2004 yfz head need info

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to replace my 450s cylinder head .On my 2004 I had my oil plug blow out on the front of the cylinder head causing a loss of oil to one of my cams causing it to grind into the cam journal.
The question I have is will the cyl head off a 2005 YFZ fit? or better yet a 2006 head.They look the same except for that they did away with the plug in the casting. The 2004 head is $876 U.S roughly $1249 Canadian. 2005 head is $856 U.S and the 2006 head is $ 604. Would be nice if I could use the 2006 head, sure would save me a pile of $$$.

ghglenn

Reaction score
Is it the cylinder or the head that you need? If cylinder, I would go after market. 488 BB kit's from CT Racing are inexpensive.

If it is the head....that sucks.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check eBay out the stores usual have good deals. And the cnd dollar is better Than the usd so watch who you buy from

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'l definitely buy a new head. Either from Babbits on-line ,Ronnies .com or a Canadian dealer if the price is right. I know the 2004 and 2005 have a small combustion chamber and the 2006 has a bigger one but flows better than the 04/05 head but I need to Know if the 06 head bolts right on. All the other part interchange but need to know on the head.:confused:

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ebay has new heads. just do a search. here is one.

call them they are great to deal with and are way cheaper than the prices you were told.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks psullivan. I did a search but I'm thinking I'll stick to a stock head with no porting done. This way I'll know it runs like it did before. I don't have the time to tune this quad so I'll let my kids ride it, so I'll keep it stock. I'll ride my Banshee.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again psullivan. The head shown was from a YFZ 450R. Found another one for YFZ 450 wasn't gonna take it but now it make $$$ sense to me. $1040 for a head Candian $$$ and checked out a U.S. site and found a new one for $519+$50 shipping +duty ang gst. The bad part is it's one month away, told it has to come from Japan. Not to be crule I don't want my quad to glow on its own.
Ordered the head should be here next week. I guess for the money I save I guess I'll have to do some tuning.:d

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No beer here. Called this morning to check out make sure things were getting shipped out. Well turns out I bought Trinity cylinder race porting, not the head with porting like I thought, wasn't what I was expecting. So I asked how much for the new head and was told $500 . He had them in stock but were all ported, so I said ship it out. Still cheaper than Canadian.

looneyrod27

Reaction score
Whats this no beer stuff all about lol. I do believe that the 06-07 head will fit on the 04 cylinder. I think you would have to get the newer head gasket, the coolant ports are a little different but she should boilt right up. I did this with a yfz last year. Are you heading to brule for May long? A few of us from here in the Mac will be there and yes there will be beers and a mental midget with us haha. (TRXDEAN) haha

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Looneyrod 27. Checked on head gasket same one on 2004 and 2006-7. So that should be good. Any suggestions on Big Bores. Might need to replace cylinder also.. Cylinder works has a big bore same as ct racing but none available right now. Might even get stock one replated

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh Ya! I'm trying to work things out to go to brule May 21.
:eek: I sure hope so. Sure sounds like it's gonna be a good time.

looneyrod27

Reaction score
go with a cylinder works kit. I am building an engine for a friend now on a 2004 yfz. He bought the full kit from ebay. comes with stroker crank, 98 mm cyl, piston etc. also comes with complete gasket set and a top end gasket set and crank bearings as well. I think he paid less than 800 for the whole kit. Makes it a 501 cc i do believe. I will let you know how that works out.

looneyrod27

Reaction score
If you choose to replate your cylinder, I would recommend Mongoose Machining in BC. Top of the line work and a reletively quick turn around time considering it has to come all the way to Ft. Mac. I would imagine it would be even quicker to get to you.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$ 290 at mongoose for replating, $250 cv-tech, $360 from yamaha in canada. U.S should be alot cheaper, and with the $ at 1.06 WHOOOHOOOO:d:d:d:d
Shippings probably $30.00+.:confused: Which way to go. Will keep on looking around for now.

Top Bottom