2007 Duramax

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who is running these trucks and what issues you have with them. Looking at one with the old body style so not the LMM motor. see a couple new trannies in them, comon?? what else??

Thanks in advance

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 and have had zero issues. Odd that the tranny was replaced. Might be a sign of an abused truck. If you are buying a used diesel probably best to buy from someone who was original owner. Too many oilfield trucks around that you definitely don't want.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Late model 2006 , early 2007 (classic) Can have head gasket problems. Some will go for a long time before trouble but they will go.

Last edited:

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EGR delete is a must on these trucks. Pump rub on the transfer case is after 250,000 kmish, there's an easy fix u can get for too before it starts to wear. I'd say a chip took out the tranny jmo though... over all a good truck I think.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i should have stated that the tranny in the truck im looking at didnt go, just seen some others on kijiji with new trannys. it completely stock with 160,000km on it. Just wanted to see what issues were comin up and what to watch for. Buddies 07 has had a tranny and a new front end, but he also pushed about 500hp thru his stock tranny so no surprise there. Heard if your gonna chip them to do the transgo JR shift kit???

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woodsie can you explain the pump run on the transfer case. I've never heard of that. What's the fix?

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's fairly easy job to do too...I did it in 4 hrs on my front lawn by myself.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard if your gonna chip them to do the transgo JR shift kit???

My understanding is they make the tranny able to hold up to a 100-120hp tune, but this depends on transmission condition, as well as how it is driven, but the transgo kit still does nothing to help the torque converter hold more power.

IMO I would keep it to a 70hp tune or less unless you are willing to dish out the money for a new trans and converter, but I would also install the transgo kit to go with it.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding is they make the tranny able to hold up to a 100-120hp tune, but this depends on transmission condition, as well as how it is driven, but the transgo kit still does nothing to help the torque converter hold more power.

IMO I would keep it to a 70hp tune or less unless you are willing to dish out the money for a new trans and converter, but I would also install the transgo kit to go with it.
I would say it depends on the tune used. I have limped my trans on a 70hp tune with an edge tuner. I am now running a 120hp EFI Live tune and I don't think I can limp it on that. I have run it very hard a few times and no issues.
To the OP I would say go for it with that truck if it looks good. I had an '06 that I sold with 356K on it running strong. I did a few front ends, 1 set of injectors and trans cooler lines twice. That was it for the life of the truck.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the tune used. I have limped my trans on a 70hp tune with an edge tuner. I am now running a 120hp EFI Live tune and I don't think I can limp it on that. I have run it very hard a few times and no issues.

Ultimately its the torque that limps the trans, although holding capacity is generally defined in terms of hp, I'm sure your edge tune made more torque than the EFILive tune causing the transmission to limp.

To the OP, I would seriously consider the truck if in good condition, it should be far more reliable than a powerstroke of similar age, and very comparable to the 5.9 Cummins. These motors seem to last forever when taken care of, but the pump rub issue is something that should addressed, as my T-Case just went out at 321,000kms.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love mine, I've been pushing large tunes for a long time and still ok. Built trans though. I'd just be sure to floor it on the test drive and make sure it feels ok.

Front wheel bearings are known to go, easy to feel when you jack the front end up.

Hourmeters were known to reset for no real reason mine reset a bunch of times before I replaced the batteries and now shows 1500+ hours. Just be aware they may be higher than indicated.

Great trucks overall.

'12 T4

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have an 06 duramax, built transmission, had the transfer case blow a hole in it when i got it from previous owner. Chain broke from him doing 4wd launches i'm assuming. Got my truck dirt cheap, my truck has almost 382,000km on it now, no record on replacing injectors, injector pump, replacing any head gaskets, or anything else.

LB7 had injector problems.
LLY had head gasket, if problems with injectors the ice pick routine fixed it.
LBZ was a solid motor, no common problems.
LMM had the emmision crap.

If left on a low tune no transmission problems will happen.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
running a new body style 07 lmm with a 180hp efi live tune. zero issues ad have been running this for 3-4 years

it just plain and simple works , end of story

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke the crank in my '07 at 220 000km. It's a hit or miss deal-some break some don't. I am pretty hard on it though and drive it like it raped my mom!!
Probably one of the best trucks I've owned apart from that. Pump rub kit is minor to do. Throw a trans-go in it and you should be good to go.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 duramax, built transmission, had the transfer case blow a hole in it when i got it from previous owner. Chain broke from him doing 4wd launches i'm assuming. Got my truck dirt cheap, my truck has almost 382,000km on it now, no record on replacing injectors, injector pump, replacing any head gaskets, or anything else.

LB7 had injector problems.
LLY had head gasket, if problems with injectors the ice pick routine fixed it.
LBZ was a solid motor, no common problems.
LMM had the emmision crap.

If left on a low tune no transmission problems will happen.

Yeah that basically sums it up. The lbz is the bread and butter of the duramax world. I have heard of pistons cracking if you run a big tune with lots of fuel but there isn't really any common problems with them. Egr delete and efi live with your choice of power settings and you are good to go.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom