2010 M8 front cooler crack, and drive shaft removal

sven_68

Reaction score
Hi

I recently took a rock up the front of my track and punctured a small hole in my front cooler(2010 M8 HCR). I plan on having hole welded. I have the diamond drive removed, and the brake rotor removed. The drivers and shaft are free and loose, but I want to remove the shaft from the bearing housing on the brake side but cannot get the shaft to come out of bearing housing from brake side. Am i missing something? i cannot see any retaining clips on either side. I would like to remove it all too free up space to get at damage and repair it. is there a trick to doing this?

thanks

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem about a month ago. Just needs some lube and a little persuasion. If you are pounding on the end of the shaft, use a block of wood to prevent damaging the threads.

tekim :D

sven_68

Reaction score
ok sounds good. I have been using a block; however the first block i used broke and i did connect with the threads and put a good ding in the first outer thread. that strange nut will not thread on now.. anything i can do? that would require a big die to fix it... im in a pickle now...

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not uncommon to screw up the nut while taking it off, but if the threads on the shaft are dinged then it might take some work to get it back on. Black Diamond Extreme sells a and . You might be able to find someone local who has the socket that would let you borrow it. I put on a new nut, and it was pretty tight to get back on.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just take a small file and clean up the threads that are damaged.

What he said. Get a small triangle file or something similar, start a couple threads in and go towards the end, just go along the thread pitch with the file, when you get to the outer thread and dinged spot you hit near the end, clean it up so that the thread pitch matches. Be very careful when threading the nut back on the first time to make sure it resets the threads.

To get the shaft out you just gotta give it some love.

Top Bottom