2008 Scrambler 500 Amperage for a winch

boiler146

Reaction score
Good Day

I'm going to buy a winch for my scrambler.

If someone could please tell me the amperage a 500 scrambler produces that would be great.

ALSO

If a 2000 lbs. winch is rated for 100 amps and my altenator pushes out 50 amp do I ONLY get 1000 lbs. pulling power???

AND

Winches make the worst bush bumper!!! Take it from me!!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The amperage to run the winch comes from the battery. The stator produces 240 watts max. So the battery will charge at 240 watts less the other present electrical loads.

Winches are rated with the cable cleanly wound on the base of the drum, a straight pull with no fairlead, a constant supply voltage of 14.4 volts on the factory wiring. Reality is you seldom pull straight, you always use a fairlead of some sort, the cable is wound over itself, there are two or more wraps on the drum, and voltage is sowhere south 10 volts. I would be surprised if you have 1000lbs of pull power on average, in fact most of the time your lucky to get 800lbs.

boiler146

Reaction score
Once again NOT a Bush bumper!!

Attachments

• Not a Bumper 001.jpg
    Not a Bumper 001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Not a Bumper 002.jpg
    Not a Bumper 002.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 172

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right, not a very good bush bumper.

Since you will be replacing the winch anyways let me save you some future grief. The OEM bumper will break with the winch mounted to the outside of it like that; which is the reason why Polaris quite making winch mounts for the Scrambler and why there are very few that make mounting kits.

Either get a aftermarket bumper and mount the winch to it (thought it is a shame to hide a nice bumper with a winch) or move the winch inside of bumper (between the bumper and the radiator). Mine is inside the bumper and so far I have not had any bumper break off, but I do check the bumper for cracks a couple time each ride.

When the bumper breaks, it will pivot down and dig into the ground or/and goes through the rad. Not good if coming off a jump or a hard bump at speed.

boiler146

Reaction score
Thanks again Garryese

If you could provide a picture of your mount or a suggested aftermarket bumper that would allow me to incorporate a winch that would be great. I have found only one aftermarket bumper available from DG; from the pictures on Royal Distrubuting catalouge I cant see a mount for a winch.

Now I am a welder by trade so fabrictaing a mount isnt out of my realm of possibilities BUT I'd prefer a manufactured mount / bumper!!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DG bumper is too nice to be adding a winch to and there is not enough room between the bumper and rad to mount it. And you already know a winch does not make a good bush bumper.:d

My mount is made of the Warn mounting plate that comes with the winch and two peices of triangule shaped plate I had hanging around. I am no welder and it only took me about an hour to fab this up.

Attachments

• 0729091505.jpg
    0729091505.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 0729091504.jpg
    0729091504.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 189
  • 0729091504a.jpg
    0729091504a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 0729091504b.jpg
    0729091504b.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 0729091505a.jpg
    0729091505a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 181

boiler146

Reaction score
Kudoos on the winch mount thats SLICK!!!

No copyright involved I hope?? lol

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hows the cooling withit right infront of the rad,must cut down on the airflow?My buddies got a DG with the winch looks good,he hasnt rode it much sice install.most of the people I ride with ride rackers so there always awinch or 2 available so Im not gettin one,thats what friends ar for.LOL

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's what is stuck inside the rad that causes overheating, not what is in front of it. There is still lots of room to pressure wash the rad out after every ride. Hot light has only been on once and that was because it got packed up with snow/ice; That happened before the winch was there.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah so the light does come on ha,Ive never had i come on since new but then again I clean the whle thing after every ride.

boiler146

Reaction score
Funny you should mention the Rad light ... mine has been going off like a set of cherries on Whitemud during rushhour!!! Just recently found out I should be washing rad out after most rides through deep mud. I'm pretty sure I've baked the sensor out now, I'll keep ya posted.

AS WELL

The long weekend was a boiling hot 30 degrees all weekend so that prolly didnt help ethier.

Top Bottom