2005 Rancher AT 400

jgensur

Reaction score
I was told my angle sensor might be bad and that is what is causing my ESP to blink "---" and will not let me go in reverse. Does anyone know what this sensor looks like, where to find it on the quad, and/or how to take it out and check to see if its broke. Any help would be great. Thanks.

tredeb

Reaction score
I was told my angle sensor might be bad and that is what is causing my ESP to blink "---" and will not let me go in reverse. Does anyone know what this sensor looks like, where to find it on the quad, and/or how to take it out and check to see if its broke. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I am not familiar with that quad, but that is what my Rubicon does. Do you have the little knob that lets you change from D1 to D2 to ESP? If so you probably have the same tranny as a rubicon.

Although the angle sensor is a common fault with these quads, I have had electrical problems cause the same thing. When the relay for my winch was shot, I would get this error and if I screwed around with the winch control I could get it to go away.

At any rate, the angle sensor is accessible if you take the left side panel off the engine. It is right on top. I am pretty sure I found information on this site regarding checking it and I think some people have even removed them and resealed them to get them to work. Try a search, good luck.

Timmay

Reaction score
I have a 2001 rancher esp and am having tranny problems too. Sometimes it will shift into reverse with the electric and sometimes it wont. Any help would be great. thanks

RedBoy400

Reaction score
The angle sensor would do it. Those sensors seem to be common problem from what I've read. This link very well illistrates the importance of the Hondamatic motor-swash-plate and its angle in the operation of the Hondamatic auto trans.

In simple terms, and parden my french, if that angle sensor is sending wrong info, $&!# gets F@*%ed up with the trans.

I'd go to a Honda dealer for more advice. I have an '05 Rancher FourTrax 400 AT and nothing has gone wrong with it yet, but i plan on going to pick up a new angle sensor anyway.

The angle sensor is on the clutch cover beside the shift control motor ..
The angle sensor tests are more accurate if you test the sweep with an old analog type ohm meter ..

**Above is an '04 Rancher 350 i believe everything is in same location**

hope that helps :beer:

fl1000

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Fourtrax AT 400( Same as rancher ) and am having shift problems.

Pulled the angle postion sensor off with power off and tranny in neutral.
This sensor is spring loaded and changed position as i pulled it off.How do i rewind it(clockwise or counter..) and install it in the proper position.

I tried reinstalling in this postion but now i get the six blinks in the dash associated with the sensor and was not getting any blinks before removal, it would just be hard to get into reverse or would stay in drive when i put it back in neutral

thank you

Top Bottom