2010 M8 crapped out

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the power valves are 8 ft lbs and blue loctite I can't remember what the reeds are.

About half the time you'll strip the holes out if you torque those power valve bolts to 8 ft lbs. Been there, done that, tapped more than one of them out to 1/4-20 NC to get them back together. Now I just snug them up with a 1/4" drive ratchet and blue locktite. Don't have my manual handy, but I suspect the reed cages being the same size bolts are the same torque spec....same aluminum too, so probably the same problem.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
About half the time you'll strip the holes out if you torque those power valve bolts to 8 ft lbs. Been there, done that, tapped more than one of them out to 1/4-20 NC to get them back together. Now I just snug them up with a 1/4" drive ratchet and blue locktite. Don't have my manual handy, but I suspect the reed cages being the same size bolts are the same torque spec....same aluminum too, so probably the same problem.
Next time try heli coils. I did my cylinder head bolts with heli coils I feel a lot safer now

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally broke down and downloaded the service manual ($4.99) online. According to the manual...96 inch lbs. or 8 ft. Lbs which I did and by the grace of someone...non stripped!
Now that being said...one of the exhaust studs came out when I was taking off the Y pipe. I tightened it back in again, although it doesn't feel as snug as the others.
Guess I'll ride it a bit to see if it leaks...but hoping it won't.

thanks everyone for all the valuable advise��

Uptown

Reaction score
Ya heard of the reeds breaking but have never seen that bad! lol good to know.
i changed mine to boysen rage cages around 3000km. Stockers still look ok, tiny chip at the ends of the reeds.
the stocker reeds are a bit pricey so i put the dough towards the rage cages. Runs goooooood.

Top Bottom