2007 Grizzly Axle CV Joints

tjrishel

Reaction score
Just bought the quad and noticed the front axle outside boot was ripped. drove her for the weekend and want to change the the CV joint cause I could hear it during sharp turns in 4x4. What is the best/cheapest place to buy a quality CV joint for this axle? I hope I don't have to buy the whole axle:eek:

Rhino Rick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought the quad and noticed the front axle outside boot was ripped. drove her for the weekend and want to change the the CV joint cause I could hear it during sharp turns in 4x4. What is the best/cheapest place to buy a quality CV joint for this axle? I hope I don't have to buy the whole axle:eek:

Should be able to buy "half an axle". Just did the neighbors 400 and he got a half axle from Royal distributors along with a boot kit. The only thing I didn't like about their kit was the rings for the boots. They were some cheap ones (in my opinion) that required a special tool to tighten. When I did my Rhino I just bought locally but the normall rings are much easier to install.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Royal is good and gets stuff to you within a week or so ............ just make really sure you get the correct model number etc. when your ordering. They have an on line catelogue you can check.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your local dealer may have one in stock, if not they can usually order and have in 1 - 2 days.
Kimpex has CV joints that they sell individually for like 99.99 bucks - comes with the boot.

tjrishel

Reaction score
Will order from Royal. I see you can just buy the CV. I take it is just spline into the axle? Not to hard to get apart?

mudhunter

Reaction score
I did my left rear last year on my 2006 and it wasn't bad at all.. It doesn't just slide out there's a split ring than seats in a groove. Steady pressure should remove it..
If I remember though, you'll have to remove your caliper(hang it with a piece of tie wire) to remove the rotor to get in far enough... Should be 1 1/16" socket and breaker bar to get the Nut off... (Set the wheel nut with a dull chisel or something relatively blunt ) I learned the hard way and damaged a nut..... I'd have to check but you may have to disconnect the steering arm as well, a cotter pin and nut I believe....

Good luck..
Mudhunter

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably best to replace the axle nut.8 bucks from yamaha.undo boot clamps slide large end of boot away from outer joint.then you will see a large clip just inside the large joint.pull it ou and the joint will come apart.next there will be a snap ring on the splined axle shaft holding the cross on.very simple and easy to do.dont use the moose brand boots! junk! oem boots arent expensive $53 for my wifes 08 grizzly.clamps included and easy to use.never had to replace a cv joint so dont know what the quality is i used royal dist. last week with very good results good luck!!!:d:d:d

mudhunter

Reaction score
If it meant staying home I'd try the hundred mile an hour tape![media]https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif[/media]

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
clean up the joint real good, pack it right full of new grease, put a new boot on and keep riding. A few guys I ride with have had the joints seize up on them and just cleaned and greased and they are still riding on the same joint.

grizzly se

Reaction score
If its new your dealer should give you a new boot for it . [If he is anygood of a dealer] change the boot your self. if you have guards I would check the clearence. Mine had new gaurds installed when it was new and one gaurd was tweeked a little so it ripped the boot when I turned

Last edited:
Top Bottom