2005 900 RMK trouble running

2005rmk900

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble getting my 2005 900 RMK to stay running. I took the sled out for the first ride of the season a couple of weeks ago and it ran great for the first 30 miles give or take. The first time it happened I was riding along at about 35MPH and I cracked the throttle a little bit and it died just like you had hit the kill switch. So I then pulled and pulled and pulled until it finally fired back up and I rode it for about another mile or and it seemed to run great, and then it did the exact same thing! So at this point I called for a ride and went and got my truck and hauled it home and put it in my heated shop thinking it was possibly freezing and icing up. So we got it back to the shop and let it thaw out for a couple days and put a pretty good dose of isopropyl alcohol, and took it for another short ride and it did the exact same thing. So at this point we thought it might be a sensor causing the trouble, so we unplugged the probe in the exhaust pipe and took it for another short ride and it did the same thing again. So we then plugged that sensor back in and unplugged the water temp probe in front of the head, and took it for another short ride and did the exact same thing AGAIN! So its back in the shop again here now and I'm all out of ideas on what could be causing this malfunction. Anybody else out there have any ideas of what to check next? or what could be causing this? Has anyone had similar troubles? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble getting my 2005 900 RMK to stay running. I took the sled out for the first ride of the season a couple of weeks ago and it ran great for the first 30 miles give or take. The first time it happened I was riding along at about 35MPH and I cracked the throttle a little bit and it died just like you had hit the kill switch. So I then pulled and pulled and pulled until it finally fired back up and I rode it for about another mile or and it seemed to run great, and then it did the exact same thing! So at this point I called for a ride and went and got my truck and hauled it home and put it in my heated shop thinking it was possibly freezing and icing up. So we got it back to the shop and let it thaw out for a couple days and put a pretty good dose of isopropyl alcohol, and took it for another short ride and it did the exact same thing. So at this point we thought it might be a sensor causing the trouble, so we unplugged the probe in the exhaust pipe and took it for another short ride and it did the same thing again. So we then plugged that sensor back in and unplugged the water temp probe in front of the head, and took it for another short ride and did the exact same thing AGAIN! So its back in the shop again here now and I'm all out of ideas on what could be causing this malfunction. Anybody else out there have any ideas of what to check next? or what could be causing this? Has anyone had similar troubles? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

there is a couple of posts on here in regards to the throttle position sensor
do a search

2005rmk900

Reaction score
We are getting the supplies tomorrow required to build a TSP tester/calibrator!

Thanks for now!

2005rmk900

Reaction score
IROC 4307- I replaced the fuel filter and the old one was partially plugged and hard to blow through, and took the sled for a ride again and still did the exact same thing

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First things I would do, is see what goes away when it quits.
Run it to the point it quits and then check for spark, and fuel.

How do the plugs look?

Have you verified good compression?

have all factory updates been done? (there was one for the lines and float inside the tank which were known to basically dissolve causing all sorts of runability problems)

Building a TPS tool is great, most of them are out of whack from the factory so it's a good idea to set it, and know how to test it. I'm not convinced this is your problem however.

2005rmk900

Reaction score
DiscoDan - That would work but after the sled quits it seem to fire up right away within 3 pulls all the time
- Plugs look good
- no I haven't tested compression yet
- when I bought the sled I was told that "all" updates had been done to this sled, but I cant be sure of this because I am not the original owner of this sled, so I was planning on calling my dealer with the VIN number off the sled
- I got the TPS tool build and tested in and it was within spec so as you and I both though that wasn`t the trouble

Thanks for now

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DiscoDan - That would work but after the sled quits it seem to fire up right away within 3 pulls all the time
- Plugs look good
- no I haven't tested compression yet
- when I bought the sled I was told that "all" updates had been done to this sled, but I cant be sure of this because I am not the original owner of this sled, so I was planning on calling my dealer with the VIN number off the sled
- I got the TPS tool build and tested in and it was within spec so as you and I both though that wasn`t the trouble

Thanks for now

Re: the bold, yup call and have them check, and get a compression tester on it so you can eliminate that.

I am almost suspecting stator problems, research how to test the stator... lots of info on Snowest. defective electronics sometimes have a habit of failing at high temp. This is why I recommended you check for spark when it dies.
Good luck

Top Bottom