2003 dodge ram blower motor resistor

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had my blower motor resistor go on my dodge twice in the last 6 months. Does anyone know if this is a common problem on these trucks?? It's getting annoying but it could be worse atleast the motor still works on High speed.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You need a new heater motor...... When the blower motor resistor keeps blowing, it's because there is too much resistance in the blower motor, and the resistor pops........... Just my 2 cents..... Replace the heater motor, and you'll be good!!!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its the resistor and not the control switch? I'm not sure about 3rd gen Rams but I know older chevys had issues with their fan switches only working on certain speeds.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its the resistor and not the control switch? I'm not sure about 3rd gen Rams but I know older chevys had issues with their fan switches only working on certain speeds.

i'm sure it's the resistor blowing cause when i replace them they are burnt and when the new one is installed all the speeds work again. thanks though.:beer:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a new heater motor...... When the blower motor resistor keeps blowing, it's because there is too much resistance in the blower motor, and the resistor pops........... Just my 2 cents..... Replace the heater motor, and you'll be good!!!

this makes senses the truck does have 167000 km. Thanks. I'll look into, i'm might have to take over my buddies garage to change it out.:beer:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a HD tech too thats why i always ask about automotive stuff before i dive right in so i don't over look something. The resistors in 24H graders are in the switch/are the switch.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hey i'm a hd tech too thats why i always ask about automotive stuff before i dive right in so i don't over look something. The resistors in 24h graders are in the switch.

ya, most automotives have a seperate resistor block of one type or another.......... They actually use airflow from the heater box system to help cool most resistors........ Newer vehicle that are digital, use heat sinks to cool them, with the airflow

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually its funny that this whole resistor issue was posted. Just today I replaced a blower motor on a A30D Volvo (30 ton articulated haul truck). Not only that but its the same truck that I replaced the resistor on last summer. It got a little too warm and melted the housing:eek:.

I like the heavy iron:d

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
actually its funny that this whole resistor issue was posted. Just today i replaced a blower motor on a a30d volvo (30 ton articulated haul truck). Not only that but its the same truck that i replaced the resistor on last summer. It got a little too warm and melted the housing:eek:.

I like the heavy iron:d

just throwing this out there, but you have to wonder why the resistor got a little too warm, and melted the housing...... I would suspect too high a resistance in one of the heater system circuits and the most likely culprit would be the heater motor......... Switches sometimes get a lot of resistance through the contacts inside the switch, too, and sometimes require replacement..... I might be thinking too deeply for heavy duty vehicles, but i would be looking for a cause as to why the resistor overheated again(within a year)..............maybe i should challenge my heavy duty ticket, and i'm sure i could doo it........just no time.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just throwing this out there, but you have to wonder why the resistor got a little too warm, and melted the housing...... I would suspect too high a resistance in one of the heater system circuits and the most likely culprit would be the heater motor......... Switches sometimes get a lot of resistance through the contacts inside the switch, too, and sometimes require replacement..... I might be thinking too deeply for heavy duty vehicles, but i would be looking for a cause as to why the resistor overheated again(within a year)..............maybe i should challenge my heavy duty ticket, and i'm sure i could doo it........just no time.

Its only done it once (overheated the resistor). And I replaced the resistor with no issues since. The complaint this time was the fan motor howling and grinding like a banshee. The old motor was fairly stiff to turn over and had some play in it. I don't think your thinking too deeply for HD stuff. I find the Volvo's are fairly automotiveish (new word, write it down LOL) under the dash. Sometimes their electrical systems can be a nightmare though... I prefer Cat's way of doing things, a little more simple IMO.

Might as well challenge your HD ticket. I don't know what your hydraulic experience is but I know that gave a lot of the highway truck guys grief last time I was in school. Can't wait for 2nd year though, I get a nice 2 month break from the shop in 3 weeks:)

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Had same problem on my 03, had to replace the wiring harness and ignition switch as wires had melted and destroyed the plug's in the steering column.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
had same problem on my 03, had to replace the wiring harness and ignition switch as wires had melted and destroyed the plug's in the steering column.

again........high resistance somewhere causes the wiring to get hot and eventually melt the casing, then causing direct shorts... The connectors and ignition switch and probably the heater switch, too, would all be replaced, or at least the wiring repaired. Replace the heater motor, as that is usually the cause of the high resistance........

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yup i agree also whos resistor are you using there is an aftermarket upgrade looks like the new gm set up instead i have not had one of thone new designs come back into shop yet but multiple failures could be motor or poor motor ground

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
Had the same problem in my '03 durango. The service manager tells me it's common in this generation of truck.

My '76 Dodge aspen had a similar problem with a ceramic resistor in the ignition...if it got wet... or the sun went behind a cloud, I was replacing it :confused:

Seems to me ceramic resistors in dodge have a history of causing troubles...

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
thats y pretty much all resstors now are telephonecard style

i barely put any ceramic ones in any longer

easiest way to test ure blower motors is to jump it with a batterie and put a 10 amp fuse in the power cable
if it pops the fuse ure motor is not good causing ure resistor to fail

(this is actual dodge test procedure) just thought i let u know :)

koda9192

Reaction score
If you haven't bought a new resistor yet go to any dealer there and get
PN# 68004539AA. this is a HD resistor that came out in 2006 and up models and is the same as the old one just a HD version. I am a parts manager at a Dodge dealership and can tell you once we've put in the HD version we have had no problems since. All dealers in Edmonton show having this one in stock.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The resistor was definitly blowing because of high resistance else where and it was in the blower motor, which i was told about. The new motor I bought spins nicely by hand and the old one barely wants to move. Now im just waiting for my new resistor to come in! Thanks for all the help guys! The old motor has been in the truck since new, and the truck has 170,000km on it. Not bad at all for the motor life.

Top Bottom