2009 xp 800 jetting???

high mark

Reaction score
I have a 2009 xp 800 and I was just wondering what guys are running for jet sizes in their sleds, I usually ride Mcbride, Houston and Smithers Areas as far as elevations. I was told 480's are stock. How far can you jet down and still be safe? The only add on I have is a exaust can on the sled. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard of guys going down as far as 460, and one guy with a 07 going down to 440. My uncle has a 08 and he ran 460s then put it back to 480 and he said that there was no noticeable differences. They run good at stock so I would leave it there a little fat is better then lean. IMO

high mark

Reaction score
thanks for the info, I was just wondering if there was any gains at all to jetting down or if it would be noticable enough for fuel consumption to gain some milage

Ekim

Reaction score
I have an 08 800R and went from 480's to 450's and did not notice a drastic change in fuel consumption or performance.

sledshedrevy

Reaction score
the needle positon makes the most fuel economy jetting change .stock mains with a 10ths less on stock needle height works well , even with pipe and head squish and added fresh air we thought the upping the mains would be what the motor wanted but after running them a bunch we found we were back at stock mains and stock needle settings with these mods so the stocker can benifit a bit from the needle going down .
but if you want better milage out of r motors , one needs to make them pull stronger below 7000rpm .
we do this with our mod we do to the rave valves and a bit of a head squeeze on the stock head
give it more out side air and useing a slp pipe or any after market pipe as far as that goes .
clutch the motor to take advantage of the added usable 3000rpm between 4000 and 7000 and then they get better fuel economy .
stock they want to engage you late and run you over 7000 , this is due to the sound level requirments that a sound test at a drive by speed has the factories hand cuffed .
hence the etec and doos better approach with this motor and how they finally take advantage of the power valve use and the lower ex port height ,makeing more usable torque with out haveing to spin the motor over 8000

Top Bottom