2008 summit xp

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a used summit xp probably a 2008.

Being the first year of the new chassis is there any problems
with these I should look out for?

How do these stack up against a 2009 assault?

If anyone has a Summit xp for sale right now or know of any good deals
on one please let me know.

Any advice is greatly appreciated:beer:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. Anybody hear of problems with the jackshaft breaking on them?

Sounded like Bs to me but thats what someone told me.(they also ride an artic cat...lol)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it wasnt the jackshaft

it was the driveshaft

forgot to mention that.

ALOT of them were going.

one of ours was welded one wasnt they are both holding up but who knows.

it was a dealer warranty so if ur buying make sure and ask if that UPDATE was performed.

not fun pulling an xp off the mountain. much easier than a CAT THO :D

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When they first came out they had a few issues, but with the recalls and the dealers fixing the problems, I have managed to put close to 5000 miles on mine with no issues the last 2 years. The first belt I broke was at about 3000 miles after I pulled out a Polaris 700 Dragon off the mountain, and the next day a Modded Artic Cat. Who knows maybe I'm 1 of the lucky ones though, but I love mine!!!:d:d:):):d:d

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 3 in our crew and nothin but good things to say. of course manufacturer updates were done regularly. :twocents:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool most of the ones i've been looking at say All updates done,,so i guess
thats a good thing!

5000miles on your 08xp wow I definatly don't want yours..lol

Jk but I'm hoping to find one around 1000kms or less would be ideal
definatly no more than 2000km's. You know from a guy that never uses it:beer:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problems with my 2008 XP, all updates were done, still on original belt 1,500 miles

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...wish I could say no problems with mine. All the updates have been done and am sitting around the 800 km mark. The pto side crank bearing piled up on mine and the motor was changed out with a new one under warranty. I ran a couple tanks of the doo oil through it before switching to amsoil interceptor and then the bearing failure happened. Needless to say that I'll be using the doo oil from now on.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shitty deal,,So you think it was the oil that caused your engine problems?
I guess i'll be running Doo Oil...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a low miles 08xp 163 with 880motts bigbore,simons ski's,can,quick clikers and i think a few other little things.

What else can can I do to it for more hp?? and other good mods??
I was thinking about maybe some NOS, Good or Bad idea??
V-force reeds??

And i'll probably get tunnel braces and some sort of side vents?

Any good places to find after market parts for XP's?(light wieght parts,engine parts ext.)

Any advice would be appreciated,I don't know to much about the 880motts
bigbore, but It's supposed to work pretty good,so any knowlege you could share about it would be great!

003-7.jpg

duner

Reaction score
I've heard the Motts kit is one of the best for those, supposed to work good. A lot of guys are putting on the after market billit thermostat housing, really helps with the second and third climbs and when ever it's warm. Nitrous works real good on those too but you need to send the ECU away to have the rev limiter removed. There is lots of shops around with lots of after market parts. There is a shop in Sylvan Lake called Extreme Machines. They are close to you and they are real good and there is lots in Ed & Cal as well. Good luck with the new machine.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard the Motts kit is one of the best for those, supposed to work good. A lot of guys are putting on the after market billit thermostat housing, really helps with the second and third climbs and when ever it's warm. Nitrous works real good on those too but you need to send the ECU away to have the rev limiter removed. There is lots of shops around with lots of after market parts. There is a shop in Sylvan Lake called Extreme Machines. They are close to you and they are real good and there is lots in Ed & Cal as well. Good luck with the new machine.

I'll probably wind up getting part throughs Extreme Machines, but I'm just trying to figure out what kind of trick parts are out there for the XP.I don't really want a bunch of down time ither as my riding season starts real soon, so sending away my ECU may not be an option.I'll have to look in to that.

cattamer

Reaction score
Cool most of the ones i've been looking at say All updates done,,so i guess
thats a good thing!

5000miles on your 08xp wow I definatly don't want yours..lol

Jk but I'm hoping to find one around 1000kms or less would be ideal
definatly no more than 2000km's. You know from a guy that never uses it:beer:

we have a 2008 summit x 146" yellow i9n color on our lot 720miles on it excellent shape if interested pm me thanks

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 2008 summit x 146" yellow i9n color on our lot 720miles on it excellent shape if interested pm me thanks

Thanks, but I already picked one up,,there is a pic of it on the previous page;)

If I wind up not liking the 163inch track I'll let you know(i kinda wanted a 154 or maybe a 146)

But the 163 looks pretty good, so i'm going to give it a chance:cool:

Thanks anyways:beer:

cattamer

Reaction score
Thanks, but I already picked one up,,there is a pic of it on the previous page;)

If I wind up not liking the 163inch track I'll let you know(i kinda wanted a 154 or maybe a 146)

But the 163 looks pretty good, so i'm going to give it a chance:cool:

Thanks anyways:beer:

oh by the way the 2008 is a 154" the 2009 is a 146"

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Um.. Im positive they made a 146" and a 154", 163" all in 2008 too! :d

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Have had no issues whatsoever with my 08. All I did is all 09 upgrades were done by Martin under warrenty. I clutched it and put a can on to help with excess heat build up. Also removed shrouding etc around belt to help with air movement.
My buddy though has had nothing but overheat issues with his :mad::mad::mad: and the machines are identical. I seriously wonder if mine was built on a Wed. and his was built on a Fri.????

They finally replaced sensors and problem solved but that blew two mountain trips!!! I would ask to test drive first. You can tell if they run hot after a half hour driving. Or at least ask why the guy is selling it in the first place.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Um.. Im positive they made a 146" and a 154", 163" all in 2008 too! :d

I relise that, but i never found any that came with a motts 880,simmons skis ect for the price I payed;)

I'm pretty sure I'll like it, I just like to hit big jumps on my sleds and hit moguls at mach speed,the 163 is
longer than what I'm used to, but i think it'll work ok.

I put on some tunnel reinforcements and rail stifners. Now I'm looking for
a bulk head brace? I'm not as worried any more ither, if I bend it up I'll
get one of those trick aftermarket tunnels I've seen on here.

And if I just hate the 163 i'll look for a 154, but I don't think a couple more
inches of track on the ground will be to bad.

It would be nice If i could get it to 200hp+ but I'm starting to think thats unrealalistic for this motor.(execpt maybe on NOS):beer:

Ps I got my sled from Extreme Machines,I've dealt with Dan before and I trust him. He said the sled kicked ass, but
the guy who rode it got a turbo yamaha....Some guys just gotta get that high mark...lol

But I'm not a point and shoot guy really, I like boondocking,jumping,,cliff drops ect,,and I bet the sled will climb great with me on it...lol Plus I can't afford the race gas turbo Assault I want this year.(I could but that leave way less money for sleding trips!!)

Top Bottom