changed it. Still engages harsh though. What did you find worked the best?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely check to see if the weights are sticking as it can cause it to engage harsh. But also check the spider to make sure all the rollers are good but also check that spider has not cracked as that will make the clutches bind up. In my '09 + '11 M8 rentals i dont run the stock primary spring i use a different one that lowers the engagement abit but the biggest thing is it makes it engage very soft and smooth and yet still performs awesome on the top end.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have this same issue with the wifes 2010 M8. There was a upgrade spring for the primary so I changed it. Still engages harsh though. What did you find worked the best?

Finally got it in to the dealer to have a look. They replaced the primary spring, adjusted the belt deflection and checked over the clutch (primary and secondary) for anything else they could see. Didn't make a bit of difference so back in it goes.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got it in to the dealer to have a look. They replaced the primary spring, adjusted the belt deflection and checked over the clutch (primary and secondary) for anything else they could see. Didn't make a bit of difference so back in it goes.

Have them check the bearings in the diamond drive.

mountain_tamer

Reaction score
Your primary is shimed too much so when the belt wears it makes too much of a gap and that is the snapping (jerking) motion you feel. Mine does it too when my belt wears.

To cure it I got the ABC kit from thunderproducts so when my belt wears down I can adjust my primary to have about 15-20 thou clearance between the belt and the shivs

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely check to see if the weights are sticking as it can cause it to engage harsh. But also check the spider to make sure all the rollers are good but also check that spider has not cracked as that will make the clutches bind up. In my '09 + '11 M8 rentals i dont run the stock primary spring i use a different one that lowers the engagement abit but the biggest thing is it makes it engage very soft and smooth and yet still performs awesome on the top end.

I do like the engagement with the gold spring on my M1.
Are you using the gold spring on your M8's Glen.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do like the engagement with the gold spring on my M1.
Are you using the gold spring on your M8's Glen.

Hahaha. You bet we are. They work very well. I use them in all my rentals and it is funny how many guys that rent them have buddies that they ride with that are on cats ask what we have done to the clutching because they say how much nicer they are than there stock set-up.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. You bet we are. They work very well. I use them in all my rentals and it is funny how many guys that rent them have buddies that they ride with that are on cats ask what we have done to the clutching because they say how much nicer they are than there stock set-up.

As always thanks for the tip Glen:beer:

mark4

Reaction score

Its the shimming of the pri clutch, too much clearance too the belt, should have under .020 "
Terra Alps has shim kits for these

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the shimming of the pri clutch, too much clearance too the belt, should have under .020 "
Terra Alps has shim kits for these

If it was the shiming of the belt then why wouldn't it have done it from the beginning. Because the clearance shouldn't change, until belt wears down abit anyways, then just change belt and good again. Because if it's shimmed to tolerance for a worn belt then it'll be tight tolerance with a new belt.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had more than a few cats this past season that came in with weights that had shifted do to missing or broken set screws. The weights would shift on the pins and bind on the spider. Have a peak to ensure your weights are still sitting centre on the pins.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He does say in the begining it was good for 2hrs with a new belt. Wouldn't rule out clearance issue.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He does say in the begining it was good for 2hrs with a new belt. Wouldn't rule out clearance issue.

It shouldn't wear a belt enough to make it jerky in 2 hrs. If it wears the belt that fast i'd be lookin into why it's wearin the belt so fast.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Look for bad roller or a sticky weight in primary.

I have to agree, bad primary weight caused by a bad roller in my clutch caused a notch to be worn into the weight. terrible for your crank, and also terrible for the clutch and belt. Check you spider for worn bearing rollers in your spider, and the clutch weights, spread your clutch and look at the weights with a trouble light. It will be pretty obvious the angle wont be a smooth angle, it'll be wavy.

Top Bottom