track install issues

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just putting in another 3" and ran into some issue, not sure if anyone else has the same problem. Got the shaft in an all to the chain case side ok. When i go to install the brake caliper and retainer ring, it seems it does not want to seat properly. When fully tighten up against the tunnel, i cannot put the c-clip on for the brake rotor. You can see a gap between the bearing and the brake rotor. As well the retainer ring is not flush with the tunnel or tight up against the bearing. Is it possible that the bearing could have moved when i was origionally pullying the brake caliper off?? The weird part is on the chain case side, this looks proper as you can install the gear and c-clip on that side.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always run into these issues. rubber mallet on the chaincase side should do it. or it is possible the bearing moved. but i would pull the shaft to check and fix that.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had the same issue with mine putting a 2.5 on and i just tapped the driveshaft on the chaincase side with a rubber hammer and it moved enough to put the c clip in.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dug... Forgot to put some anti sieze on the brake caliper support. Done deal, after a little tap. In retainer is a little bent on this one... Thinkin is is not to critical as it is so thinnly made.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oler1234 are you sure that the retainer isn't broke. Had same problem awhile ago and the ring was bent and after closer inspection it was cracked. Also with looking at the retainer it is machined to fit around the bearing so being bent it will not sit flush against the axle bearing.
I know it is a pain in the arse to pull back out and change but better in the shop and now rather than a pull home.
The old 3" is going to put alot of strain on things and for a $15.00 dollar piece a person may want to change it.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oler1234 are you sure that the retainer isn't broke. Had same problem awhile ago and the ring was bent and after closer inspection it was cracked. Also with looking at the retainer it is machined to fit around the bearing so being bent it will not sit flush against the axle bearing.
I know it is a pain in the arse to pull back out and change but better in the shop and now rather than a pull home.
The old 3" is going to put alot of strain on things and for a $15.00 dollar piece a person may want to change it.

after inspecting it, yes it is bent. but i really question weather the ring actually provides alot of support. Its attachment points are somewhat in the wrong place for one. second the bearing, 80-90% of it sits in the brake housing, and thirdly it looks like some or of cheap pot metal aluminum. It more or less looks like more of a centering device for the bearing when re-applying the brake caliper. could probably bend it back with the shaft still in place with a little brute force and ignorance lol. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom