2010 / 2011 Valemount Updates

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In these avy conditions, I would consider these areas a no go until things settle

Agreed, just wonderered if they'd been broke into yet. Posted to get this thread back on track onto riding conditions, but you took care of it already:beer:

Did the snowfall warning bring in more fresh btw?

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, just wonderered if they'd been broke into yet. Posted to get this thread back on track onto riding conditions, but you took care of it already:beer:

Did the snowfall warning bring in more fresh btw?

All riding areas have been receiving snow this week. We rode tuesday and conditions were amazing ! Very envious of you guys riding chappell today:eek:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Special Public Avalanche Warning
Widespread Weak Layers Cause for Concern for Recreational Backcountry Users

January 20, 2011, Revelstoke, BC: The Canadian Avalanche Centre (CAC) is issuing a special avalanche warning for most of the mountainous regions of south and central BC. The warning is in effect immediately, through the weekend to end of day Monday, January 24.

The warning applies to the South Coast Mountains east of Pemberton (Duffy Lake region); the South Chilcotin Mountains (Bridge River, Carpenter Lake, Anderson Lake area); the Columbia Mountains from the US border to Prince George; the North Rockies, north and east of Prince George (including areas around Mackenzie, Chetwynd, Pine Pass, Tumbler Ridge, and Kakwa Provincial Park); the Southern Rockies forecast region; the Mountain National Parks (Rogers Pass, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Jasper and Waterton Lakes); and Alberta’s Kananaskis Country. For a map of the warning area, go here: avalanche.ca/spaw/2011-01-21.

CAC Public Avalanche Warning Services Manager Karl Klassen says the main concern is weak layers deeply buried in the snowpack. “The nature of these layers is a bit of a mixed bag,” he explains. “Different regions have different problems but the fundamental concern applies across the board—there’s up to two metres of new snow sitting on some kind of fragile layer. That new snow is starting to settle so natural avalanche activity is slowing down. Without natural avalanches as a warning sign, and with the settled snow offering easier traveling conditions, backcountry users may be tempted to push into more aggressive terrain, which could be a deadly choice.”

The CAC is urging all recreational backcountry users to stay away from large, steep and complex slopes. When triggered, avalanches are expected to be large, often running much farther than expected. Avoid avalanche terrain in the alpine. If you do go into the backcountry, stick to small, simple terrain below treeline and stay out of avalanche runout zones. Everyone in the party needs an avalanche beacon, probe and shovel and at least basic avalanche training. Group leaders need advanced training and everyone should check the current conditions at avalanche.ca before heading out.

For an introduction to avalanche training, take the CAC’s online avalanche course: avalanche.ca/cac/training/online-course.

CAC Forecast Regions
Karl Klassen
CAC Public Avalanche Warning Services Manager
250.837.2141 (230)
kklassen@avalanche.ca

AlbertaSummit

Reaction score
Rode chappell today. Stuck within 15 min of bein off the trail. Socked in heavy. But so much snow. 3'+

Coldpussy

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek:WOW powder was sick today in Chappel! Snow conditions are all around incredible! Gonna ride Allen tomorrow! look for the AC Z1 turbo from Rough & Tough Lloydminster and check it out! Wow! its one hell of a tractor! At least sounds like it!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aren't tractors to heavy to float on the pow...you must have a few stuck pics

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tried to get into the oasis Friday. Made it up so far as the first cut block where the trail ends and turned back. Snow was stupid. Worn out 2shovels. Lol. Stuck everywhere we went. 5 miles to be exact. When I can figure out how to upload pics from I phone I'll post a few of us being stuck everywhere.

Awesome, we will be riding there on the 27th I hope nobody breaks in there lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we dont suck this bad at riding...just seems the camera only comes out when were stuck lol. lots of snow too much fun to stop! ill have a SHORT video later today. i smoked a stump full bore. skidoos sure are tough :D exhaust system poped off thats how hard i hit

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well that was in mcbride. its pure sugar from ground level up about 2 feet. it was taking some decent force to make it shear on that level. all the new storm snow in the upper layers were fracturing with medium force but werent erally propigating. from my interpretation of the pit the surface layer of snow is likely to slide at a depth of about 30cm as of this weekend. after that we were seing signs of the snow shearing near ground level. unlikely to slide but more devistating if given the right trigger

Top Bottom